• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB - Making Tottenham His Own

Yeah, don't see how it wasn't a good season. Best points tally, 10 away wins, got us playing good as a team, installed some sort of never say die attitude where we don't give up, made us harder to defeat. Brilliant season without a decent striker and a creative midfielder. Can't wait to see what he does next season with Bale and a decent striker.
Who said it wasn't a good season?

He had a good season but it wasn't so good that Barca and Real will come calling. Hell it wasn't even that good that PSG will offer those stupid wages despite being oil rich. Again he's had a good season but his age plays a big part in why they're interested (if he was in his 50's/60's i'm pretty sure they wouldn't even consider him).

If he goes, Bale goes. Spurs continue to be a laughing stock. That's that.

For GHod's sake, some are taking this as an insult to Spurs and AVB. :lol:

What did we all expect at the beginning of the season? Top 6. What did we get? Top 6. 5th in the league, average cup runs, with the 6th highest wage bill. I'm happy with the season and I'm happy with AVB. I was desperate for us to get him last summer.

But he hasn't done anything yet at his time at Spurs to a) call it a great season (as, in my view, having a great season is either winning trophies or achieving well and beyond your club's/squad's capabilities) or b) attract the likes of Real or PSG.

For me, having a 'great' season would have been finishing 3rd or 4th, probably with a trophy. It isn't what I expected and that's why it would have been a great season. It would have been above and beyond what I deem to be our squad's capability.

And of course the Chelsea thing hurt him. Hence why he's at Spurs and not at a club like PSG or Real.

But as I said, who knows? Football is a hard thing to predict, Perez might make his move tomorrow. Personally, I think someone like Mancini is more likely to end up at PSG than AVB.

If he goes, Bale goes. Spurs continue to be a laughing stock. That's that.

Why? Firstly, I don't think the two events are so intricately linked.

Secondly, we're not a super club, we're the tier below. So we have to accept that our players and managers, if they do well, will move on. I'd rather our manager move on cos he's done a great job than us firing him cos he's been brick.

Continue to be a laughing stock? I don't know anyone who thinks we're already a laughing stock.

Look around, I think a lot of other clubs around us continuously laugh at us. Mostly for our failure to get CL football despite being in the same position every year and flopping. Although I don't agree with their decision to laugh at us this season as Arsenal and Chelsea were just the better teams, as they continuously have been for years.

Look around, I think a lot of other clubs around us continuously laugh at us. Mostly for our failure to get CL football despite being in the same position every year and flopping. Although I don't agree with their decision to laugh at us this season as Arsenal and Chelsea were just the better teams, as they continuously have been for years.

If people laugh at us it is because our fans are second only to Liverpool for overreacting

Why? Firstly, I don't think the two events are so intricately linked.

Secondly, we're not a super club, we're the tier below. So we have to accept that our players and managers, if they do well, will move on. I'd rather our manager move on cos he's done a great job than us firing him cos he's been brick.

Spot on

Who said it wasn't a good season?

He had a good season but it wasn't so good that Barca and Real will come calling. Hell it wasn't even that good that PSG will offer those stupid wages despite being oil rich. Again he's had a good season but his age plays a big part in why they're interested (if he was in his 50's/60's i'm pretty sure they wouldn't even consider him).

exactly, if we were finishing 3rd within touching distance of the title then i could see why the top level clubs would possibly be jumping over themselves to get in AvB - finishing 5th (no matter how good/bad you think that was for us this season) isn't going to get the attention of the 'big' boys.

and as for being a laughing stock?

who laughs at us other than Arsenal fans? the same people who ironically forget the gulf in revenue between the two clubs.

that is EXACTLY why they laugh at us..

Well have a read back through the thread and see who is making hysterical posts of doom and gloom and tell them to pull their act together. They're letting the team down and making us all look like fickle fetid turds.

I think as was said in the Bale thread; if Bale goes, probably AVB goes, given all the quotes of "i've had assurances from the board that we don't need to sell Bale"...

If people laugh at us it is because our fans are second only to Liverpool for overreacting

The biggest laughing stocks are usually those that worry the most about being laughing stocks, seeing nothing but doom and failure everywhere.

I laugh at all other teams whenever they're involved in something laughable, but selling Bale for a ridiculous amount of money is certainly no reason for them to laugh at us. Are Arsenal fans gonna laugh at us for being a selling club? They pretty much set the standard for selling your best players. Do we care what Chelsea fans think? Hell no.

The biggest laughing stocks are usually those that worry the most about being laughing stocks, seeing nothing but doom and failure everywhere.

I laugh at all other teams whenever they're involved in something laughable, but selling Bale for a ridiculous amount of money is certainly no reason for them to laugh at us. Are Arsenal fans gonna laugh at us for being a selling club? They pretty much set the standard for selling your best players. Do we care what Chelsea fans think? Hell no.

Well put!

---------------

Back to AVB, I don't think he will leave. Not because he owes us and not because we "made him what he is today", that seems ridiculous. I just think he will be happy where he is, with a team that's working for him and at a club that is progressing. I just don't think PSG is a big enough step up for him to make that move.

For GHod's sake, some are taking this as an insult to Spurs and AVB. :lol:

What did we all expect at the beginning of the season? Top 6. What did we get? Top 6. 5th in the league, average cup runs, with the 6th highest wage bill. I'm happy with the season and I'm happy with AVB. I was desperate for us to get him last summer.

But he hasn't done anything yet at his time at Spurs to a) call it a great season (as, in my view, having a great season is either winning trophies or achieving well and beyond your club's/squad's capabilities) or b) attract the likes of Real or PSG.

For me, having a 'great' season would have been finishing 3rd or 4th, probably with a trophy. It isn't what I expected and that's why it would have been a great season. It would have been above and beyond what I deem to be our squad's capability.

And of course the Chelsea thing hurt him. Hence why he's at Spurs and not at a club like PSG or Real.

But as I said, who knows? Football is a hard thing to predict, Perez might make his move tomorrow. Personally, I think someone like Mancini is more likely to end up at PSG than AVB.

Your contribution to this thread has been very good.

AVB is unlikely to move from us this summer.

Nice post.

I think for Napoli he was under serious consideration and it is very real the PSG interest in AVB...however there are decent reasons why AVB & Levy will reject this. Im sure AVB will not be happy knowing he is second pick to Hiddink.....he has had his rep burned at sugar daddy club very recently and most importantly I think he will be loyal to Levy who gave him three years at our great club when he was being derided by most in this country INCLUDING many of us spurs fans who bought into the AVB doesnt have a clue bullcrap.....

Here is one for you steff. I believe 100% that AVB will stay and manage us next year and nothing would please me more........unless maybe Rhianna & steak & chips......

please back AVB mr Levy I do believe we can achieve greatness with AVB at the helm.......cant explain it but not felt this way about our manager since ever.....such a classy guy and I can see his passion & desire to win as steff aluded to. We had a decent not great season but if Levy trusts/backs avb we could be in business!!!!![-o<

This from Jason Burt who was always supposed to be close to AVB

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...lion-to-lure-Andre-Villas-Boas-to-France.html

Paris St-Germain prepared to pay Tottenham £10 million to lure Andre Villas-Boas to France
Paris St-Germain want Andre Villas-Boas to become their new head coach and are prepared to pay the £10 million it would take to buy him out of his contract at Tottenham Hotspur.

Villas-Boas is on holiday and PSG are yet to make formal contact with Spurs or the Portuguese’s representatives but they want the 35-year-old to succeed Carlo Ancelotti. According to club sources, Villas-Boas has emerged as their No 1 choice.

Ancelotti, like Villas-Boas a former Chelsea manager, is expected to succeed Jose Mourinho at Real Madrid and has made Tottenham’s Gareth Bale his main transfer target.
Real also considered making a move for Villas-Boas – as did Napoli before they decided against meeting the buy-out clause and instead opted to hire Rafael Benítez, yet another former Chelsea manager.

Villas-Boas has restored his reputation in the Premier League after guiding Spurs to fifth place. Although they missed out on Champions League qualification Spurs achieved a record points total, 72.

Even though he was sacked by Chelsea, after a difficult few months in charge, Villas-Boas’s reputation remained high throughout Europe and Real even considered approaching him last summer when it appeared Mourinho would leave.

Mourinho’s return to Chelsea, plus strong indications that Emirates Marketing Project, Manchester United, Arsenal and Liverpool will all spend significantly, has led to concerns that Spurs might struggle to break into that top four without strengthening.

The impending arrival of Franco Baldini as the club’s new director of football is a positive step. The former England general manager left his post at Roma last week and is in London this week for talks with Spurs chairman Daniel Levy over his role.

Villas-Boas had pushed for Baldini’s appointment last summer but accepted Levy’s position that he wanted to give it a year to see whether the new head coach worked out before changing the structure.

Baldini is regarded as one of the most accomplished directors of football in Europe and his appointment, along with the opening of a new training ground last year and plans for a new stadium, is a progressive move.

However, there are more immediate concerns about the strength of Spurs’ squad, as Villas-Boas has already publicly stated. The first XI is regarded as competitive but there is a lack of depth on the bench, particularly in terms of attacking players.

Villas-Boas was disappointed that a number of deals fell through last year, having hoped to sign Joao Moutinho, Oscar and Leandro Daimao. The Portuguese is happy at Spurs and appreciates the opportunity he was given, but nevertheless wants to feel that the club are being more decisive in the transfer market, not least to show Bale they are ambitious.

Spurs are adamant that Bale is not for sale at any price this summer and Villas-Boas is desperate for the 23-year-old to remain. The head coach is also keen to challenge for trophies next season.

Villas-Boas has two more years left on his contract and is not agitating to leave. However, according to sources in France and Portugal, PSG are extremely interested in hiring him having missed out on Mourinho and – for now – Arsène Wenger.

French is among the languages spoken by Villas-Boas while PSG’s financial muscle and the desire of the club’s Qatari’s owners to mount a serious challenge to win the Champions League would be tempting for any coach.

Back