• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

Just heard an interview with a care home manager.

He said he’s irate with the media at the moment (FT mainly) giving all the care home deaths with out any context - makes it sounds like it’s out of control when realistically its less than 1 percent of the care home community and more than half of them had terminal illness/didn’t have long left/normal flu would have more than likely killed them.

Things like this need to be reported rather than the current scaremongering.
But then how will the press trap the government in something that seems like a miniscule and irrelevant error?

Just heard an interview with a care home manager.

He said he’s irate with the media at the moment (FT mainly) giving all the care home deaths with out any context - makes it sounds like it’s out of control when realistically its less than 1 percent of the care home community and more than half of them had terminal illness/didn’t have long left/normal flu would have more than likely killed them.

Things like this need to be reported rather than the current scaremongering.

I wonder why he’s seen as right and the many many other care home owners and workers who have been speaking out in the media are wrong? (Let me guess - it’s media bias?)

He may be one who is bricking it as he can see his future business going down the pan. I would think most will think twice before seeing their loved ones in a care home after this.

Reactions: DTA
I wonder why he’s seen as right and the many many other care home owners and workers who have been speaking out in the media are wrong? (Let me guess - it’s media bias?)

He may be one who is bricking it as he can see his future business going down the pan. I would think most will think twice before seeing their loved ones in a care home after this.
I think you're forgetting the entire point of care homes.

If somebody's in one, they're virtually dead anyway.

I don’t see care home business in danger, in a virus that kills off the older generation, pretty brutally, they are by nature of numbers at huge danger.

The reason people are in home I’m generally because their relativises won’t have them in their lives FT, the majority are expensive and private bar the small percentage of charity funded.

Rich selfish people won’t stop using carehomes to park their “loved” ones

I don’t see care home business in danger, in a virus that kills off the older generation, pretty brutally, they are by nature of numbers at huge danger.

The reason people are in home I’m generally because their relativises won’t have them in their lives FT, the majority are expensive and private bar the small percentage of charity funded.

Rich selfish people won’t stop using carehomes to park their “loved” ones
You try looking after a 94 year old with Alzheimer’s, while having a full time job, 2 kids, and a father with cancer!

You try looking after a 94 year old with Alzheimer’s, while having a full time job, 2 kids, and a father with cancer!

It was not meant to be a sweeping statement, I wrote it on the hoof

Of course not all are selfish like you (I imagine you are ref to yourself). There is also a necessity to have them in a home.

Remains that they are far from going out of business.

The way flu deaths are worked out nationally is to look at normal, average figures of people passing away, and the difference gives us the flu fatalities.

We and most nations have been calculating the effects of flu in this way for a long time.

The FT and others are simply applying this way of counting. The only other variable which influences things is people not going to A&E or seeking care for other conditions, but can that account for a huge amount of deaths?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

When I was a kid you used to be able to get the ferry as a passenger for £1, used to quite enjoy the ferry now I hate them.
I remember the 'booze cruises' :)

If I lived in Kent I'd use the euro tunnel all the time but down our end of the channel it's too far back up to Folkstone and as @SpurMeUp says that end off France is a pretty boring drive.

What can be alright is to get the late ferry to StMalo, night's sleep and off in France early in the morning. I'm sure you'd like the disco:)
Plus with Brittany ferries, being a French operation, the onboard food is decent.

The way flu deaths are worked out nationally is to look at normal, average figures of people passing away, and the difference gives us the flu fatalities.

We and most nations have been calculating the effects of flu in this way for a long time.

The FT and others are simply applying this way of counting. The only other variable which influences things is people not going to A&E or seeking care for other conditions, but can that account for a huge amount of deaths?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I don't want to see any figures massaged, just one of them charts where it shows total deaths and you can click a tab and you can explore the variations of the numbers. Deaths of the 0-50s with no underlying conditions. Number of Deaths of those aged 30-40. Those that died in A&E, those reported outside A&E. I personally would be really interested to see all the different outcomes

Disagree very strongly with that.

Ok can't, but the point remains the same to the worry about business. Can't or won't (I have a good friend in the won't bracket so their are some) care homes are not going out of business anytime soon.

An associate of mine has had verbally permission to build another locally to where I am in the last weeks.

He’s not had a single case of coronavirus at his places.

I can’t recall his name annoyingly.

I’m all for investigations after this is all over, but it’s not helpful misrepresenting the death numbers.

I was thinking about this yesterday and recalling many years ago when I worked in the head office of a company that operated nursing homes around the UK. Every Monday morning I had to phone each one to get their day-by-day occupancy stats for the previous week. It would be rare that there wasn't at least one death, often more, in each home every week. That was across about 15 smallish-occupancy homes iirc, so a totally negligible sample size but it made me wonder whether the new figures are now over-counting by assuming or implying that these deaths are all from coronavirus.

In any case, I had thought that for the last month give or take, each Tuesday there has been a separate (ONS?) figure which gave the number of those who have died in nursing/residential homes or in their own home, who had covid-19 mentioned on their death certificate as a possible or linked cause. This generally covered a longer period than the previous week due to the time lag reporting in-community deaths. So what is different about the new daily figure that is being reported now? Or is it just that the system of reporting has changed and the figures are available sooner?

I heard an interview a week or so ago with a resident of a home who was saying that many of the residents where she was were suffering from early stage dementia and were getting very distressed because they didn't fully understand what was going on and thought their families had deserted them, which is incredibly sad. I am all for journalists holding the government of the day to account and not stepping back from hard stories just because we are in unprecedented times, but there has to be responsibility in the process and not just scaremongering as you say. It is a worrying enough time for all those who have loved ones in care homes, as well as for the residents themselves seeing and hearing all these reports.

I Agree with this 100 percent

The second part is enhanced because people can’t visit the homes and see what’s going on themselves either

Reporting like this will end up with people breaking the lock down to see older people in homes and putting people at risk.

For me, unless it’s a direct cause of death it shouldn’t be on the death certificate

A1d
He’s not had a single case of coronavirus at his places.

I can’t recall his name annoyingly.

I’m all for investigations after this is all over, but it’s not helpful misrepresenting the death numbers.
The average life expectancy in a care home is around 2 years. Be interesting to see a representation of how much life has actually been lost.

I remember the 'booze cruises' :)

If I lived in Kent I'd use the euro tunnel all the time but down our end of the channel it's too far back up to Folkstone and as @SpurMeUp says that end off France is a pretty boring drive.

What can be alright is to get the late ferry to StMalo, night's sleep and off in France early in the morning. I'm sure you'd like the disco:)
Plus with Brittany ferries, being a French operation, the onboard food is decent.

I look forward to these days again. Last time got up at 4am, blast down to Portsmouth and have a croissant and coffee on the ferry. In the summer lots of cool cars on this route too. Old Ferraris, TVRs, Bikers etc. Went on the Eurotunnel last summer for a long weekend. Very quick to get to from N/E London to the train. Somehow you even have mobile signal under the sea.

Might still be a good time to buy a place in the next year. Could see the bottom drop out of the market?

Back