• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB - Making Tottenham His Own

They are different types of striker though. You don't want to give Defoe any credit do you? Not a fan then? :lol:

Er, no i'm not a fan, but that's irrelevant when we're discussing AVB's choices.

This is not about giving Defoe any credit, this is a thread talking about AVB. Swapping Adebayor for Defoe is not an inspired substitution. It's the most obvious substitution there is late in the game when you need a goal. The swap to 4-3-3 set up the base for our success. City were unable to alter their own tactical set up to counter it.

The move to 4-3-3 was an inspired choice by AVB. The substitution of Ade for Defoe is clearly an obvious one, Who else are we going to bring on when we want a goal?

Er, no i'm not a fan, but that's irrelevant when we're discussing AVB's choices.

This is not about giving Defoe any credit, this is a thread talking about AVB. Swapping Adebayor for Defoe is not an inspired substitution. It's the most obvious substitution there is late in the game when you need a goal. The swap to 4-3-3 set up the base for our success. City were unable to alter their own tactical set up to counter it.

The move to 4-3-3 was an inspired choice by AVB. The substitution of Ade for Defoe is clearly an obvious one, Who else are we going to bring on when we want a goal?

Even though it wasn't working until Defoe came on too?

They are different types of striker though. You don't want to give Defoe any credit do you? Not a fan then? :lol:

I am not a Defoe fan by any means but his second goal killed them, we need another 4 from him between now and the end of the season.

Do you give AVB any credit for the result yesterday?

Course I do. To be successful requires many things, and the coach should always get credit when the team wins. I didn't think he started with the right team, but he certainly corrected it and his tactical changes won us the match so he should get most of the credit for yesterdays result.

As soon as Huddlestone popped a couple of balls over the top -one of which Bale was flagged incorrectly for - the Emirates Marketing Project defenders began to sit a little deeper to cut down the space in behind.
Yes Defoe was a key part of us looking better, because he likes to run in behind. But from the moment Huddlestone began knocking the ball long it made a difference. It's psychological. it was the same with Bale coming right, it gave Clichy more to think about and stopped him from getting forward. When we have Parker/Dembele there is never the threat in behind, not because we don't have the runners, but because we don't play the ball in there quickly and accurately enough.

Football is also about the psychological/mental aspect, not just the physical. If yesterday's game was a chess match, then AVB was Magnus Carlsen, positioning for a winning end game. I wasn't impressed with the starting line up...but credit to AVB he read the game and made the right changes..

I think we need to get in a few players to really kick on still.

SELL: Gomes (3m), Bentley (2m), Livermore (4m), Ekotto (8m), Ade (5m), Dempsey (3m), Parker (3m)
TOTAL = 28m

BUY: Old Goalkeepr (FREE), Old Centre Back (FREE), Left Back (8m), Defensive Midfielder (6m), Midfielder (20m), Winger (5m), Striker (15m), Young Striker (5m)
TOTAL = 59m

That's a huge outlay but stll possible if we get champions league, though doubtful. That would leave us with the following

----------------Lloris-------
Walker--Kaboul--Vertonghen--NEW LB
----------Sandro--Dembele------
Lennon---------Bale----------Siggurdsson
------------NEW STRIKER

------------------NEW GK
Naughton--Dawson--Caulker--Rose
------------NEW DM--NEW MF
NEW WINGER----Holtby--Townsend
----------------Defoe----------------

Plus NEW CB, THudd, NEW STRIKER

- You could argue Rose is ready and promote Fryers
- You could argue we don't need an older CB if we have a decent young CB who could be promoted if need be
- You could argue we don't need a new winger if we want to play with inside wingers (Sigg, Holtby, Dempsey etc)
- You could say we don't need a young striker as 3rd choice if someone we have can step up

But either way, we're not that far off. Clear out all the dead wood (finally) and get some quality players and we are strong!!!! Title contender strong I believe!

But it was only successful once Defoe came on. The Holtby and Huddlestone subs made little impact until Defoe came on, and we actually stopped having so much possession after their substitutions. Defoe came on and space started to open up. I would like to know if it was tactical or not, because it was certainly inspired!

Not true. Hotlby and Hudd helped us win the midfield battle, it was Defoe's introduction that gave us a realistic attacking intent

Before we signed Siggurdsson he normally played just behind the striker, he exceled in that position so we bought him. Playing him on the flank means we are not getting the best out of him

Not true. Hotlby and Hudd helped us win the midfield battle, it was Defoe's introduction that gave us a realistic attacking intent

I don't think I agree with that. We never looked like scoring until our first goal which was on the 75th minute. The midfield subs were made on the 60th minute and City dominated possession in the second half I think. Our second and third goals were great counter attacking goals.

I think we need to get in a few players to really kick on still.

SELL: Gomes (3m), Bentley (2m), Livermore (4m), Ekotto (8m), Ade (5m), Dempsey (3m), Parker (3m)
TOTAL = 28m

BUY: Old Goalkeepr (FREE), Old Centre Back (FREE), Left Back (8m), Defensive Midfielder (6m), Midfielder (20m), Winger (5m), Striker (15m), Young Striker (5m)
TOTAL = 59m

We're not going to be anywhere near that busy in the summer. Do you not know how long it takes Levy to conclude just 1 deal?!?

Think your valuations are pretty optimistic as well - Bentley isnt playing that much for Blackburn so we'd probably have to give him away (only has 1 year left anyway doesnt he?), Parker turns 33 this year so is no way going to go for £3m, Livermore is not worth £4m either and I would say about £6m for Benny rather than £8m. Also, AVB has siad we'll only have 4 CBs next year so we wont be signing another and cant believe that we'd sign 2 CFs and a winger this summer, particuarly if we're going 4-3-3

I would much prefer we have a quieter summer - sell Ade, release Gallas, maybe sell Thudd and sign a CM, CF and versatile forward

We're not going to be anywhere near that busy in the summer. Do you not know how long it takes Levy to conclude just 1 deal?!?

Think your valuations are pretty optimistic as well - Bentley isnt playing that much for Blackburn so we'd probably have to give him away (only has 1 year left anyway doesnt he?), Parker turns 33 this year so is no way going to go for £3m, Livermore is not worth £4m either and I would say about £6m for Benny rather than £8m. Also, AVB has siad we'll only have 4 CBs next year so we wont be signing another and cant believe that we'd sign 2 CFs and a winger this summer, particuarly if we're going 4-3-3

I would much prefer we have a quieter summer - sell Ade, release Gallas, maybe sell Thudd and sign a CM, CF and versatile forward

I agree. Quality is needed in the summer, not quantity. We have a good squad and we might have Townsend and Rose returning to the squad already. We don't really need squad players, we need players that improve our starting 11. I would be happy with a striker a midfielder and, if Ekotto leaves, a left back. Sprinkle in a couple of cheapish young players and we're sorted.

Before we signed Siggurdsson he normally played just behind the striker, he exceled in that position so we bought him. Playing him on the flank means we are not getting the best out of him

While he has shown an eye for goal coming in off the wing I would have to agree with this. I wonder if the future is Holtby/Sig primarily used in central positions in a midfield 3, with Bale high on the right and another wide forward cutting in from the left. Lennon does not pose enough of a goal threat to play in such a system regularly but would be an excellent option for the squad. It all depends on who is available in the summer I guess.

Don't agree with selling Thudd. 2 strikers top of the list IMO.

For me, one mutts nuts striker and demigod midfielder should do it. We should keep Tom and let Parker go. Loan out Carroll to a PL team and bring back Rose and Townsend.

I say sell

Dempsey
Ade
Parker and BAE

Bring in

A new ST

a versatile forward in the mould of Mata, Silva, Carzorla

A play making CM

And a new young GK.

That should give us a bit more balance on the bench aswell as on the pitch.

Lloris > new GK

Walker > Naughton
Kaboul > Dawson
Verts > Caulker
New LB > Danny Rose

Sandro > THudd
Dembele > Holtby
New CM > Carroll

Lennon > Townsend
New St > Defoe
Bale > Versatile forward

It may seem like a lot of first teamers coming in but this current team is no where near good enough to be playing the likes of Barca, Real and Bayern in the Champions league.

How old are you? You must have a short memory if you believe that, and it's very disrespectful to many good coaches we have had who started well also. To say that AVB has given us a mentality after less than a season in charge is optimistic to the extreme.

Why are people so extreme in their views? I don't get it. Win five in a row and we are the best team in the world and we've finally overcome the losing mentality we've had for the last few decades even though we have actually placed well in the Premiership for a good few seasons now. Do people simply not appreciate this? We lose five in a row and it is a disaster and the old Spurs are back which is another ridiculous extreme viewpoint.

People need to get a perspective and a grip I think. If we finish top four this season it doesn't mean AVB is a messiah, but if we finish out of the top four it doesn't mean he is a very naughty boy! It's one season, with a largely inherited team and an amazing Gareth Bale. Let us enjoy that, and not set unrealistic expectations for a coach who needs at least three seasons in charge before he can be judged for good or bad.

Aside from times under Burky, name me another manager we have had who instilled a consistent, winning mentality? Your point on his length of tenure is taken, and perhaps it is hasty to say we have a winning mentality for good, but we certainly have developed a greater ability not to be beaten when going behind than we have for many years.

Nope, not here. I don't slag off the team for losing a couple of games. You can direct that elsewhere.

It's funny you know Old Bill, and a bit of a shame for you as you'd have liked the following chappy...there was a postee on here called The Moonlight Knight. You and he are almost like brother seperated at birth (if you weren't Dutch I'd be inclined to ask of you were related :lol:) and these are precisely the sorts of things he said.

I agreed with some of them, and I agree with some of what you've said. But this is not a 'largely inherited' team. He has had to do a lot of hard work in a very short relative amount of time, not to mention deal with a shift in how our play is conducted via losing the one player he himself tried to sign for Chelski last Summer!

Of course he needs time and of course we need patience. I have both. I like him a lot. Even if we don't make the CL this season, I will always be happy with a man like AVB in charge.

!

I say sell

Dempsey
Ade
Parker and BAE

Bring in

A new ST

a versatile forward in the mould of Mata, Silva, Carzorla

A play making CM

And a new young GK.

That should give us a bit more balance on the bench aswell as on the pitch.

Lloris > new GK

Walker > Naughton
Kaboul > Dawson
Verts > Caulker
New LB > Danny Rose

Sandro > THudd
Dembele > Holtby
New CM > Carroll

Lennon > Townsend
New St > Defoe
Bale > Versatile forward

It may seem like a lot of first teamers coming in but this current team is no where near good enough to be playing the likes of Barca, Real and Bayern in the Champions league.

Thats 2 people that want to sell Dempsey in the last couple of posts ! The man has scored 3 goals against the top 2 teams in the league !

Back