• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Benteke

Got to go for him and early. But methinks he's arsenal or Chelsea bound. We won't pay £25m or him, we won't pay that for Damiao but I guess he's not prem proven. Would absolutely love Benteke at the lane

But at the end of the day, what does it matter to you whether he costs £15m or £20m?

Matters a lot to me because I am a Spurs fan and I've seen the demise of some big clubs who over reached. Don't get me wrong, I think Levy's cautious and always get the best deal approach has held us back the last few seasons, but there is also a reason as to why Spurs's financial situation is a lot more healthy than a lot of the teams around us. We will have a finite budget this window. We have already spent £17m apparently, and we need a couple of players to make the switch to 4-3-3.

Maybe he is, or maybe he's not. Would you rather we took the risk or sat twiddling our thumbs and started next season with Defoe and Ade again? I hope we go for it, I can't see an abundance of striking talent out there just waiting to be signed. If he flops, oh well, we lose money, it's not my money and we won't fold over it.

I would rather we took the risk, on a young player from a different league., We should be looking for our own 'benteke' rather then buying last years at a massively inflated price.

They are impressive stats, but I've seen average players have blinding seasons before (not saying he is average), or maybe have good stats rather than actual blinding seasons.. Grant Holt scored 15 Premiership goals for Norwich a couple of seasons ago, Rickie Lambert scored 15 this time around.

Perhaps the biggest example of all is our very own Clive Allen. Top bloke, but never a top striker and the season he scored 49 goals will go down in our folklore but if he had scored even a third of the routine chances he missed that year he would have probably had twice that figure. Despite scoring 49 goals he wasn't in the top five Spurs players that season, let alone the top 5 of the league.

Maybe Benteke is the real deal, but I am not convinced yet and I am not sure in our current position we can afford to spend big to speculate.

Player - Mins per goal - Conversion - Mins per chance created
Benteke 149 25% 55
Robin van Persie 114 23% 46
Giroud 210 13% 68
Lukaku 123 21% 62
Defoe 208 14% 79

I would rather we took the risk. On a young player from a different league., We should be looking for our own 'benteke' rather then buying last years at a massively inflated price.

I think it all depends on valuations. It drives me nuts when we appear to miss out on critical deals for the sake of a couple of million (usually in January, but the most recent example for me was signing Parker. We should have had him in weeks before, and if we had had then I think there is a very real chance we would have got a point at home against City instead of a drubbing. That would have seen us clinch 3rd) but when you start talking £2m+ then I think Levy takes the right approach.

My biggest thing with Benteke is that he is treating Villa appallingly and if we did sign him, had a good season and we failed to qualify for the Champion's League then he'd likely do the same to us.

They will be asking for too much for Levy to do anything but wait until the last minute to drive the price down which will inevitably mean someone else will come in for him first.

imo.

I think it all depends on valuations. It drives me nuts when we appear to miss out on critical deals for the sake of a couple of million (usually in January, but the most recent example for me was signing Parker. We should have had him in weeks before, and if we had had then I think there is a very real chance we would have got a point at home against City instead of a drubbing. That would have seen us clinch 3rd) but when you start talking £2m+ then I think Levy takes the right approach.

My biggest thing with Benteke is that he is treating Villa appallingly and if we did sign him, had a good season and we failed to qualify for the Champion's League then he'd likely do the same to us.

It doesn't drive me nuts. Just like life sometimes you don't take the risk and you will miss out on a deal.

However Benteke now in my view is not a deal. He is an extremely expensive option based on one year in the PL. Agreed that he is treating Villa very badly, i don't see why he wouldn't use and discard us in the same manner.

The only way I can see us stretching to the £25-30m for Benteke is if Villa are mysteriously interested in quite a few of Defoe, Huddlestone, Naughton and Livermore.

Yeah, it's funny. People complain about Leandro's ambivalence to joining us because he's always talking about his focus on his future at Inter.

I could see them being interested in Defoe and Hudd and I think they'd do well there.

I don't know. Both are a bit too old for Lambert's project there. Defoe is also a bit too similar to Agbonlahor.

Naughton played for Lambert at Norwich though IIRC.

Christian Benteke was involved in 49% of Aston Villa's goals last season either scoring or assisting......The guy is a fookin monster if we call Sandro a beast then what would we call Benteke?????

IMO we offer 18m to test the water - perhaps we set ourself a limit of 22.5 and don't go beyond that.........Do I think he has treated Villa/genk badly?......yes I do. Do I think he is worth breaking our transfer record for??absolutely!!!!!!!!!

Yes I would like us to sign the next benteke but who the fudge is that???????? We are seriously desperate for firepower and this lad ticks all the boxes.....big time......The scary thing is his age - he will be unstoppable with a few more years experience......

I would hazard a guess that if we splashed the cash on him then even after 1 season with us and he does what he is doing to villa we would make money on him.....

Come on people....Bale & Benteke...........imagine the possibilities......to dare is to do...........Ive said it before if we have any chance of signing him we need to take it!!!!

I would rather we took the risk, on a young player from a different league., We should be looking for our own 'benteke' rather then buying last years at a massively inflated price.

I would prefer that too, but if he's good enough to warrant the price Villa wants then buying a proven player is better than buying an unproven one.

Part of being a bigger club (for now at least).

He probably would, but so would most players we sign unless we get them very young and spend considerable time developing them. If that happens and we end up doubling or tripling our money after getting a couple of brilliant seasons out of him that's not a bad outcome at all and nothing to worry about.

The only way I can see us stretching to the £25-30m for Benteke is if Villa are mysteriously interested in quite a few of Defoe, Huddlestone, Naughton and Livermore.

It doesn't matter if Villa want Huddlestone and drop their asking price by £6m or if we sell Hudd to Sunderland for £6m and use that money to up our bid for Benteke. Part swap deals very rarely happen.

£25m for Benteke ? :ross:

Surely the most overrated striker in the Prem right now.

Last edited:
£25m for Benteke ? :ross:

35m for carrol??????? now 17M!!!!!!!!

I think 25m is pushing it........ all depends on how good you think he is/could be!!!!?

in a few years time people may laugh at that price for benteke in the sense he could be a worldie......all down to opinion.

Ive seen enough of him to make my own judgement which is of course open to ridicule..........would I pay 25m for him..........yes I would because I think he will keep getting better.

lol we have this powerful physical midfield and people are doubting benteke 6 ft 4 with pace and strength in abundance ....technique a little rough around the edges but can be worked on....... if we want to go 4-3-3 and physicaly steamroll teams I cant think of many better strikers in the central cf position who we have a chance to sign that fits the bill better than Benteke.

There we go...I think this has real legs myself (Benteke to us in some shape or form) it's been a bubbler for a while and frankly, he suits what we need IMO...

Surely if AVB is trying to set us up similar to mourinho's Chelsea, 3 powerhouses in midfield then this guy is as close to a Drogba as I have seen. Drogba prior to Chelsea was never a massive goal scorer, he just bullied defenders and let the players around him do the bizz. This guy could do something similar for us, oh and that Chelsea never had a "playmaker" either and with the exception of Lennons position, we are damn close.

35m for carrol??????? now 17M!!!!!!!!

I think 25m is pushing it........ all depends on how good you think he is/could be!!!!?

in a few years time people may laugh at that price for benteke in the sense he could be a worldie......all down to opinion.

Ive seen enough of him to make my own judgement which is of course open to ridicule..........would I pay 25m for him..........yes I would because I think he will keep getting better.

lol we have this powerful physical midfield and people are doubting benteke 6 ft 4 with pace and strength in abundance ....technique a little rough around the edges but can be worked on....... if we want to go 4-3-3 and physicaly steamroll teams I cant think of many better strikers in the central cf position who we have a chance to sign that fits the bill better than Benteke.

he's okay. Like i've said before, who else was going to do it at Aston Villa?.. was Andy Johnson worth £25m when he scored all those goals for a struggling Crystal Palace team? or James Beattie for that struggling Southampton side?

The guys a knob anyway. Went on strike at Gent so he could move to Villa, now he's handing in a transfer request at Villa after one year. No respect to the teams that have made him somewhat relevant in the footballing world. He'd do the exact same to us.

Back