• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Carlyle takeover, was Cain Hoy takeover

Re: Cain Hoy takeover

Glazers did it because they own a global phenomenon in Manchester Utd and were thus able to generate sufficient interest on the Singapore Stock Exchange.

Spurs is not Man Utd.
And that was after several unsuccessful attempts to float elsewhere

I'll disagree, I think the money is only going to get bigger and people will want to be part of a 500m pie that could double to a billion. Not all companies give dividends either and many shares are bought of the back of the company getting bigger and not about profits.. i.e investing the profits into the company. When was the last UTD dividend?

If there was a thirst for football club shares on the Stock Exchange, you would see more clubs floating. But you're actually seeing the opposite. Clubs delisting.

As to Man Utd, having looked it up now, it seems that they didn't go through with plans to float on the Singapore SE. They listed on the New York Stock Exchange instead, in August 2012. Prior to that, they hadn't been a public company for seven years. And since the Glazers (100% owners) were already effectively taking £60m per annum out of the club, they would presumably have had no need to pay themselves a dividend as well.

P.S. Man Utd's NYSE offering was apparently ignored by most proper investors on the basis that they would get little return and insignificant voting rights. If it hadn't been for their huge numbers of fans, it would have been a big flop.

And that was after several unsuccessful attempts to float elsewhere

Absolutely.

I was wrong about Singapore (silly me for not following Man Utd closely enough!). They tried and failed to float there. Tried and failed to float in Hong Kong.

what was the intended point of united going on the NYSE, did they think it make money or are there fringe benefits to the glazers?

But it made over 100m in profit last year. How much did Tottenham lose?

Will it continue to make those kind of profits long enough for that investment to pay off?

A football club is a steady stream of cash coming in as long as you don't **** around too much with it.

I agree with almost everyone here, better the Devil you know.

It would be really odd for Levy to walk away now, after years of struggling along bit by bit, living within his means to grow Spurs, make a training ground, on the brink of starting the stadium... to walk away now after all this time is like rebuilding your dream car from a rusty heap and you sort out the bodywork, tranny, engine, it goes into the body shop and you walk away from it? Nah, that won't happen.

I guess if Levy stays and Lewis is swapped for Cain Hoy that doesn't affect things much.

I.e. I feel sure Cain Hoy cannot and would not surge Spurs into the top 4 through a cash injection of 1 or 2 billion pounds like Cheatski/City needed.

And as for those actively wishing for a billion pound injection, that would render the last 20 years of struggle pointless. We could have sold out 20 years ago but we didn't. I don't want to throw away 20 years of building at this point and just become another Arab project

We all signed up to it 20 years ago and have struggled along manfully inch by inch clawing our way towards the top, if we were to

While it's quite right that we shouldn't get overexcited about Cain Hoy, it's equally true to say that we shouldn't be too negative about them either. We simply don't know enough about them yet.

We can't assume that they won't invest in the club any more than we can assume that they will. Of course it's highly unlikely that they would embark on Abramovich or Mansour level spending sprees, even if FFP didn't exist. But fund the stadium in its entirety? Who knows? Not completely out of the question, if they have the financial muscle. It could make perfect financial sense for them.

what was the intended point of united going on the NYSE, did they think it make money or are there fringe benefits to the glazers?

More than fringe benefits!

They raised £150m.

£75m went straight into the Glazers' pockets. The remaining £75m went towards reducing the huge amount of debt that the Glazers piled on Man Utd.

Will it continue to make those kind of profits long enough for that investment to pay off?

A football club is a steady stream of cash coming in as long as you don't **** around too much with it.

It may a steady revenue stream, but historically has been a **** investment, cost of doing business is too high

Very few clubs (globally) over the last 10 years could say they make 50M+ in profit per year, which at the cost of entry and the risk (someone has to lose) makes them a poor investment.

The reason you are seeing US based companies now interested is based in the future potential income of tv rights, football clubs ticket and merchandise sales have gone by small % points each year, tv rights is the thing that will potentially lead to 2X/3X/4X revenue increases over time.

It may a steady revenue stream, but historically has been a **** investment, cost of doing business is too high

Very few clubs (globally) over the last 10 years could say they make 50M+ in profit per year, which at the cost of entry and the risk (someone has to lose) makes them a poor investment.

The reason you are seeing US based companies now interested is based in the future potential income of tv rights, football clubs ticket and merchandise sales have gone by small % points each year, tv rights is the thing that will potentially lead to 2X/3X/4X revenue increases over time.

Historically, football club buyers have been idiots, or just old fashioned romantics, which is pretty much the same. Throw some money at it, get success, be a hero. Completely ignoring the dozens of others trying to do the exact same thing. It's become a 'get rich quick' scheme sadly. From small time crooks and money launderers in the lower leagues to equally immoral and corrupt people getting filthy rich by doing very little at the top clubs.

I do think tv rights the way it works today is a bubble that could burst soon. The tv market is completely saturated with channels and content, but overall viewership is dropping.

Very few have any interest beyond either watching the big games/teams or following their team. Too many also rans with no apparent aim or ambition, too many games that are just a bit ****. The current model won't last. How long depends on just how profitable the rights are for Sky ATM. I can't see them growing their customer base much more and further increases in price could force more people into cancelling their subscription. Those based in other continents and funny timezones would certainly welcome a decent streaming service.

My guess is that the numbers from those countries that have legit streaming services are being closely looked at to see how much is potentially there. Releasing the internet flood gates will eat into what they're currently getting from subscription tv channels, but overall it could mean more money. The only way I see income increasing substantially now is if internet streaming becomes ridiculously lucrative.

Historically, football club buyers have been idiots, or just old fashioned romantics, which is pretty much the same. Throw some money at it, get success, be a hero. Completely ignoring the dozens of others trying to do the exact same thing. It's become a 'get rich quick' scheme sadly. From small time crooks and money launderers in the lower leagues to equally immoral and corrupt people getting filthy rich by doing very little at the top clubs.

I do think tv rights the way it works today is a bubble that could burst soon. The tv market is completely saturated with channels and content, but overall viewership is dropping.

Very few have any interest beyond either watching the big games/teams or following their team. Too many also rans with no apparent aim or ambition, too many games that are just a bit ****. The current model won't last. How long depends on just how profitable the rights are for Sky ATM. I can't see them growing their customer base much more and further increases in price could force more people into cancelling their subscription. Those based in other continents and funny timezones would certainly welcome a decent streaming service.

My guess is that the numbers from those countries that have legit streaming services are being closely looked at to see how much is potentially there. Releasing the internet flood gates will eat into what they're currently getting from subscription tv channels, but overall it could mean more money. The only way I see income increasing substantially now is if internet streaming becomes ridiculously lucrative.

International tv rights, hasn't evn been close to being tapped.

Look at American sports to understand what the potential for tv rights really is.

Yep same with mobile phone operators, though this coffee shop thing has me stumped still keeps growing.

International tv rights, hasn't evn been close to being tapped.

Look at American sports to understand what the potential for tv rights really is.

Besides the US I don't see that much room for growth. The Asian market isn't nearly as lucrative as the number of "fans" might suggest, Africa the same. The big European nations have their own leagues and South Americans probably look more towards Spain and Portugal. It's the 3 English speaking nations, Australia, Canada and USA that have most to give financially, but the time difference means less viewers.

In Norway they coughed up around £100 million for 3 seasons I think. They only got that much because it was a different channel than previously that wanted in. They were trying to become Sky, but have since lost most of the Norwegian league packages. They were at least smart enough to offer a pure PL package to their viewers, you didn't have to pay extra for channels you didn't need (don't know if that's still the case) and they have a very good streaming service, but do they make enough to pay significantly more next time? I don't think so.

GTA 5 has made over 2 billion since it has come out last year.
With the proper resources behind a new version (the game is still a buggy unfinished mess as far as I'm concerned) they can bring in that kind of money. Mindcraft is so popular it is the current younger generation's version of Pokemon.
The current game only cost £15 on the PC ffs. The company's aim up to now was never to milk cash from it.

GTA 5 has made over 2 billion since it has come out last year.
With the proper resources behind a new version (the game is still a buggy unfinished mess as far as I'm concerned) they can bring in that kind of money. Mindcraft is so popular it is the current younger generation's version of Pokemon.
The current game only cost £15 on the PC ffs. The company's aim up to now was never to milk cash from it.

Don't want to turn a Tottenham takeover thread into a gaming thread but from what I've seen minecraft is a pile of **** where you are handed a pile of **** and challenged to polish it. I just hope Cain Hoy view us much the same and polish us a lot whilst adding some trophy's to polish as well.

But the success of the investment lies in capital growth not revenue income. Would enic, mike Ashley, or the FSG (Liverpool) or the liebharr ? (Southampton) family make a substantial profit if hey sold their clubs this year? Quite probably would be my guess.

But the success of the investment lies in capital growth not revenue income. Would enic, mike Ashley, or the FSG (Liverpool) or the liebharr ? (Southampton) family make a substantial profit if hey sold their clubs this year? Quite probably would be my guess.

ENIC - yes
FSG - Yes
Liebherr - possible
Mike cashley - Not a fookin' hope in Hell, the amount he has pumped in to that club behind the scenes he'll never see.

ENIC - yes
FSG - Yes
Liebherr - possible
Mike cashley - Not a fookin' hope in Hell, the amount he has pumped in to that club behind the scenes he'll never see.

I dunno.

Certainly, he'd be unlikely to make a profit if he sold now. As you say, he inherited a lot of debt and has had to pump a lot of money into the club - something which Saudi Sportswashing Machine fans never seem to have given him credit for, as far as I can tell. But then, he got the club on the cheap because of the debts.

Saudi Sportswashing Machine is potentially a very big club - as it was in the Keegan and Bobby Robson days. It's a one club city with a big catchment area, full of passionate fans. When successful, Saudi Sportswashing Machine could easily attract 60K to every home game. Even when not successful, they attract 50K to every game.

So it's not a huge leap to imagine that they could get themselves back up to our level. Certainly, they aren't currently punching their weight financially - which means that there is plenty of potential for growth.

Ashley's total investment in Saudi Sportswashing Machine is a little under £300m, I believe. If they were ever to become moderately successful again, it's quite possible that he could eventually make a decent profit.

Back