• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Wilson Odobert

Good debut. Certainly don’t look out of his depth. Great to have someone who can take players on. Looking forward to seeing more of him.
Agreed. Really promising debut. Looking forward to seeing more of him. Improves the balance of the front three quite a lot, and that's without Solanke.

I was well impressed, great start, but his final ball was a bit hit and hope, needs to be more accurate there, else he will have the same issues Johnson does.

I was well impressed, great start, but his final ball was a bit hit and hope, needs to be more accurate there, else he will have the same issues Johnson does.
Part of the difference between Odobert and Johnson is that Odobert can be hit and hope with his final ball and still be a real threat. His dribbling, ability to go both ways and combination play....

He's still raw, as should be expected at 19. Probably should look to improve in all areas. But imo showing already why we signed him and if he gets on a good trajectory this season he'll have a really good impact.

Part of the difference between Odobert and Johnson is that Odobert can be hit and hope with his final ball and still be a real threat. His dribbling, ability to go both ways and combination play....

He's still raw, as should be expected at 19. Probably should look to improve in all areas. But imo showing already why we signed him and if he gets on a good trajectory this season he'll have a really good impact.
Yeah he's not the finished article and we knew that when we bought him but given the age difference and his already much better touch, control and general technique (maybe not ball striking, but we'll see) the scope for him to progress is massive.

He was so involved in that first half and the players clearly trusted his ability to receive the ball and progress it. Something we don't see on the other side.

Hopefully the final ball will be there but even if not like you say his genuine ability to be involved in the combinational game is a vast improvement imo. We need be able to keep the ball in the final 3rd better and spread the play across the attacking third. It's what will stress and mentally fatigued defenders if we can keep them penned in and what exactly is going to happen next is mystery. That's how you break a congested backline, it's through variety and technique.

I thought he had a very good debue [ especially the first half], he seems confident in his own ability and can obviously run with ball at his feet under control. As others have said he is a different winger then any of our other players and i look forward to seeing him again. looks a very good signing.

What was most impressive was his attitude. He didn’t always skin his man, but he was eager to receive ball and give it a go. Gave his all, and noticeably tired second half.

At 19 he’s still developing. An exciting talent.
But he made a mistake! He played a horrible pass straight to an Everton player, where they should have scored. Shocking debut!

Also note, he is quite short, but from the kickoff our plan was to roll it back and then ping it high for Odobert to win the header, which he did, and then pick up the second ball, which he did.
Quite surprising for an Ange team and for a kid making his debut.
A good start for the boy.

I'm sure it is indeed something to do with that, although his Burnley contract still had a couple of years to run I believe.
So it must be that maybe the work permit has to be reset / reapplied for when the employer changes and therefore a new contract is drawn up., though I can't remember this being an issue before.
That's standard work permit procedure. It's a work permit, not a visa.

I'm glad Ange trusted him with a start. He seemed like a massive nuisance to Everton in that first half, so I'm pretty sure Ange felt vindicated in selecting him. I'm actually hoping he starts against Saudi Sportswashing Machine, too.

I'm glad Ange trusted him with a start. He seemed like a massive nuisance to Everton in that first half, so I'm pretty sure Ange felt vindicated in selecting him. I'm actually hoping he starts against Saudi Sportswashing Machine, too.

It will be interesting if the setup changes for who we play

Against Everton, they probably had to cover/adapt for both Wilson and Deki, both will try to get past their man with some regularity, even if they fail the fact that they will do it over and over means the opposition will need to provide cover, cover means space for other players like Son and Maddison or even a midfielder coming in late (Biss).

Having someone who doesn't just look at the low block and try to draw them out with a passing sequence is a huge add to the squad.

Back