• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

You've ignored the words 'which is going on' and 'could' my friend. I believe they will come to fruition.
I didn't say they had. I'm surprised, to be fair, that you missed the inflection and meaning.
BTW there are some (including my old friend above) who deny anything much is happening.

Absolutely, it's still a work in progress. That much, I pointed out as well. I am, however, guilty of overlooking the 'could', so for that, I apologize. Still, think burdening AVB with more expectations than those we already have is a bit dangerous, given our glorious past under-achievement.

And I do realise that some people still don't accept that we're progressing into AVB's (improved) strategic plans. It's why I tend to stay out of this thread, because it's unlikely you'll change anyone's mind (regarding AVB, because they've already decided, as you yourself have pointed out), so seeing all those well-crafted posts end up against a metaphorical brick wall is pointlessly frustrating. Understandable, given the emotion over Redknapp's departure, but frustrating nonetheless.

And skyfarer, brilliant post mate.

edit; brilliant posts. I see you've made another great one.

Last edited:
Some good stuff here re tactics and such.

I can't wait for AVB to become a TV pundit, it'd make a refreshing change from the 'I speak in platitudes' phalanx.

Btw, thanks for all the nice words guys :)

I haven't been on here because I haven't had consistent access to the internet for the last few months! Moved halfway cross the world and wasn't able to watch much of my beloved Spurs, unfortunately. I've only seen parts of our earlier games and the last 5/6 in full (this is probably why I'm fairly optimistic about AVB - I've been mainly watching our recent improvement haha). I have finally gotten internet this week though - just in time to monitor the TW with much interest.

Also I am not a 'he' ;)

:eek:

shaaaaame on us, such a male driven forum, the assumption went straight that you was a guy

I haven't been on here because I haven't had consistent access to the internet for the last few months! Moved halfway cross the world and wasn't able to watch much of my beloved Spurs, unfortunately. I've only seen parts of our earlier games and the last 5/6 in full (this is probably why I'm fairly optimistic about AVB - I've been mainly watching our recent improvement haha). I have finally gotten internet this week though - just in time to monitor the TW with much interest.

Also I am not a 'he' ;)

32938461.jpg

To give another viewpoint on the AVB discussion (or circle jerk depending on how you view it), I decided to look at the players who have made their full Spurs Premier League debuts this season. No need to call me a football nerd, I'm well aware that I am one.

In total we've played 21 league games this season, 11 players per match that's 231 starting positions that have been up for grabs.

Looking at whoscore.com, some of the appearance stats (starting games) from this season:

Vertonghen: 19
Dembele: 12
Dempsey: 12
Caulker: 11
Lloris: 11

All of the above have started more than 50% of the league matches this season. In addition to that Naughton has started 7 games and Sig has started 6.

That's a total of 78 of the available starting positions this season taken up by players who made their full Spurs PL debuts this season. That's almost exactly one third. That means that on average one third of the starting players in our games this season had never before started a PL game for us before this season. That to me is a considerable change, although I must admit I thought the number would be slightly higher when I started.

Considering such changes, not only to the squad, but also in the starting line-ups i think there would always be some varying performance levels, especially when we had also changed our manager and lost some key players in the summer. Our results have been very good taking this into consideration and our performances have been improving I think. I've said for a long time that I liked the view that the first 6 months we would kinda just have to get out of the way and from then on we could start talking about how AVB was doing as he would then have had some chance to form the team the way he wanted.

Finally just a quick note, AVB is obviously not the only one deserving credit here. I ignored Ade as he was with us last season while I included Caulker and Naughton who have been our players for some years, but not actually been around for many games and started no PL games before. Credit for both bringing them in and bringing them to the level they are at of course must go to others than AVB.

I would like to see similar numbers for other teams, and even better similar numbers for us and other teams in previous seasons compared to how the teams have done compared to their previous years to see if there is some correlation between number of new players starting games and results in the league, but I'm not going to be the person putting any of that together :)

I hope AVB is able to convince Levy that NOW is the time to take the plunge on a big signing and challenge for trophies this season.

i recall the year after our CL adventure we didn't invest much in improving the team, and last season when we were 3rd and arsenal and chelsea much weaker, we could have cemented champions league places but didn't because we were looking for cheap buys like nelsen and saha.

A marquee signing like Damiao in Jan would be something we can and should go for.

MOURINHO PAYING COMPLIMENTS TO AVB :)

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4728122/Jose-Mourinho-world-exclusive.html

Mourinho is also backing former assistant Andre Villas-Boas to qualify for the Champions League this term.

He continued: “Tottenham has a fantastic squad, some brilliant players — some of the best in the Premier League.
“And now they have found consistency in their performances.
“I don’t think they can be Champions, not this season but they will be top four for sure, top three maybe.” \o/

Also I am not a 'he' ;)

Welcome back.
Fantastic posts.

Absolutely, it's still a work in progress. That much, I pointed out as well. I am, however, guilty of overlooking the 'could', so for that, I apologize. Still, think burdening AVB with more expectations than those we already have is a bit dangerous, given our glorious past under-achievement.

And I do realise that some people still don't accept that we're progressing into AVB's (improved) strategic plans. It's why I tend to stay out of this thread, because it's unlikely you'll change anyone's mind (regarding AVB, because they've already decided, as you yourself have pointed out), so seeing all those well-crafted posts end up against a metaphorical brick wall is pointlessly frustrating. Understandable, given the emotion over Redknapp's departure, but frustrating nonetheless.

And skyfarer, brilliant post mate.

edit; brilliant posts. I see you've made another great one.

Sadly I understand mate. I enjoy the conversation with some, but there are always others who simply want to 'block' as opposed to discuss. I need to take on board that there will never be a 'discussion' in such cases.

But don't stay out too long mate, I think your posts are a breath of fresh air...

Also I am not a 'he' ;)

You should NEVER have dropped that line in. :lol:

Down, DHSF, down.

Some good stuff here re tactics and such.

I can't wait for AVB to become a TV pundit, it'd make a refreshing change from the 'I speak in platitudes' phalanx.

He's clearly knowedgeable, but he uses 100 words when 10 would do and his voice would no doubt irriate some people.

Also I am not a 'he' ;)

Good posts Skyfarer

Whats your name?

Back