• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

"taking control"....those are the same people being brainwashed by Opta stats. Our eyes tell us we created very little and the goalie made 1 save the whole game in stoppage time but OPTA says 22 shots (doesn't even go into detail about off target, long range etc etc) and we believe Opta over our eyes.

They are stats are the same when you bring it down to shots on target tbh.
We had 22 shots they had 4, thats 5.5 times more shots.
We have 5 on target they had 1, thats 5 times more shots on target.

Funny thing is didnt Harry makes a similiar sub last season against villa and WE WERE DOWN TO TEN MEN - wasnt he vilified for it?

People on here are gonna say - oh DHSF you dont like AVB or oh youre a Harry lover or whatever but that simply isnt the case. I quite like AVB and im well past the Harry thing so its all a clean slate. Jordinho - your post makes a point that is completely unfounded. For example Sig and Dempsey I fudgein hate them I think theyre brick but I have acknowledged that their performances have improved - especially in Dempseys case. People are basing their views on the here and now and not what happened last season.

What i am utterly tinkled off about are 45 minute performances and I dont buy in to the whole 'because the other team doesnt let us'. Stoke did nothing differently in the second half today as they did in the first - we upped our game and played much better. Why the fudge did we not play to a similiar level in the first half? Giving us 45 minutes to win a game reduces our chances by 50%. Today first half was pathetic second half was much better. So if we are to acknowledge AVB for the turnaround we have also got to ask questions why the first half was utter shocking.

Bear in mind this isnt exactly jumping on the bandwagon because its happened too many fudging times. Its tactics and not players.

I knew this would come up the moment the issue of Parker for Dembele was raised...the reason Harry got slated (quite rightly too IMO) for the sub at Villa, was because Jermain Defoe was available that day on the bench and did not get onto the pitch for a game we had to win. Neither did Saha. We had two official strikers on the bench and neither came on for the last 10 minutes of a game we needed three points in. I'd have rather seen the classic 'hail Mary' and thrown one or both on, rolled the dice...

I think we can certainly agree that he sets out the first-half of matches not to concede and not give anything away. I was also frustrated today, yet we created several chances despite not upping the tempo. I think what frustrated me the most was the fact that Adebayor simply does not look 100% sharp. I think his season has been so 'stop-start' that he is sorely lacking that extra yard of anticipation. Far too many times today we saw both strikers taking up similar 'lines' with regards to positions inside the box (both on the 6 yard line for example) and I really expected greater ariel presence on the goalkeeper.

I wished AVB had got Sig involved 10 minutes earlier, as he's certainly turned a corner and looks very much like he's coming into form, I saw that Lennon was better second-half but personally would've subbed him earlier as that 'hole' was where the action was to be found for me. The only other criticism I'd have is that this was a day for 1 uptop IMHO and Dembele in the hole. There was space there, especially in the first-half. So disappointed in the result but thought the performance was OK.

I will say that I expected Mason to stamp his ref's authority on the game early. I didn't know it would be on Sandro in the 8th minute. kudos to the big man for remaining combative and on the pitch. Stoke are a horrible fudging vile side...

I knew this would come up the moment the issue of Parker for Dembele was raised...the reason Harry got slated (quite rightly too IMO) for the sub at Villa, was because Jermain Defoe was available that day on the bench and did not get onto the pitch for a game we had to win. Neither did Saha. We had two official strikers on the bench and neither came on for the last 10 minutes of a game we needed three points in. I'd have rather seen the classic 'hail Mary' and thrown one or both on, rolled the dice...

I think we can certainly agree that he sets out the first-half of matches not to concede and not give anything away. I was also frustrated today, yet we created several chances despite not upping the tempo. I think what frustrated me the most was the fact that Adebayor simply does not look 100% sharp. I think his season has been so 'stop-start' that he is sorely lacking that extra yard of anticipation. Far too many times today we saw both strikers taking up similar 'lines' with regards to positions inside the box (both on the 6 yard line for example) and I really expected greater ariel presence on the goalkeeper.

I wished AVB had got Sig involved 10 minutes earlier, as he's certainly turned a corner and looks very much like he's coming into form, I saw that Lennon was better second-half but personally would've subbed him earlier as that 'hole' was where the action was to be found for me. The only other criticism I'd have is that this was a day for 1 uptop IMHO and Dembele in the hole. There was space there, especially in the first-half. So disappointed in the result but thought the performance was OK.

I will say that I expected Mason to stamp his ref's authority on the game early. I didn't know it would be on Sandro in the 8th minute. kudos to the big man for remaining combative and on the pitch. Stoke are a horrible fudging vile side...

So you're fine with bringing Parker on rather than Townsend?

Once again, our lack of strikers is down to Levy, that isn't AVB's fault. Can't see us getting top 4 if we don't sign one in Jan.

It did happen under Redknapp and the people now defending AVB were the same people who slated Redknapp for it. The difference is we played brilliantly most weeks and then slipped up. It would make far more sense to defend someone when it isnt normal.

However, this has become standard under AVB. No one can deny that. Its the same each week and it has meant we have become boring to watch and frustrated that we arent making good use of what still is a great bunch of players - players that have so much attacking ability.

Revisionist rubbish!
In fact, when we got done at Stoke last season, the only thing Harry got slated for by me was not fudging well coating the press with what a total **** Chris Foy was, and not speaking up for the side in the face of some of the worst refereeing I have seen in over 40 years!
There are some people who cannot wait for an opportunity...you're one of them. I don't see where they joy is...there again, I don't want to.

I dont blame AVB for today. Apart for starting Dawson, who won nothing in the air and cant pass a football.

It is Levy's fault if we have no one on the bench to change the game.

He makes mistakes for sure but he does learn. His recalling Dawson is testament to that. Accusations of him being stubborn and pig headed have been way far off the mark.

So you're fine with bringing Parker on rather than Townsend?

Once again, our lack of strikers is down to Levy, that isn't AVB's fault. Can't see us getting top 4 if we don't sign one in Jan.

More to the point, do you understand the fundamental difference in the 'subbing in of Scott Parker' in the examples given in this thread?

Where would you put Townshend? How would you play him? How would you shape the team with him coming on? Who does he come on for?

Parker sitting deeper with Sandro allows Vertonghen to pile further forward...the ONLY way Townshend could be effective in a game like this, is if we can get the ball to him quickly with space ahead of him. Given how deep Stoke were sitting in the last 5-10 minutes, there was no way he would've got any room whatsoever to take on a man, and unfortunately (as evidence in the europa league against Pana) he gets dispossessed too easily. Stoke would've had him for breakfast. If anything, AVB should've called up another ressie for this one, but Townshend is all he had available?

Ever considered that he sometimes makes bad decisions? When it comes to subs, he isn't great IMO.

He subbed Dembele off with 88th minutes on his first start back against Liverpool, next game 84th minutes against fulham, next start 77th minute against Everton and last week 89th minute against Swansea.
There must be a reason he's doing it surely?

I was just trying to make a point with bringing up that point - I understood why Harry brought Parker on and I also understand why AVB brought on Parker in this game - I didnt mind both substitute and saw that tactical switch behind them. I just wanted to make a point that bringing on a defensive minded players isnt that negative a tactic AS, like you say, it allows others two or three to be even more attacking (walker and verts) than had you brought on a Townsend which effectively replaces one attacking player for another.

Its fine to make sure not to concede (its been effective as we have scored first in a ton of games) but this is stoke whilst they are difficult to break down they are not going to attack us the way a Manure or Man bricky would have - so there was no need to be as cautious as we were. Youre frustrated and like most on here they are frustrated and all this is coming out. The reason its frustrating is because its not going to stop - that type of tactic will continue which will be pretty costly come the end of the season.

I cant agree more about Stoke - I hate them and they should all be shot - I will happily shoot them. fudge shooting I will kill em with my bare hands - will give me greater satisfaction.

I was just trying to make a point with bringing up that point - I understood why Harry brought Parker on and I also understand why AVB brought on Parker in this game - I didnt mind both substitute and saw that tactical switch behind them. I just wanted to make a point that bringing on a defensive minded players isnt that negative a tactic AS, like you say, it allows others two or three to be even more attacking (walker and verts) than had you brought on a Townsend which effectively replaces one attacking player for another.

Its fine to make sure not to concede (its been effective as we have scored first in a ton of games) but this is stoke whilst they are difficult to break down they are not going to attack us the way a Manure or Man bricky would have - so there was no need to be as cautious as we were. Youre frustrated and like most on here they are frustrated and all this is coming out. The reason its frustrating is because its not going to stop - that type of tactic will continue which will be pretty costly come the end of the season.

I cant agree more about Stoke - I hate them and they should all be shot - I will happily shoot them. fudge shooting I will kill em with my bare hands - will give me greater satisfaction.

I think the biggest question of all would be IF AVB had another striker (or two!!!!!) on the bench, would he have brought them on?

That tactic has been going on for 3-4 seasons really, and it's always frustrating. Emirates Marketing Project had to rely on conning something out of the ref today in injury time at home to Reading, who aren't even as proficient at such tactics as Stoke.

More to the point, do you understand the fundamental difference in the 'subbing in of Scott Parker' in the examples given in this thread?

Where would you put Townshend? How would you play him? How would you shape the team with him coming on? Who does he come on for?

Parker sitting deeper with Sandro allows Vertonghen to pile further forward...the ONLY way Townshend could be effective in a game like this, is if we can get the ball to him quickly with space ahead of him. Given how deep Stoke were sitting in the last 5-10 minutes, there was no way he would've got any room whatsoever to take on a man, and unfortunately (as evidence in the europa league against Pana) he gets dispossessed too easily. Stoke would've had him for breakfast. If anything, AVB should've called up another ressie for this one, but Townshend is all he had available?

Can you not see why people get frustrated by some of your posts? Once again, you are doing nothing but make excuses for the manager.

I think the biggest question of all would be IF AVB had another striker (or two!!!!!) on the bench, would he have brought them on?

That tactic has been going on for 3-4 seasons really, and it's always frustrating. Emirates Marketing Project had to rely on conning something out of the ref today in injury time at home to Reading, who aren't even as proficient at such tactics as Stoke.

He did a like for like swap against Wigan even though we needed a goal and Dempsey was playing terribly. What's your excuse for that one?

He subbed Dembele off with 88th minutes on his first start back against Liverpool, next game 84th minutes against fulham, next start 77th minute against Everton and last week 89th minute against Swansea.

Your dodging the question. Has it not occurred to you that he gets things wrong on occasion? Sometimes manager get things wrong.

Winning so defend, winning so defend, winning so defend, winning so defend.

you don't understand why it wasn't brought up before but it's brought up today when we're drawing at home?

Can you not see why people get frustrated by some of your posts? Once again, you are doing nothing but make excuses for the manager.

That's just awful really. Sorry Jurgen, you're scraping the barrel in aiming a kick at me there.

Why did Harry get brought up AGAIN in an AVB thread? You need to read my posts today a little more. i said I wished he'd brought Sigurdsson on earlier.

Of course you have still failed to answer my question. Where am I making excuses for the manager? I am simply trying to answer your question and impart a possible opinion on what he was trying to do.

Is there a rank-and-file rule now that I must pile in on AVB because he didn't manage to find an answer that a few of our other managers haven't found? Sorry. I missed the memo.

He did a like for like swap against Wigan even though we needed a goal and Dempsey was playing terribly. What's your excuse for that one?

I can't remember the game other than it was one of the worst performances of the season by a country mile and I didn't deny the fact. But I'll now go and look...

EDIT; I remember now. Adebayor on for Defoe, 57th min according to the stats. Yes, I can see that being questioned, the only thing I can think is perhaps he felt he would switch up the TYPE of forward, and hoped Adebayor would hold the ball up for Sig/others to come in from midfield and finish them off that way? It didn't work obviously. I remember the entire performance being a shocker, off the back of a brick cup match. So yes, not a great day at the office. Would I give him an excuse per se? For losing the game? No. it was a bad performance.

Back