• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Lovely touch getting the whole training and medical staff out there with him making the point it's a team not just the manager behind the award.

Alo speaks volumes about how this young guy, who screwed up at Chelsea after falling out with key members of the playing start, has learnt to keep the men on his team sweet. Much harder for players to stand against the boss if the whole coaching team stand shoulder to shoulder with him. Anyway, the guy seems to making all the right moves to keep the players onside anyway.

The guys been very impressive so far, and this is no start of season honeymoon this is over halfway through the year. COYS!

Not really surprised to note that only Redknapp(3), Hoddle(2) and Jol(1) have won this award with Spurs previously.
Still a long way to go for AVB to equal and overtake Redknapp's 3 awards. But considering all the pressure he was under, AVB deserves full credit for his achievements so far. Well done AVB !=D>
He'll do it this year for sure, this season maybe.

I am really pleased AVB has achieved this award, and imo, is testament to his willingness to be pragmatic, which I doubted when he first started. The thing is we are halfway through the season, things can change and the same media praising him now will be slating him in 5 games time if he loses. Tomorrow is a potential banana skin and carries with it so much baggage. I can see the headlines now if we lose, especially HR's media friends. As a Spurs fan I am so used to false dawns I refuse to let myself be taken in yet. I will judge him at the end of the season. At the moment AVB is exceeding my expectations which makes me happy.

I recognise Redknapp did well in the main for us but comments such as only a "dope" could fail at Chelsea sum up why I dislike him, he can't resist having a dig at others- this time AVB, when he started at Spurs it was Ramos. He does it in a sort of "cheeky chappie way" people laugh it off but it is unnecessary and classless tbh. I hope we stuff QPR tomorrow almost dislike them as much as ARSE and chelsea

I am really pleased AVB has achieved this award, and imo, is testament to his willingness to be pragmatic, which I doubted when he first started. The thing is we are halfway through the season, things can change and the same media praising him now will be slating him in 5 games time if he loses. Tomorrow is a potential banana skin and carries with it so much baggage. I can see the headlines now if we lose, especially HR's media friends. As a Spurs fan I am so used to false dawns I refuse to let myself be taken in yet. I will judge him at the end of the season. At the moment AVB is exceeding my expectations which makes me happy.

I recognise Redknapp did well in the main for us but comments such as only a "dope" could fail at Chelsea sum up why I dislike him, he can't resist having a dig at others- this time AVB, when he started at Spurs it was Ramos. He does it in a sort of "cheeky chappie way" people laugh it off but it is unnecessary and classless tbh. I hope we stuff QPR tomorrow almost dislike them as much as ARSE and chelsea

Funny you should bring up that dope comment, for a start it isn't untrue and was what everyone was saying on here about avb at Chelsea. But also they were asking him about Rafa and Chelsea on the day his small club were playing them. It was as much about shifting the focus/pressure away from his team and on to them. You know... "Well we've got no chance against them". He also listed players not there while avb was, it was more of a future opinion - as in "well they'll be up there at the end of season as only dope could fail" - and by fail he means in the relegation zone as his club are. But hey, why think about the context when you can have a dig at Harry?

As for AVB being classy, today he made a comment about having to have access to a club like that. Is that a dig at HR, saying he isn't good enough to be there? It was in response to being asked about the dope comment, so much more of a direct (and disrespectful) hit than any hr comment. Also it implies we are a smaller club, he was good enough for us but not Chelsea. And to be honest I don't care about these comments, I'm just highlighting how some people look for certain things in certain people, while ignore it in others.

To me AVB and HR are both nice respectable people and not half as bad as the top managers like fergie, wenger, mourinho, Rafa etc in terms of digs at other ppl in the game.

And well done to AVB for manager of the month, it was looking a rather poor December at one point, but 2 really good wins at the end swung it.

Hopefully this will boost his confidence as he has taken a hammering for 18 months in England.

Funny you should bring up that dope comment, for a start it isn't untrue and was what everyone was saying on here about avb at Chelsea. But also they were asking him about Rafa and Chelsea on the day his small club were playing them. It was as much about shifting the focus/pressure away from his team and on to them. You know... "Well we've got no chance against them". He also listed players not there while avb was, it was more of a future opinion - as in "well they'll be up there at the end of season as only dope could fail" - and by fail he means in the relegation zone as his club are. But hey, why think about the context when you can have a dig at Harry?
As for AVB being classy, today he made a comment about having to have access to a club like that. Is that a dig at HR, saying he isn't good enough to be there? It was in response to being asked about the dope comment, so much more of a direct (and disrespectful) hit than any hr comment. Also it implies we are a smaller club, he was good enough for us but not Chelsea. And to be honest I don't care about these comments, I'm just highlighting how some people look for certain things in certain people, while ignore it in others.

To me AVB and HR are both nice respectable people and not half as bad as the top managers like fergie, wenger, mourinho, Rafa etc in terms of digs at other ppl in the game.

Naming players who were not in the team when AVB was there does not necessarily mean it was not aimed at AVB. After all your sucessor at the club you managed last year failed as a manager at the club where you say any manager would be a "dope" to fail at? A little too convenient there. HR is a master of the sly dig. Passes it off as Harry the cheeky chappie.

The context as far I'm concerned is that he has done it before for example when he took over from Ramos, and kept reminding the media that his predesessor had only managed 2 points from 8 games and he had bought Pav and Bent who couldn't play together. Then of course when AVB took over he made the point about "Dossier " managers baffling brains. AVB only made the "access to club" comment in response to Harry's. I accept HR did well for us but your comment that he is a nice, respectable person is surely said with your tongue firmly planted in your cheek. Any way this is the AVB thread

Naming players who were not in the team when AVB was there does not necessarily mean it was not aimed at AVB. After all your sucessor at the club you managed last year failed as a manager at the club where you say any manager would be a "dope" to fail at? A little too convenient there. HR is a master of the sly dig. Passes it off as Harry the cheeky chappie.

The context as far I'm concerned is that he has done it before for example when he took over from Ramos, and kept reminding the media that his predesessor had only managed 2 points from 8 games and he had bought Pav and Bent who couldn't play together. Then of course when AVB took over he made the point about "Dossier " managers baffling brains. AVB only made the "access to club" comment in response to Harry's. I accept HR did well for us but your comment that he is a nice, respectable person is surely said with your tongue firmly planted in someone's arse. Any way this is the AVB thread

Fixed it for you

As you admit, it was in direct response to a question asked of him by a reporter about the "dope" comment. In the circumstances, AVB answered the question incredibly skilfully and diplomatically. It's only the media who have put the having-a-pop-at-Harry spin on it.

Replies in bold...

Funny you should bring up that dope comment, for a start it isn't untrue and was what everyone was saying on here about avb at Chelsea.

Not true. Stop speaking for others. I repeatedly said the guy was being shat on by his paymasters who had obviously asked him to come and do some dorty work but then suddenly 'disappeared' and left him naked in the spotlight when the moment came to support him. Disgusting behaviour and a reason why Abramovich and Gourlay (Kenyon before him) are total scum!!!!

But also they were asking him about Rafa and Chelsea on the day his small club were playing them. It was as much about shifting the focus/pressure away from his team and on to them.

I agree with you 100%. I think the whole 'aimed at AVB' comment is not true whatsoever.

You know... "Well we've got no chance against them". He also listed players not there while avb was, it was more of a future opinion - as in "well they'll be up there at the end of season as only dope could fail" - and by fail he means in the relegation zone as his club are. But hey, why think about the context when you can have a dig at Harry?

As for AVB being classy, today he made a comment about having to have access to a club like that. Is that a dig at HR, saying he isn't good enough to be there? It was in response to being asked about the dope comment, so much more of a direct (and disrespectful) hit than any hr comment.

I know what you're trying to say other than the 'disrespectful'...he is absolutely right to say that.

Also it implies we are a smaller club, he was good enough for us but not Chelsea.

I have no idea how you conjure that thought from those comments. Baffling.

And to be honest I don't care about these comments, I'm just highlighting how some people look for certain things in certain people, while ignore it in others.

I've met a couple of those you mention, and I don't care what anyone says, SAF is a fine man. He might have his moments, but he is the real deal who has time for all creatures great and small, the big shots and the 'little people'...in fact, in my experience, he has more time for the supporters a lot of the time than the suits. Similarly, I hear from friends that Wenger is a very decent man too.

The context as far I'm concerned is that he has done it before for example when he took over from Ramos, and kept reminding the media that his predesessor had only managed 2 points from 8 games and he had bought Pav and Bent who couldn't play together. Then of course when AVB took over he made the point about "Dossier " managers baffling brains. AVB only made the "access to club" comment in response to Harry's. I accept HR did well for us but your comment that he is a nice, respectable person is surely said with your tongue firmly planted in your cheek. Any way this is the AVB thread

I genuinly don't think the Chelski comment was to do with AVB.
His 'flimflam baffles...' comment was a rare moment of cover-dropped by the 'congenial one' and as such, I was surprised. Yes, he took advantage of the Ramos situation to give himself insurance against failure. He is the master of it.

After being fast tracked by his great mentor Carlo Ancelotti, McEachran's career had seemed to stall suddenly with a loan at Swansea under Brendan Rodgers – a fellow paid-up subscriber to the Barcelona school of football – ending in unexpected disappointment. "It was one of those things in life which just didn't work out," he says. Pressed on what he learned in south Wales, the reply is: "Nothing." A question about his opinion of the current Liverpool manager provokes an uncharacteristically coy "I'll pass on that".

André Villas-Boas, Ancelotti's successor, was equally mesmerised by McEachran's knack of manipulating a football, but noting that, stripped down, the still skinny teenager looked nothing like a professional athlete he commented that all the boy's pace and power was contained in his brain. Villas-Boas meant it as a compliment but the Portuguese also believed the prodigy needed to toughen up on loan and dispatched him to Swansea. "I got on with AVB," says McEachran. "AVB was a great coach and a great manager and I'm not surprised to see him doing very well at Tottenham."

Well done AVB, I hope he shows the award in front of the fans, and Harry!
I'm feeling really confident we can push on for the rest of this season.

Andre Villas-Boas admits he is using his Tottenham reign as an opportunity to right the wrongs of his now infamous stint at Chelsea.
The Portuguese tactician was appointed at Stamford Bridge in the summer of 2011 as the most highly-rated young coach in Europe - having shone at Porto.
He was, however, to last just nine months before being shown the door by an unforgiving Roman Abramovich.
Villas-Boas wasted little time in returning to the Premier League when invited back by Spurs, and he feels he is better prepared to face the challenges of life in England second time around.
He told France Football: "What we are doing at Tottenham with my staff is a reaction to Chelsea, an echo to the mistakes we made.
"Not everything we did there was wrong, but we could have done better. It has not affected the way I am viewing football, but I admit I thought a lot about it.
"I would never have gone to Chelsea if I was not absolutely convinced that I could have been a success there."
"I should have been given an opportunity to go on, but I am aware that, considering the results, change is the only way to make an impact.
Meanwhile, Villas-Boas has taken the opportunity to explain his handling of French goalkeeper Hugo Lloris, an international performer and captain of his country who has had to be patient in his efforts to earn a starting berth.
He added: "The arrival of Hugo Lloris was a difficult situation. We didn't want to be unfair. The ones who play have to deserve it with their performances.
"When Hugo arrived, he did so with an eye on the future. His qualities were never questioned, but Brad (Friedel) was doing very well at that time.
"It didn't mean that I doubted Hugo, I just wanted him to stand out on merit, not on reputation.
"It was difficult for Hugo. He is a famous and well respected player. He is the best of the French keepers. It was difficult for him to accept and I admit that it may have made him impatient at times."

Back