• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

The suggestion that football is a simple game really ****es me off.

AVB did everything right today, only two errors from Walker and Loris witch he can't be blamed for.

The suggestion that football is a simple game really ****es me off.

Indeed. Even in sunday league you play different lines, switch formations, systems etc.

More money is invested in football than gets spent on the space programme. There's no ways it's not treated as rocket science.

You surely werent expecting us to turn into Barcelona overnight. This is the team we have its physical.
But at least we played at tempo today.

I do not actually like the way barca play, no i was expecting us to change over night. I have been waiting for a season and a half for a style of play. We had a better game then usual today but we will revert to type soon. The odd goodish game is not going to sway my mind im not a little weak girly girl like some i know what i have seen this season and last season in games against fulham, west brom, everton, wigan and norwich.

AVB likes boring ugly physical football. This is his style i supported this club manny years and will do again for future years, will just be easier when that **** is somewhere else.

Just saw AVB's post match interview - He does come across like a petulant twit when under pressure.

I do not actually like the way barca play, no i was expecting us to change over night. I have been waiting for a season and a half for a style of play. We had a better game then usual today but we will revert to type soon. The odd goodish game is not going to sway my mind im not a little weak girly girl like some i know what i have seen this season and last season in games against fulham, west brom, everton, wigan and norwich.

AVB likes boring ugly physical football. This is his style i supported this club manny years and will do again for future years, will just be easier when that **** is somewhere else.

This is the kind of thing that saved him last year I think, in that most fans were willing to give him a chance. We had game upon game of slow tempo patient football against lesser sides at home, and people would be annoyed. But then we'd beat a Liverpool, an Arsenal, a Emirates Marketing Project, or pick up lots of points away playing nicer looking football, and people stayed behind him. He never reached the tipping point were most fans gave up on him.

Today was exactly as I thought it would be. More intensity, a quicker pace about the football because the whole approach is tailored so that we can compete and take the game to the opposition in matches like these. It's not a coincidence. If we didn't have the individual mistakes we could have won quite comfortably today.

Our next two games are away to sides in the relegation zone. Sitting back for 90 minutes won't do them much good as there's a gap opening up between 17th and 18th.

ManU made the mistake of opening the game and attacking us. THey gave us some space. If they had let us have the ball, and hit us on the break they would have had a better chance of beating us. Having said that ManU have got some problems too.

THe real test of whether AVB is going to go a bit more direct will be the next two games, the team/formation we put out, and if we really can put the struggling highly defensive teams to the sword.

ManU made the mistake of opening the game and attacking us. THey gave us some space. If they had let us have the ball, and hit us on the break they would have had a better chance of beating us. Having said that ManU have got some problems too.

THe real test of whether AVB is going to go a bit more direct will be the next two games, the team/formation we put out, and if we really can put the struggling highly defensive teams to the sword.

As you say, it takes two to tango. If either of Fulham or Sunderland decide to sit back it's much harder for us to be direct. The aspect of AVB's philosophies that we haven't mastered yet is to lure them out through patient probing, we resort to the long ball too soon. We also need to be more decisive when we win the ball high up, counter on their counter attack.

We only had one effort from inside the box today - our issue therefore continues. HOWEVER with Lennon back on the RW, we did look a lot more direct and threatening and, dare I say it, Paulinho also looked twice the player he has in the first half when playing in the role off Soldado. Didn't appreciate that that's where he used to play for Corinthians. Think we need to keep him there or leave him out - he's not worth a place in CM

7cnz.jpg

Our next two games are away to sides in the relegation zone. Sitting back for 90 minutes won't do them much good as there's a gap opening up between 17th and 18th.

The relegation sides that don't get relegated usually settle for a point against the top 6 sides and "go for it" against other relgation threatened sides.

Sunderland under Di Canio nearly nicked a point last term and Fulham beat us at home.

AVB has to win these 2 games or he is out IMO

We only had one effort from inside the box today - our issue therefore continues. HOWEVER with Lennon back on the RW, we did look a lot more direct and threatening and, dare I say it, Paulinho also looked twice the player he has in the first half when playing in the role off Soldado. Didn't appreciate that that's where he used to play for Corinthians. Think we need to keep him there or leave him out - he's not worth a place in CM

We're actually moved closer to AVB's famed 4-3-3 today. That was the first time his first choice CM (possibly Capoue will replace Dembele when he's fully fit) has played as a trio. It was interesting how losing the #10 actually made us more attacking.

IMO the final part of the plan will be to gradually introduce Lamela and Eriksen to the wide positions in place of Lennon and Chadli (though Eriksen may move into the Dembele position instead)

The relegation sides that don't get relegated usually settle for a point against the top 6 sides and "go for it" against other relgation threatened sides.

Sunderland under Di Canio nearly nicked a point last term and Fulham beat us at home.

I don't think things are anywhere near that critical. More than 2 points would be the minimum IMO.

I wonder who this journalist is that was specifically addressed post-match by Villas-Boas for his critical articles

AVB has basically just come out and had a go at Alan Sugar. Guess that means he was the guy briefing the press last week? Shameful if he did, I must say the criticisms did seem like they were coming from someone that didn't understand football.

It's funny, you see the camera cut to Levy when we concede against Saudi Sportswashing Machine, and he looks completely unmoved. But the press will say 'Anyone that saw Levy's reaction to the performance knows he is not a happy man'. But the same thing today, camera cuts to Levy after Sandro's goal and he has the exact same reaction. He is unmoved. He has seen it all before. I think there is a tendency to paint him as a trigger happy chairman that expects instant results but really I don't think he is. I think he has been in football long enough now to know the peaks and troughs, and it didn't feel like this week it was his opinions that were being projected.

Much more likely Sugar and his dinosaur mates wondering why this fraud is in charge of their team, and still annoyed that we got rid of Harry who was a top geezer.

Quote by onlyme

I don't think things are anywhere near that critical. More than 2 points would be the minimum IMO

I don't think AVB would survive a loss against either team. But 2 draws ironically would serve his future better than a win and a loss.

Back