• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

I would think if Real call he'll be off, no doubt. You only get that call once in your life.

In saying that he is nowhere near ready for that job and taking a chance on an up and coming is not how Real work. I think he'll be here for a few more years.

Not necessarily.

You have to remember just how young AVB is. Plenty of time to learn his trade properly and get another chance.

If he was politely to turn down the opportunity now, in his early 30's, but then went on to have a stellar career in the ensuing years, it's perfectly possible (if not highly likely) that Madrid would be back in for him at some point when he's more ready and able to handle such a job - especially since presidents at Madrid come and go.

Not necessarily.

You have to remember just how young AVB is. Plenty of time to learn his trade properly and get another chance.

If he was politely to turn down the opportunity now, in his early 30's, but then went on to have a stellar career in the ensuing years, it's perfectly possible (if not highly likely) that Madrid would be back in for him at some point when he's more ready and able to handle such a job - especially since presidents at Madrid come and go.

All very plausible yes, but who's to say there won't be better candiates when he's more mature? He could get another chance, or he might not.

One tour of the Bernabeau, promise of sizeable funds and a lucrative contract and he, like most ambitious and talented managers in all likelihood would be gone. And good luck to him if he did...

All very plausible yes, but who's to say there won't be better candiates when he's more mature? He could get another chance, or he might not.

One tour of the Bernabeau, promise of sizeable funds and a lucrative contract and he, like most ambitious and talented managers in all likelihood would be gone. And good luck to him if he did...

That's a different argument altogether.

Would he go? Yes. Probably.

Should he go? Almost certainly not.

He's not ready for that job. Not even close to being so.

Is it my imagination or are our two speedy wingers actually playing how some wanted them to and some said wouldn't work? Attacking the opposition from both flanks, coming in centrally, switching when needed?

I feel both Bale and Azza are starting to torment more and more as they can and I hope Azza take note of the goal yesterday and has that bit mroe confidence to go it alone (a very Balesque goal).

Perhaps having two central players like Sandro and Dembele gives them more of a license to roam? Perhaps not having Modric has some positives?

Walker looks less inclined to to a Glen Johnson and tread all over Azza's toes, perhaps this has worked in our favour too?

Could have had it's own thread but I'm putting this change on AVB's tactics.

100%.
I noticed from the first few games that he had each of them attacking the channels with more purpose and also not just bombing off every single time, but being a little smarter with when, and where, they go.
I think they, and the side, have had to learn a new way without Luka...and now it's starting to click very nicely...

Playing away from home, the opposition usually commits players further forward, giving us more time and space on the ball in the opposition half. In Adebayor, Defoe, Bale, Lennon, Dembele and Sandro, we have six fast and dynamic players who can cause a lot of damage in that space. One thing that we are also doing effectively is pressing the opposition off the ball for 90 minutes, giving us more and more of these opportunities in space to launch attacks. Harry had us pressing the opposition a lot last season, but as we have replaced Van Der Vaart, Modric and Parker from last season's starting line-up with Dembele, Sandro and Dempsey/Defoe, we have faster players with more stamina in the side, allowing us to play like this for larger portions of the game. Our away form has been very good all season. I think our highest ever number of points away from home in the Premier League is only something like 27/28 and we're already on 18. At home though, things a different story, as a lot of teams are playing far deeper. When you finish in the top 5 most seasons, that means that there are usually 15 teams in the league worse than you who will consider a point away from home against you to be a good result, so the same pressing game won't be as effective.

The team not clicking, players adapting to a new style etc has never been one of my criticisms of AVB as that sort of thing was always going to take time. What has continually irritated me throughout the season is poor tactical decisions in terms of team selection and substitutions.

By the way, Townsend tweeted that he's had the flu so that's why he wasn't on the bench yesterday - for those that questioned having Livermore there instead.

Some media are already linking AVB to Real Madrid if and when Mourinho leaves. Hard to see him reject Real if they do come for him. Just hope we can keep him atleast for 3 years. Afterall, we don't keep any managers for more than 3 years !

There is an election this summer at Madrid, potential presidents are going to promise "big" names when Jose leaves, AVB has potential but has done nothing yet to warrant a call from Madrid.

There is an election this summer at Madrid, potential presidents are going to promise "big" names when Jose leaves, AVB has potential but has done nothing yet to warrant a call from Madrid.

I agree. Not gonna happen, not the Madrid kind of hiring I think and I would imagine that if they do get rid of Mourinho they won't be looking to bring in one of his proteges after all of the hubbub that's surrounded Mourinho whilst there.

One thing that impresses me is we are far more clinical this season than in previous seasons. How many games did we play in recent years where we'd batter teams and we wouldn't win because of a great performance by a keeper or poor finishing from us?

I agree. Not gonna happen, not the Madrid kind of hiring I think and I would imagine that if they do get rid of Mourinho they won't be looking to bring in one of his proteges after all of the hubbub that's surrounded Mourinho whilst there.

Who would be the likely candidates? Jurgen Klopp? Arsene Wenger? Roberto Mancini?

I'm struggling to think of other names but there must be many more candidates than those three. I picked those three because they have each achieved success in their national league and have had good experience in Europe. AVB would fit in to those categories too so obviously he is a potential but hopefully it won't be him. I would like to think that AVB is a long term manager now that he is with us, not that that was the way that it appeared when he left Porto for Chelsea.

Who would be the likely candidates? Jurgen Klopp? Arsene Wenger? Roberto Mancini?

I'm struggling to think of other names but there must be many more candidates than those three. I picked those three because they have each achieved success in their national league and have had good experience in Europe. AVB would fit in to those categories too so obviously he is a potential but hopefully it won't be him. I would like to think that AVB is a long term manager now that he is with us, not that that was the way that it appeared when he left Porto for Chelsea.

No way they would go for Mancini with his European record.

Klopp is a possibility, but they could also go back to someone they already had.

No chance Mancini, average manager.

Klopp is a good shout.

Maybe Simeone.

Bale - Sandro - Dembele - Lennon

How do you guys think AVB should improve on that midfield quartet?

Personally I am just concerned as to who comes on when any of those players are injured

Last edited:
Oh, and I don't see Madrid going for AVB any time soon, nor do I see him wanting a job like that. The whole time with us, and even at Chelsea, he's always talked about working on a "project". The thing that attracted him to the job here is the fact that Levy wanted him to oversee a long term transformational strategy as we moved to a new training ground and stadium, whilst establishing ourselves as a Champions League club. Madrid is the finished article. There's no legacy to be left there. They are all about the short term. Not the sort of job he'd want with his reputation already having taken a battering at a similar modelled club in Chelsea.

Back