• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Definitely not an out of car window Transfer Thread

I don't think there's any chance we want Edwards back.

However, I do suspect we might be working on a deal that would involve waiving our sell-on on him, in exchange for a lower fee on Porro. We did something a bit similar with Bale and Southampton didn't we, where we paid a fee in exchange for cancelling their sell-on.

We did pay Southampton £5 million or so to buy out the Bale ell-on clause at a point when they were eager for funds.
If we really are in for Porro then there's no way that the Spurs team aren't thinking of whether the Edwards clause can be productively leveraged. But as it's a 50% clause, and because a sale of Porro incurs 30% to Emirates Marketing Project, it isn't difficult to see that a double deal could financially suit both sides.
On the playing side, Edwards gives me mixed feelings. I was so excited by him as a young player and to see that he has actually gone abroad and worked hard to succeed is great. He's also a homegrown player who should be more than a fringe, bench option which is really important for the squad.
Seeing this sort of thing for us and not against us regularly would be great (mute video)

But if he came back to London, would the 'professionalism' issues manifest again?

Last edited:
Herc on SC reckons Conte DOES want both Porro and Edwards. Who knows though.. doesn't feel very 'Conte' does it?
Seems like a clever double deal similar to Kulu and Bentancur which saw us save money on Bentancurs Boca sell on fee wasn't it?

We did pay Southampton £5 million or so to buy out the Bale ell-on clause at a point when they were eager for funds.
If we really are in for Porro then there's no way that the Spurs team aren't thinking of whether the Edwards clause can be productively leveraged. But as it's a 50% clause, and because a sale of Porro incurs 30% to Emirates Marketing Project, it isn't difficult to see that a double deal could financially suit both sides.
On the playing side, Edwards gives me mixed feelings. I was so excited by him as a young player and to see that he has actually gone abroad and worked hard to succeed is great. But if he came back to London, would the 'professionalism' issues manifest again?

I think as you & @Gutter Boy said, lots of logic to a deal being done where we make some concessions on Edwards to get Porro now.

Re Edwards, I really don't think he's a Conte player

Valid point re the high press, only Richi & Gil actually press consistently from the top
The players aren't pressing because the manager doesn't play a pressing game. Occasionally in the second half of games we play something of a conditional press (usually trying to get the opposition to pass to a specific player/position and then the team tries to give them no passing options and bear down on that player to turn over the ball) but never a full press.

On the playing side, Edwards gives me mixed feelings. I was so excited by him as a young player and to see that he has actually gone abroad and worked hard to succeed is great. He's also a homegrown player who should be more than a fringe, bench option which is really important for the squad.
Seeing this sort of thing for us and not against us regularly would be great (mute video)

But if he came back to London, would the 'professionalism' issues manifest again?
I would be very surprised if a youngish player with 'professionalism' issues managed to become a regular starter for a team like Sporting Lisbon. Edwards' numbers at Sporting this season have been excellent - a goal or assist in 3 of every 4 games played. I think, as a minimum, he would be a scarily good last 20 minutes sub for us this season. He also has the skill and balance to become an absolutely incredible player.

The players aren't pressing because the manager doesn't play a pressing game. Occasionally in the second half of games we play something of a conditional press (usually trying to get the opposition to pass to a specific player/position and then the team tries to give them no passing options and bear down on that player to turn over the ball) but never a full press.

It's true that Conte doesn't play a pressing game with us. Nor should he, we don't have the players for it.

Conditional pressing, at times, is definitely the way to go with this squad.

The City thing is interesting. That gives incentive to Sporting then to lower the Porro fee.

E.g. Porro £40m (Sporting get £28m, City £12m). Edwards to someone in the summer £40m (Sporting get £20m, Spurs £20m). Net for Sporting = £48m

Or Porro £20m (Sporting get £14m, City get £6m). Edwards £40m (Sporting get £40m). Net for Sporting = £54m

If we are looking at bringing a former youth teamer home, I'd much rather we went for Madueke than Edwards

My mind can't help but start to think about Pochettino and how he would play if given our current squad and then who he would want to upgrade ASAP to give us the best chance of success....
Something like the below perhaps if considering those at the club already and he wanted to continue with the diamond that he was trying to put in place towards the end of his time at the club?

------------------------------Lloris
---------------Romero------------------Lenglet
-----------------------------Hojbjerg
Spence----------------------------------------------Sessgnon
-----------Bissouma/Skipp?-------------Bentancur
------------------------------Kulusevski
----------------------Kane------------Richarlison/Son

That above team probably needs a new keeper who is better with the ball at his feet than Lloris and also comes off of his line like Lloris used to do 8 years ago (Brentford's keeper might be a good fit). It would also be crying out for a better (more physical and fast) centre back than Lenglet (Ndicka would be my pick here, especially as he has played as a LB and it is essential that the CBs in a Poch team can defend one on one against wingers). Also perhaps a better option than Bissouma/Skipp in midfield, though I think both are far better than they have shown this season. I think Poch could mould that team above (with Lenglet replaced with a proper fast, physical CB) into a team that could be better than the sum of their parts. If Poch did end up back at Spurs then it wouldn't actually massively surprise me if Regulion and one of Ndombele or Lo Celso came back to the club. I also wonder whether Rodon might be suited to at least be a reasonable back up player as a centre back playing in a two with protection from an out and out holding midfielder.

If we persist with Conte then I think we need to add more players.... At a minimum, a keeper, two new CBs, a RWB and a rotation option for Kulusevski.
Why use all the dots and spaces when you post a formation? Just type the name and separate with comma, and use a new line for each of defence, midfield and forwards.
This is how it looks on mobile they way you have done it.
Screenshot_20230105_133435_Chrome.jpg

Edwards and Gil very similar players.

Watford's Sarr would make a great RWB. And cover the wide-forward positions. Mentioned him here as a good singing a long time ago.

One quality CB would be helpful. But we have some stability with the lineup from last night. If there aren't any top-notch CBs available now, then happy to stick with the incumbents. Injuries to them are a big concern though.

It's true that Conte doesn't play a pressing game with us. Nor should he, we don't have the players for it.

Conditional pressing, at times, is definitely the way to go with this squad.
I'm not discussing the merits of playing the pressing game or not. I'm just stating that commenting that players in our team don't press is a bit futile as they're not told to so we don't know who can/can't/will/won't press.

The City thing is interesting. That gives incentive to Sporting then to lower the Porro fee.

E.g. Porro £40m (Sporting get £28m, City £12m). Edwards to someone in the summer £40m (Sporting get £20m, Spurs £20m). Net for Sporting = £48m

Or Porro £20m (Sporting get £14m, City get £6m). Edwards £40m (Sporting get £40m). Net for Sporting = £54m

If we are looking at bringing a former youth teamer home, I'd much rather we went for Madueke than Edwards
Why would you rather Madueke than Edwards?

I would be very surprised if a youngish player with 'professionalism' issues managed to become a regular starter for a team like Sporting Lisbon. Edwards' numbers at Sporting this season have been excellent - a goal or assist in 3 of every 4 games played. I think, as a minimum, he would be a scarily good last 20 minutes sub for us this season. He also has the skill and balance to become an absolutely incredible player.

https://www.tribalfootball.com/arti...dwards-leaving-tottenham-proved-right-4434401

His manager said this about him only a few months ago:
"he is maturing, something that comes with age, but I think he can improve a lot. He has got the talent but can still improve when it comes to his training, to his schedules and to keep up that high level daily, not only in matches but in his daily life when it comes to being a football professional,"
But if that maturation continues, the penny really drops, then I'd love him to return and be a success for us.

Last edited:
I'm not discussing the merits of playing the pressing game or not. I'm just stating that commenting that players in our team don't press is a bit futile as they're not told to so we don't know who can/can't/will/won't press.

We can know a bit about how they would do based on how they've done previously when asked to press and based on our impressions of their physical condition.

Badishielle signed a 7 1/2 year contract
Are Chelsea just spending the £800m in one hit and then not planning on buying and selling ever again…

Badishielle signed a 7 1/2 year contract
Are Chelsea just spending the £800m in one hit and then not planning on buying and selling ever again…

Quite possibly trying to get in assets that can be traded in future if it doesn't work out etc, Moneyball for posh people perhaps :D

Is he much good though and will we regret not going for him (i have seen tenuous links/discussions in the past)?

Back