• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB - Making Tottenham His Own

post in bold

post in bold..am out of here mate

Enjoy your day mate :)

From where I'm sitting our main problem at the moment is the lack of incisiveness/purpose when going forward, specifically against smaller teams and primarily against teams that sit back and defend. There are some other issues, I have had some complaints myself on specifics, but in the grander scale the main problem I think is what I've highlighted here.

I argued against your post, against that as a cohesive argument not against "the dissenters" as a cohesive unit. And I didn't say that you had written off AVB I think. I just said that I think that making points like the ones you made about being overrun, or losing 3-0 is far from the centre of the argument and I said what I think that looks like. Feel free to disagree, just my opinion and all that.

Looking at the slightly larger picture I don't see many problems apart from the one I highlighted. We're solid, we can beat anyone on our day, we're good away from home, we have a lot of good players and so on. Most teams have issues, Liverpool couldn't beat a top half team last season, City can't get results away from home this season, Chelsea are inconsistent as ****, United have shown weaknesses and so on. Our issue is one that needs improvement, but let's try to keep some perspective. And with perspective is it really right to be complaining about us being overrun by smaller teams or losing 3-0 as if it's a frequent occurrence?

Not trying to minimize the problem, it's a real one and one that needs sorting. But I disagree that some of the points being raised as explanations are just excuses or people brushing things off. You mention Arsenal, and you admire their style and the commitment Wenger has to that style. I just pointed out that this choice also has failed to deliver for them when they've been in a not too dissimilar position to where we are now and it took time. Despite them being much longer down the road with their manager and their style.

/rant.

you answered it yourself. we have the players already and we should have a manager that can do that players that dont have the mentality. i dont know if AVB can do that or not to be fair and i dont know how long it takes in theory...genuine answer

again, using absolutes.......if SAF was here i wouldnt worry about that, not even from rose or people used to mediocre performances

I think we agree that it takes a long time. I think it's a bit unfair to expect AVB to have that done by now.

I get that we want to aim high as a club, but some of the comparisons being made in this thread does my head in. Whatever the topic people bring up whoever they think are the very best at that specific are and use that as a basis for comparison for AVB. Talk about making teams mentally tough, proper teams. Compare to Ferguson. Talk about teams being entertaining, compare to Wenger. Talk about teams turning around their fortunes quickly, compare to Rodgers and Pochettino (at most points last season this comparison would surely be with someone else). It's really setting AVB up to fail to continuously by making these comparisons. Who could we get that would with some certainty would come out on top even in any 2 of these categories? And then what with defensive solidity, being able to beat top teams, being good away from home and so on?

This is also true in terms of results along with style. Wenger, Rodgers and Pochettino are the one's used as comparisons all the time in this thread. Yes, those 3 have done really well so far this season. I'm guessing if we were having this argument at a similar point in the season last year those wouldn't have been used as the standard to compare AVB to. And I'm guessing if one or two of them fail to keep their teams consistent throughout this season and 10 games into the next one whereas someone else (say Moyes, Pellegrini or Mourinho) does really well those new names will be the names used in the comparisons. Consistently those currently getting the very best out of their teams is the basis for comparison, by pure chance (assuming a normal distribution) there will be 2-3 managers in that category. But to continuously compare to those and change as the fortunes of other teams change seems an impossibly high standard. No wonder then that "only" sorting out or defending, our performances away from home, our results against big teams and some of our mental problems whilst failing to get our attacking fluidity sorted looks so completely unacceptable.

(Not all of that aimed at you and your post affy, more general points)

am going to attempt to minimise my post but keep it clear as much as i can

Enjoy your day mate :)
From where I'm sitting our main problem at the moment is the lack of incisiveness/purpose when going forward, specifically against smaller teams and primarily against teams that sit back and defend

i think its more than that, it would be nice to have that, that would REALLY make us title contenders, something i never truly believed we were this year despite me egging on the AVB fan club saying "this is his season like you said after all blah blah blah, 109 spend blah etc. The LEVEL of pedestrian like appraoch and slow build up is TOO MUCh to blame on the team in game as if its something they cannot do. I think they can do it to a much better degree that they give us, they just dont cause i dont think they are told to. i dont think we will ever be an intriccate as arsenal or city this season but we should be better going forward. The purpose and incisiveness that we are lacking are obvious things that anyone human being save for people in denial can see.....i'm more worried about the reason for that. you say its the players and the player types we have as the primary issue...i think its AVB's chosen style , team selection to execute that style and an unwillingess to commit men forward unless he is chasing a goal or going after one

I argued against your post, against that as a cohesive argument not against "the dissenters" as a cohesive unit. And I didn't say that you had written off AVB I think. I just said that I think that making points like the ones you made about being overrun, or losing 3-0 is far from the centre of the argument and I said what I think that looks like. Feel free to disagree, just my opinion and all that.

i'm still not sure what you mean here

1 point is that we arent a fluid and cohesive unit
2nd point is that bale leaving is not enough for us to get put the task or drop to the level of Saudi Sportswashing Machine , west ham and hull in ability or in game performance.

the point wasnt addressed to you and it was addressing a different point brought up by someone else. Am not sure if we are limited to just one point to argue again. i could write a disclaimer as address the points individually if it helps people understand where i am coming from..(i actually used to do that in the past i might start again to be fair)

Looking at the slightly larger picture I don't see many problems apart from the one I highlighted. We're solid, we can beat anyone on our day, we're good away from home, we have a lot of good players and so on. Most teams have issues, Liverpool couldn't beat a top half team last season, City can't get results away from home this season, Chelsea are inconsistent as ****, United have shown weaknesses and so on. Our issue is one that needs improvement, but let's try to keep some perspective. And with perspective is it really right to be complaining about us being overrun by smaller teams or losing 3-0 as if it's a frequent occurrence?

no one is complaining against anything here aside from letting slide the notion that there is a valid reason in bale leaving that means that we should get brushed over by teams we are better than. perspective or no that isnt a good enough reason. norwich could walk up in our house, get a draw or beat us or match us man for man with us getting a lucky win...and someone is going to say "oh well its cause we didnt have our world class player from last season and its cause we bought to many top class internationals so you cant expect us to out play them". .........no , i'll be stubborn till i am ill on that. of cousre there is alot of perspective to be had which i agree with....why that means i should swallow silly reasons for getting out done by teams lesser than us at home i am not so sure

Not trying to minimize the problem, it's a real one and one that needs sorting. But I disagree that some of the points being raised as explanations are just excuses or people brushing things off. You mention Arsenal, and you admire their style and the commitment Wenger has to that style.

I just pointed out that this choice also has failed to deliver for them when they've been in a not too dissimilar position to where we are now and it took time. Despite them being much longer down the road with their manager and their style.

sorry to be pedantic but the point there that you were making i wouldnt have disagreed with, it also was NOT the point i was making which is what you actually said ...i.e "i dont see what your point is or how it supports your point"...i never made that point in the first place...playing style however is another thing. losing your best players wont change your style is you stick to it......forget about points and results as that isnt the issue for that one

/rant.

I think we agree that it takes a long time. I think it's a bit unfair to expect AVB to have that done by now.

after 18 months? i dont know personally...the funny thing is that i do think we have a bit of a dogged hard to beat menatlity......i dont know if we have a "right to win" mentality yet though. but it isnt fair to ask AVb to do this i agree. nothing in his career has shown that he can. i dont know if we should expect it either

I get that we want to aim high as a club, but some of the comparisons being made in this thread does my head in. Whatever the topic people bring up whoever they think are the very best at that specific are and use that as a basis for comparison for AVB. Talk about making teams mentally tough, proper teams. Compare to Ferguson. Talk about teams being entertaining, compare to Wenger. Talk about teams turning around their fortunes quickly, compare to Rodgers and Pochettino (at most points last season this comparison would surely be with someone else). It's really setting AVB up to fail to continuously by making these comparisons. Who could we get that would with some certainty would come out on top even in any 2 of these categories? And then what with defensive solidity, being able to beat top teams, being good away from home and so on?

i can agree with this, i can only use absolutes to show that the points being made by some dont withstand scrutiny in isolation..or even in conjunction with other points made .

but i have to say i do agree with you.

it reminds me when people called stalteri **** cause he got done by ronaldo. ridiculous.

i can see that this is a pet peeve of yours and i will try not to use those guys in the future

This is also true in terms of results along with style. Wenger, Rodgers and Pochettino are the one's used as comparisons all the time in this thread. Yes, those 3 have done really well so far this season. I'm guessing if we were having this argument at a similar point in the season last year those wouldn't have been used as the standard to compare AVB to.

that would be wrong, i would have raised it...KINGDAWSON too.....i say this because both of us DID raise it even when we were flying high. that we were winnig off the back of bale and that we were stale in attack etc etc

And I'm guessing if one or two of them fail to keep their teams consistent throughout this season and 10 games into the next one whereas someone else (say Moyes, Pellegrini or Mourinho) does really well those new names will be the names used in the comparisons. Consistently those currently getting the very best out of their teams is the basis for comparison, by pure chance (assuming a normal distribution) there will be 2-3 managers in that category. But to continuously compare to those and change as the fortunes of other teams change seems an impossibly high standard. No wonder then that "only" sorting out or defending, our performances away from home, our results against big teams and some of our mental problems whilst failing to get our attacking fluidity sorted looks so completely unacceptable.

(Not all of that aimed at you and your post affy, more general points)

again i can see your point..it is just unfortunate that moyes, jose and wenger are consistent through their careers overall..and that pochettino has basically made southampton into a better looking team than us. those guys will get used again and again...i havent used pochettino cause i dont know that much about him but i do respct what the guy has done..VERY much. I hve more admiration for him and his career than i do AVB as it happens..mainly cause of the hype that came with avb and the lack of it with pochettino in comparison...and to see how saints are really making a go of it this year...very nice work

having said that i want to see how they get on with injuries..that there is a litmus test of any manager......its why i always say wenger is the best coach but SAF was the best manager. wenger didnt always cope to well with injuries when his squad lost more than one key player at a time....SAF can lose three or four and make names out of Evans, wellbeck and cleverly..and call scholes out of retirement and just keep on rocking

(that will be my last premier manager comparison to AVB)

Answers in bold.

am going to attempt to minimise my post but keep it clear as much as i can

i think its more than that, it would be nice to have that, that would REALLY make us title contenders, something i never truly believed we were this year despite me egging on the AVB fan club saying "this is his season like you said after all blah blah blah, 109 spend blah etc. The LEVEL of pedestrian like appraoch and slow build up is TOO MUCh to blame on the team in game as if its something they cannot do. I think they can do it to a much better degree that they give us, they just dont cause i dont think they are told to. i dont think we will ever be an intriccate as arsenal or city this season but we should be better going forward. The purpose and incisiveness that we are lacking are obvious things that anyone human being save for people in denial can see.....i'm more worried about the reason for that. you say its the players and the player types we have as the primary issue...i think its AVB's chosen style , team selection to execute that style and an unwillingess to commit men forward unless he is chasing a goal or going after one

It's more than that? Ok, like what? I don't see the examples here...

You say that what we are lacking are obvious things that any human being save for people in denial can see. But you think AVB is fine with it and it's a stylistic choice? I don't get it. If it's that obvious that it's a big problem why wouldn't AVB see it and work towards fixing it? Seems like a massive assumption has to be made about AVB being outright incompetent (or in denial, or not a human being;)) for this to hold.

i'm still not sure what you mean here

1 point is that we arent a fluid and cohesive unit
2nd point is that bale leaving is not enough for us to get put the task or drop to the level of Saudi Sportswashing Machine , west ham and hull in ability or in game performance.

the point wasnt addressed to you and it was addressing a different point brought up by someone else. Am not sure if we are limited to just one point to argue again. i could write a disclaimer as address the points individually if it helps people understand where i am coming from..(i actually used to do that in the past i might start again to be fair)

As to your second point, I think that's fine. But who isn't this the same point as the point above about our lacking attacking purpose/fluidity? Isn't that what has been lacking in these games? It's not like we've been outplayed, it's mainly that we've struggled to break them down.

no one is complaining against anything here aside from letting slide the notion that there is a valid reason in bale leaving that means that we should get brushed over by teams we are better than. perspective or no that isnt a good enough reason. norwich could walk up in our house, get a draw or beat us or match us man for man with us getting a lucky win...and someone is going to say "oh well its cause we didnt have our world class player from last season and its cause we bought to many top class internationals so you cant expect us to out play them". .........no , i'll be stubborn till i am ill on that. of cousre there is alot of perspective to be had which i agree with....why that means i should swallow silly reasons for getting out done by teams lesser than us at home i am not so sure

Which teams that we should be better than have "brushed us over"? Seriously, we must have been watching different games.

Well, I think that having a lot of new players to integrate is a challenge for any team and that consistent attacking fluidity/purpose (one of the hardest things ins football) might take time in circumstances like that. And in a league like the Premier League that is very tight and competitive there are a lot of teams capable of making games fairly close when the bigger teams isn't at their best.

sorry to be pedantic but the point there that you were making i wouldnt have disagreed with, it also was NOT the point i was making which is what you actually said ...i.e "i dont see what your point is or how it supports your point"...i never made that point in the first place...playing style however is another thing. losing your best players wont change your style is you stick to it......forget about points and results as that isnt the issue for that one

I'm assuming that our playing style is in development. I'm assuming this is not the end game and that AVB is aware of most of our shortcomings and is working towards correcting those. He could have set out playing the style he wanted at the end of the development and waited for things to click into place, he tried something like that at Chelsea. I'm glad he didn't here.

/rant.

after 18 months? i dont know personally...the funny thing is that i do think we have a bit of a dogged hard to beat menatlity......i dont know if we have a "right to win" mentality yet though. but it isnt fair to ask AVb to do this i agree. nothing in his career has shown that he can. i dont know if we should expect it either

I agree that we are improving, but I accept that these things take time. And as I think a lot of the changes in mentality will require player changes it makes sense to me that part of this is also that the new leaders coming in must be given time to settle into their roles as leaders in the team. We all remember how Parker supposedly changed the mentality of the dressing room upon arrival, yet when the going got tough he wasn't able to change our fortunes. I've stopped looking for an individual player to "lead our charge", we need a squad with many strong characters and I think we're in the process of assembling that squad.

i can agree with this, i can only use absolutes to show that the points being made by some dont withstand scrutiny in isolation..or even in conjunction with other points made .

but i have to say i do agree with you.

it reminds me when people called stalteri **** cause he got done by ronaldo. ridiculous.

i can see that this is a pet peeve of yours and i will try not to use those guys in the future

You don't have to avoid it on my account, but if you agree that it's unfair probably it's better to look for other comparisons?

that would be wrong, i would have raised it...KINGDAWSON too.....i say this because both of us DID raise it even when we were flying high. that we were winnig off the back of bale and that we were stale in attack etc etc

I agree although this wasn't really related to what I said in the part you quoted?

again i can see your point..it is just unfortunate that moyes, jose and wenger are consistent through their careers overall..and that pochettino has basically made southampton into a better looking team than us. those guys will get used again and again...i havent used pochettino cause i dont know that much about him but i do respct what the guy has done..VERY much. I hve more admiration for him and his career than i do AVB as it happens..mainly cause of the hype that came with avb and the lack of it with pochettino in comparison...and to see how saints are really making a go of it this year...very nice work

having said that i want to see how they get on with injuries..that there is a litmus test of any manager......its why i always say wenger is the best coach but SAF was the best manager. wenger didnt always cope to well with injuries when his squad lost more than one key player at a time....SAF can lose three or four and make names out of Evans, wellbeck and cleverly..and call scholes out of retirement and just keep on rocking

I don't disagree

(that will be my last premier manager comparison to AVB)

I'm not saying that we can't compare, I'm just asking for a bit of perspecive and an acceptance that showing that AVB is not as good as the very best around (at least at this point) is a very high bar to set and accordingly not the most relevant comparison. (Again, not aimed specifically at you).

Completely agree with africanspurs. Steff to his credit has actually listed a few things which he thinks AVB is getting wrong, but it just seems like excuse after excuse from a lot of other posters. Top clubs lose players, it's part of football. If the players aren't good enough, then the person who bought the players is culpable, if the players aren't playing well, then the manager is culpable. Last season it was "we lost Modric, King and VDV, what do you expect." This season it's "we lost Bale what do you expect." Next season it will be "we've lost Vertonghen and Lloris" you get the idea.

Can't put a number on it, but I think most of us were In agreement that Lamela should have started on Sunday, I get you can't always throw players in straight away, but he does it at a snails pace. We buy all these players presumably because he thought some of our starting 11 weren't good enough already, but he doesn't play and stick with the new guys.

I couldn't believe how well people took last season's fifth place finish after being 7 points clear. I don't expect people to go mental, but I couldn't believe the almost ambivalence towards it.

This thread will of course be revisited as the season goes on and ultimately at the end. Well if we finish 4th then I will look stupid which I would be ecstatic about.

I leave the floor open to the posters who are absolutely convinced that AVB is the man to take this club and turn it into a regular top 4 side. Please tell me why you are so convinced about him.

I wonder what it would have been like on the internet a few years after Fergie took over at Man Utd.

Agree on that. Eriksen even said playing the VdV role was a change for him, so he is going to take time to get used to things and of our inverted wingers this weekend gone; Townsend has been doing it for less that a year in the top flight (QPR loan) and Gylfi will never be. I accept it will take time but at the same time like all fans the lack of goals is frustrating, we all want to see this team become clinical in front of goal and open teams up, which is why having a better passer of the ball in midfield with Eriksen is a must for me. I worry more about where Lloris and Jan will be next September if we don't push on soon.

Most likely at least one of them will go and we'll have another transitional season.

Calling for the manager's head is over the top, but questioning poor performances and results isn't. I realise it's early and we could end up in the top 4 and could end up laughing about this thread come May, but we can only go on what we've seen so far can't we.

Different times back then. Being patient is admirable but ignoring deficiencies and blind faith is not for me.

I'm still genuinely intrigued though. I mean they nearly got relegated, right? Fans were asking for him to be sacked etc. You're right though, different times.

I'm still genuinely intrigued though. I mean they nearly got relegated, right? Fans were asking for him to be sacked etc. You're right though, different times.

From what I remember Fergie saved himself from the chop by winning a trophy in one of his early seasons.

Different times back then. Being patient is admirable but ignoring deficiencies and blind faith is not for me.

Who is ignoring our deficiences? Let's have some names because general statements like this get us nowhere and it'd be nice to here from someone in reply - i can't say ive noticed anyone who isn't in agreement of what our problems are, the debate seems to be, from my perspective, WHY are they happening and can we expect to see any progess

Who is ignoring our deficiences? Let's have some names because general statements like this get us nowhere and it'd be nice to here from someone in reply - i can't say ive noticed anyone who isn't in agreement of what our problems are, the debate seems to be, from my perspective, WHY are they happening and can we expect to see any progess

Ok maybe not ignoring but there's an excuse for everything:

Not playing Lamela

Looking poor going forward

Not scoring many goals at home, over a season to judge now don't forget

Team selections

He missed out on certain players, didn't get his first choice. This one has some validity but unless you manage Real Madrid, you're going to be disappointed every now and then and work with what you have.

Last edited:

Completely agree with africanspurs. Steff to his credit has actually listed a few things which he thinks AVB is getting wrong, but it just seems like excuse after excuse from a lot of other posters. Top clubs lose players, it's part of football. If the players aren't good enough, then the person who bought the players is culpable, if the players aren't playing well, then the manager is culpable. Last season it was "we lost Modric, King and VDV, what do you expect." This season it's "we lost Bale what do you expect." Next season it will be "we've lost Vertonghen and Lloris" you get the idea.

Can't put a number on it, but I think most of us were In agreement that Lamela should have started on Sunday, I get you can't always throw players in straight away, but he does it at a snails pace. We buy all these players presumably because he thought some of our starting 11 weren't good enough already, but he doesn't play and stick with the new guys.

I couldn't believe how well people took last season's fifth place finish after being 7 points clear. I don't expect people to go mental, but I couldn't believe the almost ambivalence towards it.

This thread will of course be revisited as the season goes on and ultimately at the end. Well if we finish 4th then I will look stupid which I would be ecstatic about.

I leave the floor open to the posters who are absolutely convinced that AVB is the man to take this club and turn it into a regular top 4 side. Please tell me why you are so convinced about him.

I think the main reason Modric and Bale being lost in successive seasons is brought up so much is because they were both such integral, pivotal players in our last three/four years respectively.

Yes mate, to underscore what you'd said about some criticisms I do have of AVB, I think it's clear that his inexperience leads him to safety-first. And that he is still developing his man-management skills/trust of players at key moments.

It's hard to disagree that he needs to let the players be more expressive at home, and it's hard to disagree that sometimes the players look hamstrung by tactics. I think in the last few weeks there has certainly been a confidence issue within AVB as he has been uncharactaristically nervy and said 'out-bursty' with regards to first the fans and then the Lloris issue.

I personally believe he will overcome this phase and that we will start to see a more expansive approach to home games especially. I base this feeling on the fact that he has come a long way in a short amount of time (counting his time at Chelski) and that he is a very, very good manager who is smart enough to know that learning is the key to advancing. I firmly believe that his has been a large tool-box to assemble and that he is still learning who's got what and when. Once finalized, I think we will fight on many fronts. For the record, if we win a trophy such as the UEFA this season, I will be very satisfied.

One thing which must be said is that the shadow of Harry still looms large for some people, and that for that reason alone, AVB will never ever have the time Harry would've got. I don't think saying this is controversial or ****-stirry…I think if we're honest, it's fact.

And I have to say once more (and most certainly a general point here not aimed at anyone specifically) the whole 'AVB out' thread is absolutely ludicrous IMO.

His first trophy came 4 years after he signed.

He actually did quite well in his first full season, finishing second. They finished 11th the season before after being in 21st when he was hired in November 1986. In 89 they ended up in 11th again before their infamous poor run the following season.

From wiki: For the 1989–90 season, Ferguson further boosted his squad by paying large sums of money for midfielders Neil Webb, Mike Phelan and Paul Ince, as well as defender Gary Pallister and winger Danny Wallace. The season began well with a 4–1 win over defending champions Arsenal on the opening day, but United's league form quickly turned sour. In September, United suffered a humiliating 5–1 away defeat against fierce rivals Emirates Marketing Project. Following this and an early season run of six defeats and two draws in eight games, a banner declaring "Three years of excuses and it's still crap ... ta-ra Fergie." was displayed at Old Trafford, and many journalists and supporters called for Ferguson to be sacked.[51][52] Ferguson later described December 1989 as "the darkest period [he had] ever suffered in the game", as United ended the decade just outside the relegation zone.[53][54]

However, Ferguson later revealed that the board of directors had assured him that they were not considering dismissing him. Although naturally disappointed with the lack of success in the league, they understood the reasons for the sub-standard results (namely the absence of several key players due to injury) and were pleased with the way that Ferguson had reorganised the club's coaching and scouting system.

They went on to win the FA Cup that season.

Re: AVB On Reals Madrid's Short List For New Manager

What do you suggest we do? If we fail to meet our targets just sort of shrug and say oh well everyone else was better, what can we do?

How do you arrive at that conclusion?

:-S

Id rather focus on the topic at hand than hypothetical scenarios if im honest - but for arguments sake - should we fail to make our targets come the end of the season id assess what i think were the reasons as to why and if i thought it was down to the manager and that there was no signs of any future progress id probably be of the same opinion i was a couple of summers ago with our previous manager.

Re: AVB On Reals Madrid's Short List For New Manager

How do you arrive at that conclusion?

:-S

Because that is what happened last season. Everyone pointed to Scum's winning run which was undeniably good for them, but didn't put enough emphasis on the fact that WE threw points away in the last 10 games.

Back