• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cristian Romero

Just to be clear some of you are blaming him for both our goals against Saudi Sportswashing Machine?
Yes, he was poor for both goals. He;s not the only one at fault but he makes a big contribution. The first one he runs out of defence and makes zero effort to get back. The second one the ball comes down the channel between him and Udogie. He has no idea where Murphy is and leaves him with a clear run through on goal.

Didn't see the game, but get the impression that Dragusin played well and Romero mostly did, but cost us 2 goals. Arguably, Romero has cost us 5 points this season, but that might be am exaggeration.

I guess the question becomes whether we line up with Dragusin and VDV when the latter is fit again? Alternatively, we just trust that Romero will come through the other side and sort out these key moments.

I have a feeling all 3 will be getting a lot of football this season.

Unfortunately for Romero, some of what he is NOT doing is basic defensive movements. The second goal, what is going on in his head?, does he think that's acceptable as a contribution towards negating a goal? Perhaps (in his head) he thinks he contributes enough?

All 3 of our other defenders bodies are angled to run back as soon as Joelinton breaks free from Madison

He is a fantastic defender and great to watch BUT if it's a flaw to his game (and mindset) it is enough to cost you over the course of a season.

It's mainly the transition stuff he struggles with, he's not switched on/noticing enough. He needs to judge where the danger is or might be. It's not always with the player who has the ball.

Unfortunately for Romero, some of what he is NOT doing is basic defensive movements. The second goal, what is going on in his head?, does he think that's acceptable as a contribution towards negating a goal? Perhaps (in his head) he thinks he contributes enough?

All 3 of our other defenders bodies are angled to run back as soon as Joelinton breaks free from Madison

He is a fantastic defender and great to watch BUT if it's a flaw to his game (and mindset) it is enough to cost you over the course of a season.

It's mainly the transition stuff he struggles with, he's not switched on/noticing enough. He needs to judge where the danger is or might be. It's not always with the player who has the ball.

He struggles where were dominating
Sounds daft but his brain doesn’t engage when we need it defensively
When we need to defend… he is a warhorse and great
Very odd mix

Didn't see the game, but get the impression that Dragusin played well and Romero mostly did, but cost us 2 goals. Arguably, Romero has cost us 5 points this season, but that might be am exaggeration.

I guess the question becomes whether we line up with Dragusin and VDV when the latter is fit again? Alternatively, we just trust that Romero will come through the other side and sort out these key moments.

I have a feeling all 3 will be getting a lot of football this season.
First goal he rushes out to press, concedes a throw in and stops in no man’s land
They play 4 passes and score whilst he is still in no man’s land

Second goal, Maddison attempts to tickle joelinton (he was on a yellow TBF)… he bounces off him so he can then make a very good pass. But when the ball is played Romero steps up whilst everyone else turns. Then their pace comes into play
The key was he jogged back
Didn’t make any effort to help

He's not a fantastic defender. He's fantastic at tackling and when in a battle but the majority of great defending is about reading the game, concentration, and knowing where the danger is. Sadly he lacks in those.

Is the thing he does where he stands still and puts his foot on the ball for 10secs looking for a forward pass part of the overall game plan or just his own style of play?

I find it REALLY annoying to watch but if it's deliberate to try and attract the opposition to come out to the ball then fair enough.

Is the thing he does where he stands still and puts his foot on the ball for 10secs looking for a forward pass part of the overall game plan or just his own style of play?

I find it REALLY annoying to watch but if it's deliberate to try and attract the opposition to come out to the ball then fair enough.
It’s both I think
It’s him asking them to come to him so he can play around them
And it’s also his natural way of playing

Yes, it's deliberate. When it works it's great, but yes can look like it's unnecessarily slowing us down.
Brighton's centre-backs in particular do this as well.

I really don't get some of this criticism of Romero.

Rushes out for the first goal, to close down and try to win the ball back after we clear the set piece? We have other players staying back, we have players in the box when they score.

Second goal is a tough one. Udogie and Dragusin turn to follow the runners, but still don't get there. Romero tries to play offside. Neither option is a safe bet, but playing the offside seems fine. It's always going to be dangerous when the high press is broken through. There's even a Saudi Sportswashing Machine player between Romero and Bissouma for Romero to worry about.

For Romero's instincts to be more "push up" and VdV to be more covering in those situations makes perfect sense. Not easy to adjust to having Dragusin there instead perhaps. But still, it's far from a horrible decision and no worse imo than Udogie and Dragusin playing the player onside, but still not getting back in time.

We'll always concede some goals from when our press gets bypassed, if there wasn't that negative side to a high press all teams would press high all the time. Meanwhile that high press helped us dominate Saudi Sportswashing Machine for half an hour. We just need to take advantage of that.

Rushes out for the first goal, to close down and try to win the ball back after we clear the set piece? We have other players staying back, we have players in the box when they score.

Second goal is a tough one. Udogie and Dragusin turn to follow the runners, but still don't get there. Romero tries to play offside. Neither option is a safe bet, but playing the offside seems fine. It's always going to be dangerous when the high press is broken through. There's even a Saudi Sportswashing Machine player between Romero and Bissouma for Romero to worry about.

For Romero's instincts to be more "push up" and VdV to be more covering in those situations makes perfect sense. Not easy to adjust to having Dragusin there instead perhaps. But still, it's far from a horrible decision and no worse imo than Udogie and Dragusin playing the player onside, but still not getting back in time.

We'll always concede some goals from when our press gets bypassed, if there wasn't that negative side to a high press all teams would press high all the time. Meanwhile that high press helped us dominate Saudi Sportswashing Machine for half an hour. We just need to take advantage of that.
Him rushing out is not his job. He ends up being deep into Saudi Sportswashing Machine's half and the furthest player forward. It should be a midfielder rushing to close down and forwards chasing in the opposition half. He left a big gap in the defence that meant Bissouma had to step in to cover and left us short in defence and Barnes unmarked. Bissouma would've been covering the area Barnes was in if he wasn't covering for Romero.

For the second it wasn't about playing offside. His body position was wrong, which didn't allow him to turn quickly and chase back. Instead he walks back like he's out for a Sunday stroll. It seems he can't sense danger. Just look at the other defenders, all are positioned so they can run back if needed.

Edit: See post from Deano showing how bad his body position is http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/threads/omt-tottenham-hotspur-vs-saudi-sportswashing.12009/post-1814155

Last edited:

If 3 are in line and one isn’t… who is right?
Apologies, I do t know where your from but the BBC did a great analysis of his play yesterday and it showed his errors.
Fully agree though with the last paragraph, whatever you do teams will create something, even brick teams.

If 3 are in line and one isn’t… who is right?
Apologies, I do t know where your from but the BBC did a great analysis of his play yesterday and it showed his errors.
Fully agree though with the last paragraph, whatever you do teams will create something, even brick teams.
You're focusing much on Romero. There's no guarantee even if he were facing the correct way that he would have caught Murphy. It was brick defending 100% but it's not the reason the pass was made nor the reason Murphy was able collect the ball.

You're focusing much on Romero. There's no guarantee even if he were facing the correct way that he would have caught Murphy. It was brick defending 100% but it's not the reason the pass was made nor the reason Murphy was able collect the ball.
He wouldnt have, no chance. He may have been better positioned to block the pass, but I don’t think so
I’ve said before it was Maddison who fudged up a king a very weak challenge in Joelinton, when if he stood still he would block the pass. I’ve literally said that further up this page

He wouldnt have, no chance. He may have been better positioned to block the pass, but I don’t think so
I’ve said before it was Maddison who fudged up a king a very weak challenge in Joelinton, when if he stood still he would block the pass. I’ve literally said that further up this page
The thing is for me throughout a game you're gonna have moments like that and I don't believe that a single moment like that should lead to 2 players baring down on our keeper. We are never going win 100% of duels in midfield so the defensive system needs to be better set for those moments.

Right now it feels like we are just relying on VDV pace and that's not the way to build a solid defensive system.

The thing is for me throughout a game you're gonna have moments like that and I don't believe that a single moment like that should lead to 2 players baring down on our keeper. We are never going win 100% of duels in midfield so the defensive system needs to be better set for those moments.

Right now it feels like we are just relying on VDV pace and that's not the way to build a solid defensive system.
They had those opportunities three times IIRC
One lead to the goal
One was a great tackle
The other was a shot over
It happens
You cant attack and not concede opportunities
Did you see city vs west ham
West Ham could have drawn that if it was to if the woodwork and a great save. That’s city .., the best that they are
Teams turn attacks into chances even if they aren’t as a good a side as you

Back