• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

sure, but are we going to do this for everything now? Even in low risk areas?

Offices are meant to have been set up for distancing ?

temp check on way in seems sensible.

People won’t come back to offices

Perhaps it’s a good time to re-evaluate how we work and live. I think that’s what lots are now doing.

I heard one half of a couple in their 30s who live in Reading interviewed on the radio yesterday. He and his partner reckon they will save £12,000 - £15,000 annually by not commuting into work in London by train and spending money when they get there. Their businesses have decided they are happy for them to work from home - so plenty of good reasons for them to do so.

The biggest imperative for a productive home workforce to go back to an office is an economic one - i.e. to support the high-rise office landlords and the service industries in city centres.

It may be that the market needs to readjust - that local high streets start to profit again and some/many service-based businesses have to relocate if they are to survive.

Perhaps it’s a good time to re-evaluate how we work and live. I think that’s what lots are now doing.

I heard one half of a couple in their 30s who live in Reading interviewed on the radio yesterday. He and his partner reckon they will save £12,000 - £15,000 annually by not commuting into work in London by train and spending money when they get there.
Absolutely this - I save loads of money and loads of time by not commuting. I still do my job just as well (if not better as I haven't had to sit in a car for 90 minutes).
My company are recording record profits.
The lease on our office is up, so we are moving to a MUCH smaller office and assuming almost nobody will go back to work in the office for the foreseeable future

Absolutely this - I save loads of money and loads of time by not commuting. I still do my job just as well (if not better as I haven't had to sit in a car for 90 minutes).
My company are recording record profits.
The lease on our office is up, so we are moving to a MUCH smaller office and assuming almost nobody will go back to work in the office for the foreseeable future

I heard one half of a couple in their 30s who live in Reading interviewed on the radio yesterday. He and his partner reckon they will save £12,000 - £15,000 annually by not commuting into work in London by train and spending money when they get there. Their businesses have decided they are happy for them to work from home - so plenty of good reasons for them to do so.

The biggest imperative for a productive home workforce to go back to an office is an economic one - i.e. to support the high-rise office landlords and the service industries in city centres.

It may be that the market needs to readjust - that local high streets start to profit again and some/many service-based businesses have to relocate if they are to survive.

Absolutely, if I didn’t live in the same area as work I would be the same.

The Government I think are slowly realising what the lockdown means and how they have handled it wasn’t the right way.

What I can see happening is a tax/removal of London weighting brought in for those who WFH to try and get people back in to offices, but I still don’t think that will be enough.

the one thing I disagree with is saying people will be supporting the local high street instead, that’s not really going to be the case - why would you go out and buy stuff if at home?

Absolutely, if I didn’t live in the same area as work I would be the same.

The Government I think are slowly realising what the lockdown means and how they have handled it wasn’t the right way.

What I can see happening is a tax/removal of London weighting bought in for those who WFH to try and get people back in to offices, but I still don’t think that will be enough.

the one thing I disagree with is saying people will be supporting the local high street instead, that’s not really going to be the case - why would you go out and buy stuff if at home?

I think there’s been some published evidence of an uptick on local high streets already - people using local shops to buy bits and pieces rather than grabbing them from the overpriced shop in the station before commuting home. Also, people breaking up their day by having a coffee at the local cafe; going to the local pub rather than having a pint or two in the pub across the road from the office...

This backs up that it’s happening.

I think there’s been some published evidence of an uptick on local high streets already - people using local shops to buy bits and pieces rather than grabbing them from the overpriced shop in the station before commuting home. Also, people breaking up their day by having a coffee at the local cafe; going to the local pub rather than having a pint or two in the pub across the road from the office...

This backs up that it’s happening.

I actually heard that Interview (I switch between LBC and Talkradio ) and it’s hard to disagree with - as it is with everything else WFH

I guess my only counter would be as with everything, if you are spending £3 on a coffee a day how long before you just buy a coffee machine at home for £40?

I’m lucky - I have the choice to do both - I go into the office for nights as the temptation to nap at home is to high.

Last edited:
2.5 million of Americans won’t die within 5 years at this current rate.

there’s been 170k (whilst not disregarding them) Since March and it was in the states before.

when’s the cut off?

if the cut off is in 20 years do we say he killed 2.5 million?

brick like this plays into trumps hands

Tend to agree.

I hate Trump but his er Trump card is fake news. To get him the opposition has to hold itself to a higher standard.

I’ve been back in the office this week. Just 30 or so of us in a campus site in Surrey, ahead of a wider return of 1000+ staff.

I would say only about 25% of that pilot came in everyday all day. Some people still only came in once.

So in summary. We have a beautiful comfortable office, country location, lots of enrichment, art everywhere, deli’s and kitchenettes, and we are waited in hand and foot. But still people much prefer being at home.

Good luck with getting people to commute into London with all attendant miseries Boris.

I’ve been back in the office this week. Just 30 or so of us in a campus site in Surrey, ahead of a wider return of 1000+ staff.

I would say only about 25% of that pilot came in everyday all day. Some people still only came in once.

So in summary. We have a beautiful comfortable office, country location, lots of enrichment, art everywhere, deli’s and kitchenettes, and we are waited in hand and foot. But still people much prefer being at home.

Good luck with getting people to commute into London with all attendant miseries Boris.

To be encouraging people to do it at the same time as schools return is the kind of muddled thinking that has been the hallmark of this government since January.

Once our kids are settled in at their new schools me and the mrs will go back to the office but not full time

i might at most do 1 day a week in London with 3 at our local office where I live and 1 at home, saves us money and time together as a family too

To be encouraging people to do it at the same time as schools return is the kind of muddled thinking that has been the hallmark of this government since January.
You know the only reason school return matters is so that people can get back to work, right?

So of course they'll happen at the same time

The Tories need to think about putting Sunak in ASAP. He’s shown himself to be an asset, making clear and conscientious, thoughtful and well informed decisions. Boris’s work is done.

You know the only reason school return matters is so that people can get back to work, right?

So of course they'll happen at the same time

There is the matter of getting the kids educated too Scara. And having them experience richer social exposure.

The Tories need to think about putting Sunak in ASAP. He’s shown himself to be an asset, making clear and conscientious, thoughtful and well informed decisions. Boris’s work is done.

let’s see how much people think of him when Furlough stops and unemployment goes through he roof.

he should have course become more popular by ending this ridiculous situation we are in

I like Sunak but deciding to turn on the money printing machine and throw handouts around to all and sundry is hardly a difficult decision and hardly gonna be unpopular. There's little analysis or legwork involved and at this moment they're not really concerned with the paying back part.

Boris's work is not done until 1 January 2021. He'll be more dispensable to the Tory party after that and can step back on covid-related health grounds.

Re schools, I see guidance about how to deal with pupils if one tests positive has just been issued now, days before the start of term.
When you are saying that getting kids back to school is the number one priority, it seems kind of obvious that one of the first things you would have clear guidance on early in the process is how to deal with this scenario.

Back