• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

Re: Nacer Chadli ***Official***

I like Townsend, too. I love watching him play for other teams. But when he plays for us he frustrates me.

I do not think he has had a lot of opportunities in a strong first Spurs first team. I personally have seen enough from him last season to think he at least warrants a place in our first team squad and at the very least should be given a lot of minutes in the 3 cups this season and a chance to prove himself.

How ironic that you mention Kaboul because I remember when Kaboul was deemed not good enough for Spurs and he was sold to Portsmouth and now everyone belives he is an automatic starter when fit. It is amazing how myopic Tottenham cans can be when it comes to writing off young players

=D>

lol at that last one.

As for Townsend, would be stupid to sell him.

There's a lot more to a player than whether he's exciting to watch in cameos and playing for crap sides though mate. Does he have the mentality? Can he make the right decision most of the time? Is he prepared to fight for his place patiently? I think he'll be off mate...and frankly, as I look at the squad right now, we'd be absolutely fine.

Don't be a tease. Do you know something the rest of us don't?

I think it would be foolish to get rid of Townsend as he is still developing as a player. Next season he will be back up as a winger, and can see how he does when he plays. We are in 4 competitions and will need a squad size to reflect that

I'll answer that tactically mate ;-)

I think when we look at the phrase 'back-up winger' that, in itself, disqualifies someone fro a place in a 25 man squad looking to win things. We need players who can perform roles across the board. Chadli can play at least two positions, most of our attacking players can. Even Defoe can drop outside if need be. I think he would have to show considerably more myself.

I suspect Steff might be hinting at John Bostock syndrome (off-field/attitude issues), rather than footballing ability per se.

I've always liked Towsend as a player and like the idea of him and Falque as our 5th and 6th choice wide players for this coming season.

Yes mate...but we shall see. I think the two go hand in hand to a large extent, as someone with talent and the right attitude is coachable to the next level.
I always think Bale falls firmly into this category. He could easily have become a nothing player. He had raw tools and skill but the critical thing for him was his absolutely FANTASTIC attitude. Seriously, what a great lad. Even after the press tried to blow him up as a star post Milan, those feet stayed firmly on the ground and he allowed coaches to work with him, which we saw to a massive extent with AVB. He is now one of the best players in football, and for me, it's as much because of his superb attitude in allowing those raw tools to be refined (I know I'm likely preaching to the choir here mate BTW ;))

Personally, as a player, I have always liked THE IDEA of him but never the final product, which has inevitably left me flat.

Yes mate...but we shall see. I think the two go hand in hand to a large extent, as someone with talent and the right attitude is coachable to the next level.
I always think Bale falls firmly into this category. He could easily have become a nothing player. He had raw tools and skill but the critical thing for him was his absolutely FANTASTIC attitude. Seriously, what a great lad. Even after the press tried to blow him up as a star post Milan, those feet stayed firmly on the ground and he allowed coaches to work with him, which we saw to a massive extent with AVB. He is now one of the best players in football, and for me, it's as much because of his superb attitude in allowing those raw tools to be refined (I know I'm likely preaching to the choir here mate BTW ;))

Personally, as a player, I have always liked THE IDEA of him but never the final product, which has inevitably left me flat.

I very much enjoyed reading this.

There's a lot more to a player than whether he's exciting to watch in cameos and playing for crap sides though mate. Does he have the mentality? Can he make the right decision most of the time? Is he prepared to fight for his place patiently? I think he'll be off mate...and frankly, as I look at the squad right now, we'd be absolutely fine.

You have no idea about his mentality or whether he's prepared to fight for his place, all the evidence suggests he is going to be at the very least a good level PL player and you are writing him off based on questions you can't even answer. Quite strange...

Why is Townsend a bad egg? Because of the betting thing? Thought he seemed quite level-headed, and has said before that he is driven by his brother's death. He also seems pretty humble, saying that he's "no Gareth Bale".

You have no idea about his mentality or whether he's prepared to fight for his place, all the evidence suggests he is going to be at the very least a good level PL player and you are writing him off based on questions you can't even answer. Quite strange...

To an extent you're absolutely right and I wouldn't argue. But it's an opinion I have based on several things. We shall see. As I always say about this sort of thing, I would love to be wrong mate.

EDIT: To add, I think it was very interesting that AVB & co chose to ship him out on loan in January when everyone (including me!) thought he'd have been a good possibility off the bench. I tend to trust this particular management when it comes to player judgement, so a percentage of my opinion is based on this. I would also add that I simply think if we're looking to be right up there fighting for the pots, we need a better level of quality and versatility. Again, would love to be proven wrong here.

To an extent you're absolutely right and I wouldn't argue. But it's an opinion I have based on several things. We shall see. As I always say about this sort of thing, I would love to be wrong mate.

EDIT: To add, I think it was very interesting that AVB & co chose to ship him out on loan in January when everyone (including me!) thought he'd have been a good possibility off the bench. I tend to trust this particular management when it comes to player judgement, so a percentage of my opinion is based on this. I would also add that I simply think if we're looking to be right up there fighting for the pots, we need a better level of quality and versatility. Again, would love to be proven wrong here.

I'm having doubts about Townsend being the solution myself. But, he has some advantages over Lennon at least: left-footed, comfortable on both flanks, goal threat both from outside and inside the box. In many ways he will be a direct replacement for Bale without us having to change to much. To get the best out of Lennon we'd have to change far more. If Townsend can keep up the level of prgress he showed during the winter he might very well become a very good player for us. Although, in buying Chadli who seems quite similar (except for being right footed) I do get the impression the management aren't totally convinced.

The one who should be worried though is Lennon. He probably won't leave this summer, but I can see him go in January. I like him as a player, but, unfortunaltely he is too much of a right midfielder.

:lol: How many 21 year old centre backs command a starting place at a club of Tottenham's quality/stature? Or ever have done? For example Piqué was a Man U reserve at 21...

For the level that we need to attain? Coming through domestic club youth ranks? Only the best ones, and it is the best ones we need. It's the Ferdinand's, Terry's, Carragher's, Woodgate's and King's that are good enough. At present there are a couple of exceptions to the rule I grant you, Cahill was already 20 when he broke through properly and Lescott bloomed late after kicking around the Championship for a few years.

I would have thought he was loaned out as AVB viewed him as someone who he could use in the future and thought half a season consistently playing in the PL would be better for him to come in and hit the ground running next season. We had enough experienced players to cover his position.

Look at the end of the day neither of us know,and I do agree the mental aspect is a bif factor but IMO I think he has a hell of a lot going for him and has a big future with us.....

Kaboul, Dawson, Townsend, Pique.... Anyone in this thread have anything to say about Chadli?

Hopefully he'll get a run out early in preseason now so we'll have something to base our discussions on :)

Seems that most people are like me - optimistic and hopeful, but without any real knowledge about the player...

havent they already proven you wrong?

I have high hopes for both still.....rose I have a soft spot for as I witnessed his thunderbolt at the lane in one of my best ever visits there...I think he is suited for what avb wants from a lb.......imo the loan spell at qpr was crucial for Townsend and he took the opportunity....I expect him to be in and around our 11 this year especially as we have extra games with EL...I expect Avb to rotate a bit more this time round.

But Hey this is the Chadli thread so welcome on board lad and this looks like an intelligent signing concerning competition/cover for lennon not to mention he can play cmf/amf as well.
I don't know much about Chadli but as I trust we know what we are doing and look forward to seeing what he can do in the shirt.

Just need to push for a cf - not entirely 'sold' on 'soldado' but again am willing to trust.....a couple of cf's move a few on and were good to go........still expecting a classic last minute levy deal though....

i think townsend is just what lennon needs at the moment - a kick up the backside.
lennon is great at what he does but you know he is capable of more.

I would have thought he was loaned out as AVB viewed him as someone who he could use in the future and thought half a season consistently playing in the PL would be better for him to come in and hit the ground running next season. We had enough experienced players to cover his position.

Look at the end of the day neither of us know,and I do agree the mental aspect is a bif factor but IMO I think he has a hell of a lot going for him and has a big future with us.....

I agree. A player being sent out on loan instead of being used as a peripheral squad member doesn't mean that the club doesn't rate him and could easily mean the opposite.

Kyle Walker is a decent example, could very easily have been kept around as a backup player or squad option.

Back