• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

Townsend's feet move faster than his brain. If he plays that way, with his pace he is going to trouble most fullbacks this season. In my opinion, the issue is when he feels under pressure to play like Ribery or Robben, his mind takes over and plays tricks on him. he can't shoot for brick but would scare the crap out of most defenders if they don't know which way he was going..from the larger perspective, teams that come at us will certainly be more vulnerable on the break where players like Townsend can hurt them. When we dominate possession, hold the high line and compress play, it's bleeding obvious that he has more time with his brain than his feet and tends to struggle. Not his fault. Teams that sit back and try to hit us on the break will be successful as we continue to transition at snail's pace. when given space to play (rare in the PL), Lamela particularly in some games last season looked like the world beater we paid for.

I am still determined to just enjoy Spurs again but continue to doubt the system as I feel Kane looks isolated, we struggle to create with compressed play & 10 opponents behind the ball and you need really good players to be able to cut in and score. Hopefully, given time, Poch will prove me wrong!! COYS!!

Apart from the Kane bit spasm I agree. Harry needs to stop hunting for the ball, he's all over the place.
It's a young team with an evolving system. Everyone further forward than dier is still finding their position and the best way to play them. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. All its needing at the moment is patience and discipline.

Apart from the Kane bit spasm I agree. Harry needs to stop hunting for the ball, he's all over the place.
It's a young team with an evolving system. Everyone further forward than dier is still finding their position and the best way to play them. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. All its needing at the moment is patience and discipline.

you are probably right. Lately, Kane looks anxious and tends to go looking for the ball. part of my perception is bleeding in from last season as i always felt that he looked isolated then.

i thought townsend added a lot to the team when he came on. van aanholt was definitely expecting him to cut inside but he eventually caught on to townsend going outside every time. imo, townsend (and really, all players) should mix it up to be less predictable which will cause defenders to hesitate more and possibly make more mistakes.

another "unpredictable" thing townsend did was not shoot every time he had the ball in the box. he actually created a good opportunity for himself to take a shot but instead was opting to pass to kane. i definitely want to see townsend come off the bench more. doesn't need to do anything fancy, more of the same please.

Think he's a really valuable squad member for us, he'll have games / periods where he'll look great and others he'll be sh1t, but he's a very good option to have off the bench, or mix up the starting 11 sometimes.

Back from the game. GOBSMACKED this thread hasn't been looked at.... The guy was truly atrocious tonight, awful awful player and shows Sunday was either s fluke, or coming in against really tired defenders for 15 minutes is all he's good for... Can't bare watching this guy play!

Does he not frustrate anyone else? Devastated we didn't sell him in the summer.

Such a weird turnaround. When he came on versus Sunderland I was not expecting much. But I liked what I saw, he came inside a few times and laid of simple paces, when he was 1 on 1 he took the defender on the outside. And more than that he picked out players with two crosses and Alli nearly scored from one.

So I was thinking. this is good. A bit of random Townsend but then with some discipline to know he needs to get crosses in and keep possesion.

Then last night. Oh dear. I just dont know what what it is with him. he has the pace, he has two great feet. He should start with the basics and then work it up. Just make sure you get some decent crosses in, keep possesion and do the odd show boat and see if it works.

It kind of reminds me when of a Time Joe Royle had Anders Limpar at Everton. He was so inconsistent. So Royle said to him that he had a quota of crosses to get in every game. It worked for him and he became way more productive for the team and less for himself.

Such a weird turnaround. When he came on versus Sunderland I was not expecting much. But I liked what I saw, he came inside a few times and laid of simple paces, when he was 1 on 1 he took the defender on the outside. And more than that he picked out players with two crosses and Alli nearly scored from one.

So I was thinking. this is good. A bit of random Townsend but then with some discipline to know he needs to get crosses in and keep possession.

Then last night. Oh dear. I just dont know what what it is with him. he has the pace, he has two great feet. He should start with the basics and then work it up. Just make sure you get some decent crosses in, keep possession and do the odd show boat and see if it works.

It kind of reminds me when of a Time Joe Royle had Anders Limpar at Everton. He was so inconsistent. So Royle said to him that he had a quota of crosses to get in every game. It worked for him and he became way more productive for the team and less for himself.

I could not agree more. I was disappointed in and for him last night.
I can only put it down to a mental problem

Giving the ball away and leaving loads of space behind so we can set up a counter attack?
That wasn't the case against Sunderland.... In that game he came on and did really well. Changed the game for us I thought and he did that by staying wide and beating his full back on the outside.

Last night he was absolute pants again though.

That wasn't the case against Sunderland.... In that game he came on and did really well. Changed the game for us I thought and he did that by staying wide and beating his full back on the outside.

Last night he was absolute pants again though.

Nah, he was might not have been brilliant but no way was he absolute pants

Reactions: DTA
Back