• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

I find it interesting that he basically is saying 'Once I've let you sit down with me you will know me', I wonder if he's done that with a few other journos.

The reason I say that is because there seems to be a couple - e.g. Duncan Castles and recently (surprisingly?) Martin Lipton - who are complimentary of AVB and are willing to give him patience. Then you have a group that like to make fun of him being an intellectual fraud. It's a really unique situation whereby there are such polarising opinions of the man, and two very distinct camps in journo circles.

It's like he's let Castles and Lipton in, and now they know to back him. And Graham Roberts last year, was a critic and now a supporter after sitting down with AVB.

I'd like to know how Lipton reported on AVB when he first joined us, as I could have sworn he was kind of against him.

Ok cool, I get them mixed up. What about matt scott, he was the one I was thinking of!

The guy AVB had a pop at presents Sunday supplement on sky .writes for the mail. Not sure on Matt Scott tho ..

ANDRE VILLAS-BOAS V NEIL ASHTON - FULL TRANSCRIPT
Question from another journalist: Your point is that you're under pressure so why is the United manager not under pressure?
Villas-Boas: Well I think... I don't want to undermine other managers. You can easily compare situations. We have sat above Emirates Marketing Project before and above Man United before and we haven’t seen any kind of these personal attacks to somebody, and they are in this room, so I think that is unfair.
It's something that obviously comes with the 6-0 thrashing but more important is the team and the response and I think the players did that in great, great fashion.
Ashton: What was personal about it, Andre?
Villas-Boas: You can easily understand. I don't need to explain. I think you have always chased people, you attack people. You don't attack them by the front, you attack them sitting when you write. You attack integrity, you attack competence, you attack the integrity of the person, their human values and you don't even know that person. We never got a chance to sit down and speak about it.
Ashton: I’m happy to speak about it.
Villas-Boas: Only when I give you that chance, when I know you and you know me are you able to reach conclusions like the one you did. I think yours and Martin's (Samuel) articles were completely out of order. That is my opinion.
Ashton: And I’m entitled to mine.
Villas-Boas: Of course, but I’m entitled to mine.
Ashton: But you are the one who has the problem with it, not me.
Villas-Boas: Ok but I’m making it public.
Ashton: Surely you don’t think there is a personal agenda?
Villas-Boas: I don’t think that, when I say there are articles that attack my integrity and human values. I think I don’t need to explain myself on that. Each one of us draws their own conclusions, that’s mine, obviously Neil and Martin have theirs and I respect their opinions as well but this is my opinion of what they write… even mixing the words that I said in the press conference after Emirates Marketing Project.
Ashton: Sorry, can you explain?
Villas-Boas: I never told that the players should feel ashamed of themselves. We, that includes me.
Ashton: But if you say we should feel ashamed of ourselves, you are including your group of players?
Villas-Boas: Obviously.
Ashton: So…
Simon Felstein (Tottenham head of media): It’s not about dividing them, that’s the difference. It’s not a discussion for right now, not with the cameras on Neil. I think we can talk about this after.
Ashton: No, I am happy to talk about it now.
Villas-Boas: We is us. We are everybody at the club. Don’t you agree? Why do you think this is any intention to separate myself from it?
Felstein: Move on.
Question from another journalist: Paulinho, Dembele and Sandro, moved the ball quicker, is this the missing link?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...draw-2-2-Manchester-United.html#ixzz2mFDpfnQ1
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

That is quality from AVB, fair play. Was it definitely Ashton at the Mail? I'm going to love to see how they report on him this week?

Makes a nice change from lapdog Redknapp.

There's a touch of Ferguson in this siege mentality approach, but at the moment AVB is just sticking to the right side of integrity (where as Ferguson was just a hostile ****).

ANDRE VILLAS-BOAS V NEIL ASHTON - FULL TRANSCRIPT
Question from another journalist: Your point is that you're under pressure so why is the United manager not under pressure?
Villas-Boas: Well I think... I don't want to undermine other managers. You can easily compare situations. We have sat above Emirates Marketing Project before and above Man United before and we haven’t seen any kind of these personal attacks to somebody, and they are in this room, so I think that is unfair.
It's something that obviously comes with the 6-0 thrashing but more important is the team and the response and I think the players did that in great, great fashion.
Ashton: What was personal about it, Andre?
Villas-Boas: You can easily understand. I don't need to explain. I think you have always chased people, you attack people. You don't attack them by the front, you attack them sitting when you write. You attack integrity, you attack competence, you attack the integrity of the person, their human values and you don't even know that person. We never got a chance to sit down and speak about it.
Ashton: I’m happy to speak about it.
Villas-Boas: Only when I give you that chance, when I know you and you know me are you able to reach conclusions like the one you did. I think yours and Martin's (Samuel) articles were completely out of order. That is my opinion.
Ashton: And I’m entitled to mine.
Villas-Boas: Of course, but I’m entitled to mine.
Ashton: But you are the one who has the problem with it, not me.
Villas-Boas: Ok but I’m making it public.
Ashton: Surely you don’t think there is a personal agenda?
Villas-Boas: I don’t think that, when I say there are articles that attack my integrity and human values. I think I don’t need to explain myself on that. Each one of us draws their own conclusions, that’s mine, obviously Neil and Martin have theirs and I respect their opinions as well but this is my opinion of what they write… even mixing the words that I said in the press conference after Emirates Marketing Project.
Ashton: Sorry, can you explain?
Villas-Boas: I never told that the players should feel ashamed of themselves. We, that includes me.
Ashton: But if you say we should feel ashamed of ourselves, you are including your group of players?
Villas-Boas: Obviously.
Ashton: So…
Simon Felstein (Tottenham head of media): It’s not about dividing them, that’s the difference. It’s not a discussion for right now, not with the cameras on Neil. I think we can talk about this after.
Ashton: No, I am happy to talk about it now.
Villas-Boas: We is us. We are everybody at the club. Don’t you agree? Why do you think this is any intention to separate myself from it?
Felstein: Move on.
Question from another journalist: Paulinho, Dembele and Sandro, moved the ball quicker, is this the missing link?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...draw-2-2-Manchester-United.html#ixzz2mFDpfnQ1
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

We all know Martin Samuels is a west ham ******

There's a touch of Ferguson in this siege mentality approach, but at the moment AVB is just sticking to the right side of integrity (where as Ferguson was just a hostile ****).

Are you related to AVB?

We're not allowed to mention Harry here in a positive manner so please refrain from using him when you're praising AVB.

Not as far as I know. Though our grandparents both come from greater Manchester.

It's just that I've never, ever seen you be critical of him in any way, shape or form, even after losing 6-0 last week. If he's half as good as you think he is then we should be winning trebles in 2-3 years time.

It's just that I've never, ever seen you be critical of him in any way, shape or form, even after losing 6-0 last week. If he's half as good as you think he is then we should be winning trebles in 2-3 years time.

Not only was he not critical of him vs City...he stated that we controlled the midfield battle in that game:lol:

I think that's smart from AVB. Shift some focus away from the players and onto himself. Make the press think twice about writing negative stuff about us and him and make the refs think twice about giving penalties against us.

I really don't think so. Attacking the media is almost always a mistake, in football as in politics. Not because the press will come after you (although, there is that) but more because it sounds insecure and paranoid.

There's also the question of whether AVB is right on the substance. I must go back and read the articles in question, but I hope he's right. He doesn't want to be making unfounded allegations of unfairness about reasonable op-ed pieces.

BaaosRJIEAA-vLW.jpg:large

I believe in his philosophy and have faith in him. I understand we can't compete with the five clubs richer than use unless we are smarter than them (the Porto, Ajax, Dortmund way). I also hate the instant gratification culture and see the path to long-term progress being through a carefully planned and executed strategy.

I genuinely think he can be as successful as Burkinshaw or Nicholson. And both them took 2-3 years to build their honours-challenging sides.

I also do criticise him. I've said somewhere that thought his substitutes today were poor and that he sacrificed too much control of the game for excitment to appease the masses.

We're not allowed to mention Harry here in a positive manner so please refrain from using him when you're praising AVB.

Frankly, that's ******** and an accusation that I take exception to. No one has ever been told that they cannot discuss Redknapp in a positive manner on this site.

Massive month for AVB and the club. A good December can HOPEFULLY set us up for another run like we went on last season.

Not only was he not critical of him vs City...he stated that we controlled the midfield battle in that game:lol:

We still had 60% possession in the first half. Then we switched to 4-4-2 to chase the game and the walls came caving in.

I believe in his philosophy and have faith in him. I understand we can't compete with the five clubs richer than use unless we are smarter than them (the Porto, Ajax, Dortmund way). I also hate the instant gratification culture and see the path to long-term progress being through a carefully planned and executed strategy.

I genuinely think he can be as successful as Burkinshaw or Nicholson. And both them took 2-3 years to build their honours-challenging sides.

I also do criticise him. I've said somewhere that thought his substitutes today were poor and that he sacrificed too much control of the game for excitment to appease the masses.

Well that's been the case for every Spurs manager for the last 15 years or so, don't know why AVB deserves extra leeway in that regard.

Provided the results and performances are good enough then I completely agree that he deserves 2-3 years at the minimum, and by that I mean top 5-6 and either winning trophies or coming close to winning trophies. Obviously you have more faith in him than I do but he does deserve at least until the end of the season.

That's genuinely the first time I've seen you be critical of him so fair play for that.

Back