• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

Methinks he will prove you wrong this season

I was being sarcastic, i love the lad and think he should start when fit for us, unlike bale he is two footed. Think the lad has shown so much promise and i truly believe if he was a foreign lad or even and english lad at another club people would be raving about him.

Seems to me we have a lot of self haters on here who think we can never bring throug a talented lad through the academy. Some keep telling me couliably is your birghtest strike prospect despite him not doing anything at club level anywhere. Im not saying he wont make it but i find it odd how people seem so quick to slam the chances of someone like townsend making it.

Everytime he plays well or scores this season i will say "he is brick wont make it with spurs" im expecting to do this a few times.

Sarcasm can sometimes be misunderstood online so my bad. Like you I have high hopes for Andros this season.

It seems that Cameron Jerome has committed the same betting 'offences' that saw our Andros receive a 4 month ban from playing in all football events. Cameron has admitted the offence, as did Andros, and it will be interesting to see if the FA remain consistant in the punishment. Andros had one month total exclusion from football with three months suspended. It just so happened his was at the end of last season and he really only missed a couple of games. If consistant,regardless that it is the start of the season, the Fa should ban Cameron for one month but will they?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...iation-admitting-number-betting-offences.html

So pleased that this kid's stock is starting to rise.

I thought higher of him than Caulker and Carroll tbh. He just has that tenacity and belief in his ability.

completely agree. he has this confidence about his is ability that is great to see. i would have no problem starting townsend against palace

completely agree. he has this confidence about his is ability that is great to see. i would have no problem starting townsend against palace

me neither......in fact I think this will happen...... Chadli may need some time to adjust-build a rapport with the squad....Townsend is good to go and looks hungry to succeed/better form than Lennon who is distracted by his beard.

I'd say Townsend won't mind all that much if Bale leaves.

Won't necessarily mean more playing time for Townsend. If we sell Bale we're almost guaranteed to bring in at least one first choice player in a position Townsend can play in, but we might easily end up bringing in two as we spread the Bale money across a couple of players.

Won't necessarily mean more playing time for Townsend. If we sell Bale we're almost guaranteed to bring in at least one first choice player in a position Townsend can play in, but we might easily end up bringing in two as we spread the Bale money across a couple of players.

My money is on Townsend to cement himself this season

Why does everyone think that successive managers have not deemed him worthy of more starts, or even a regular place? I'm interested to discuss this...

You'd lose that money. He isn't young anymore and just because he is direct doesn't mean he is good enough. In my opinion Townsend is of a similar ability to Routledge and Etherington, which is a good professional standard that is capable of playing Premiership football but just as likely to spend parts of his career in the Championship.

I doubt it if you're talking about becoming a regular starter in league games. If we keep Bale he's up against Bale, Chadli, Lennon and Sig at least for 2, possibly 3 positions in the team.

If you're talking about cementing himself as a good squad player for us that we can trust to do a job when starting and can have a real impact from the bench then yeah.

Why does everyone think that successive managers have not deemed him worthy of more starts, or even a regular place? I'm interested to discuss this...

He just turned 22, so he's been young for starters. He's been up against some fairly good competition too.

One of those managers you mention had no hesitations bringing him in on loan and giving him regular starts straight away when in a position where his new club desperately needed points. Playing him ahead of some fairly established PL players that QPR had spent considerable resources bringing in. This to me indicates that Redknapp at least rated him as a good PL player, even though he wasn't a starter for us.

AVB didn't consider him better than Lennon, Sig, Dempsey (nevermind Bale). I think that's fair enough. Just like Redknapp didn't rate Walker as better than Corluka before he was sent out on loan.

I think he showed enough last season at QPR to at least be part of our squad this season. It's impossible to know for sure if he will have what it takes to step it up to the next level with us, but for me at least he's at least proven himself worthy of a chance with our squad. And I'm looking forward to see what he can do for us as I thought he had something a bit special about him at QPR. Obviously it's a big step up, we've seen clubs, including ourselves, pay a ton of money on players that have only impressed at smaller PL clubs only for them to flop at a bigger club. I for one won't be saying that he will definitely make it as a starter for us, but like I said I think he's deserves a shot.

lennon , bale, VDV......and the wonky

plus sometimes its all about going with what you know works

for whatever reason they didnt start him outside of the ones mentioned above , he still managed to do a damn fine job at qpr and set a premiership record too

edit:-it does actually make you wonder though, what are the intricate reasons for so coaches not playing or buying certain people. why do certain players fail in one place and succeed somewhere else

Last edited:
As Spurs' manager Arry rarely gave Townsend a chance despite promising performances whenever the lad appeared. As far back a s January 2011 Townsend produced a quite dazzling performance against Charlton in the FA Cup third round when he scored and was awarded Man of the Match ahead of the likes of Sandro and Modric, both of whom also impressed. Yet when Redknapp became QPR manager, suddenly the lad was good enough to secure a regular first team place.

No one can doubt the lad has talent, he has speed, can dribble and shoot, but there is also touch of the Bentleys about him in that he doesn't always know when to release the ball. If he can overcome that weakness he could yet have a big future.

A good player impresses from his first games. Bale did (before his injury) and Townsend did as well.

I have great hopes for the lad

Not only that, but Lennon is more likely to be holding Walker's hand than looking for a quick release into space from CM these days. I think Lennon's value to the team is being underestimated again. Have Walker act like a more responsible and sensible defender and you automatically see a more aggressive forward playing Lennon imo

So you and Chikenbadge have completely different views on Lennon. CB thinks he spends most of his time on the left (which I disagree with) and you say he was on the right but spent most of his time helping Walker out. What he WASNT though was an effective attacking player. Townsend deserves his chance in this role.

Harry thought enough of him to take him to QPR. Apparently, Townsend has said himself that AVB has told him that he is very much in his plans. He is only 21. Had a great last six months at QPR (we could have done with some of his goals!), he has scored two great goals in pre season and looked up for it (in distinct contrast to Lennon, who has doe nothing at all in pre-season). He deserves a chance.

Harry thought enough of him to take him to QPR. Apparently, Townsend has said himself that AVB has told him that he is very much in his plans. He is only 21. Had a great last six months at QPR (we could have done with some of his goals!), he has scored two great goals in pre season and looked up for it (in distinct contrast to Lennon, who has doe nothing at all in pre-season). He deserves a chance.
Yep. The general consensus on the QPR forums last season was he was their best player, followed by Remy. This kid is ready now, so let him loose against Espanyol I say. Lennon always did a bit better with some competition anyway.

By successive managers you mean 2 managers AVB and Harry, correct? Maybe it was thought in comparison to his competition he was not ready, I think he is now

You'd lose that money. He isn't young anymore and just because he is direct doesn't mean he is good enough. In my opinion Townsend is of a similar ability to Routledge and Etherington, which is a good professional standard that is capable of playing Premiership football but just as likely to spend parts of his career in the Championship.

Let me clarify, I think he will establish himself as an integral part of our first team squad this season. I also expect him to have long career in the Premiership

Regardless I reckon he will get more than enough chances for us this season.......I reckon he will take that chance...

an exciting player to watch who may be about to peak as suggested by recent form and end of last season......

People seem to forget that Rose & Townsend were both voted player of the season by their respective loan clubs.....both of them coming back and competing in our squad can only be viewed as a major positive imo.

Back