• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

even if Levy gets rid of Avb, i dont trust him to find a decent replacement....the guy is a mug when it comes to appointing managers

even if Levy gets rid of Avb, i dont trust him to find a decent replacement....the guy is a mug when it comes to appointing managers

He did well getting in Harry although I suspect he was in desperate need for someone like Harry at the time.

He is a bit clueless but hopefully, if we do part ways with AVB in future, that Baldini will have some input. I suspect we have some serious cash still so wouldnt be surprised if we push the boat out for one of the German coaches - Klopp? Klinsmann?

At worst he is hit and miss - but regardless of the set backs we've steadily improved over his time here

Telegraph: Murat Yakin

Mail On Sunday: Fabio Capello

Express: Michael Laudrup, Gus Poyet, Jose Enrique

Sunday Mirror: Guus Hiddink

Shows how much they really know.

Hoddle is AVB but with a bigger ego, less people skills and ideas 15 years out-of-date (though still two decades ahead of anyone else in the English game)
Klopp is well out of our league
Klinsmann isn't a coach (he's a DoF)
Hiddink hasn't wanted to do club management for 7-8 years now

Murat Yakin and Jose Enrique are more the kind of figures we'll be looking at. Levy seems to get a hard-on for coaches at clubs with an ethos like he's trying to build (Seville, Porto, now Basel and maybe Swansea), rather than necessarily the coaches themselves (maybe he should have just forked out for Monchi or Henrique instead)

Last edited:

you are entitled to your opinion but seriously, i beg you to have some perspective. the last time we won the league was in 1961. the last time we won a European trophy was 1984. the last time we won the FA cup was 1991.

we were abysmal/turgid/tepid for most of the 90's.

whatever faults they had, Jol & Redknapp did give us some glory glory football and both were Levy's appointments.

I think Hiddink could be convinced to take the job BUT i doubt he'll agree to anything over a 2 year contract.

you are entitled to your opinion but seriously, i beg you to have some perspective. the last time we won the league was in 1961. the last time we won a European trophy was 1984. the last time we won the FA cup was 1991.

we were abysmal/turgid/tepid for most of the 90's.

whatever faults they had, Jol & Redknapp did give us some glory glory football and both were Levy's appointments.

yeah i know weve been cr@p for a long time:)

about Jol and Redknapp, well apparently Levy appointed Santini and it was Arnesen who insisted on Jol as part of the coaching set up, and when Santini bombed it was Arnesen again who twisted Levy's arm into appointing Jol as the full time manager......

regarding Redknapp, we had a director whose name escapes me, Paul something (had an investment firm called Rock investments iirc) who was a massive advocate of hiring Redknapp after Jol but Levy wouldnt have any of it. Redknapp never fitted the profile of the type of manager Levy wanted, plus Redknapp would never work with a DoF structure which Levy was a fan of. When ramos flopped and we had 2pts from 8, Levy really had no choice but to turn to someone like Redknapp to pull us out of the sh!te we were in

I think Hiddink could be convinced to take the job BUT i doubt he'll agree to anything over a 2 year contract.

Hiddink is a big mate of Abramovich though isnt he so im not sure Levy will want to allow someone like that into his inner circle at Spurs

I think Levy will go for another youngish coach......Yakin and Enrique are decent shouts but im not sure either are up to the job.

ive never been totally convinced about Laudrup but he might be someone who could get the best out of the likes of Lamela, Eriksen, Chadli and Townsend.

Frank De Boer might be an outside bet if we wait till next summer. Im sure eriksen and Vertonghen will appreciate his appointment

yeah i know weve been cr@p for a long time:)

about Jol and Redknapp, well apparently Levy appointed Santini and it was Arnesen who insisted on Jol as part of the coaching set up, and when Santini bombed it was Arnesen again who twisted Levy's arm into appointing Jol as the full time manager......

regarding Redknapp, we had a director whose name escapes me, Paul something (had an investment firm called Rock investments iirc) who was a massive advocate of hiring Redknapp after Jol but Levy wouldnt have any of it. Redknapp never fitted the profile of the type of manager Levy wanted, plus Redknapp would never work with a DoF structure which Levy was a fan of. When ramos flopped and we had 2pts from 8, Levy really had no choice but to turn to someone like Redknapp to pull us out of the sh!te we were in

Would like to know what AVB said or did to convince Levy he was the man. We missed a trick not getting in Martinez. Watching Everton play they look completely different to how they played last year under Moyes yet this has not proved to be a problem for the players to adapt to this new style. I mean Fook one touch passing and shoot when was the last time we saw Everton do that before this season.

Would like to know what AVB said or did to convince Levy he was the man. We missed a trick not getting in Martinez. Watching Everton play they look completely different to how they played last year under Moyes yet this has not proved to be a problem for the players to adapt to this new style. I mean Fook one touch passing and shoot when was the last time we saw Everton do that before this season.

i wanted martinez too.....and at Everton he has had to integrate new players into the first team but doesnt seem to have struggled from an attacking point of view like Avb has

i wanted martinez too.....and at Everton he has had to integrate new players into the first team but doesnt seem to have struggled from an attacking point of view like Avb has

I wanted Martinez - he was my number one choice. I guess people are still fooled somewhat by the manner in which AVB talks and uses words like 'dimension'...

Evertons first goal yesterday was very Barca like... oh and Martinez hasnt needed much time has he.

Lost their best player too and replaced him with Gareth Barry! ( ok I know it's not the same as Losing Bale but we replaced him with good quality players).

I wasn't sure about Martinez at the time TBH. He had such a poor win ratio at Wigan. My choice was Moyes. Looking at it now Martinez will do very well imo especially if everton give him some money to spend.

Lost their best player too and replaced him with Gareth Barry! ( ok I know it's not the same as Losing Bale but we replaced him with good quality players).

Felliani is sh!te anyway....Barry has done well imo this season, quite underrated

Most of Everton's new signings are experienced PL players - I love Martinez too and think he would be great for us but that should be factored in to any analysis of his success so far.

Most of Everton's new signings are experienced PL players - I love Martinez too and think he would be great for us but that should be factored in to any analysis of his success so far.

Why does every thing have to come down to a whole analytical PHD theory involving statistical analysis... we arent talking about the big bang theory.

Its fair to say he has been a success without having to factor anything into things. If we did he would still come out on top by a country mile - he didnt have 100m to spend for arguments sake.

Why does every thing have to come down to a whole analytical PHD theory involving statistical analysis... we arent talking about the big bang theory.

Its fair to say he has been a success without having to factor anything into things. If we did he would still come out on top by a country mile - he didnt have 100m to spend for arguments sake.

FFS...I think Scara is right, people are sceptical of anything remotely intellectual.

I even said I love Martinez, he's done a great job. He's a great manager. But if you're comparing him to ours - which you are doing - Martinez has mostly signed PL proven players while we have signed foreigners who have potential. It's an entirely relevant point to make if you are making a comparison, it's nothing really to do with stats at all.

Back