• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

what has happened to the transfer section?

Re: **Official Other Games Thread, Season 2012/13**

How about when Ramos was still in charge? Keane left early and nothing was done. We all knew Berbatov was also going to go - yet waited till deadline day (as every single time) to sign Pav and Campbell.

Players like Modric and Bale got us that one CL finish - along with some good moments from Lennon and Defoe at the right times.

Pav and Crouch were bit time players who costed millions and were never at any point good enough for more than that

Both played pivotal parts in our CL qualifying year to be fair.

My only wish is that you are right. I really hope so.

Over the odds for Carrick Berba and Modric? They are great players. We then went on to spend money on terrible players after that.

They are great players but all of them were overpriced.

£18 million for a midfielder of Carrick's type, back in 2006, was well above par.

£31 million for Berbatov was likewise. Did Utd get £31 million of value? Did they, fudge!

And £35 million for Modric..........he hasn't even looked like a £15 million player thus far.

You say that we spent the money badly. And yet we have a far stronger squad now than we did before selling Carrick or before selling Berbatov.

It's debatable whether or not we have a stronger squad since selling Modric.

His link-up play and physicality are certainly better than Bent, but the gulf in class between him and say, Suarez is pretty painful. I see him miss a lot of easy chances too, though you could put that down to his age and rawness.

I'm just not into him - he's not my favored "type" of striker. I don't think our team needs pace+strength these days more than culture on the ball and vision, wit, etc. Not because we don't need the former, but because we're so lacking in the latter. And that is just killing us against the "sit deep, hold tight" teams that come to the Lane.

Granted. But he is a beast in the air so he would certainly give us an outlet and some variation. A striker who wins headers for fun for the wingers to aim at, which we don't have at the moment.

I do believe he will get better. I mean Suarez's finishing was appalling last season, look at him now.

Hoot - Redknapp took over and signed Crouch and Defoe (and Keane) - i agree these aren't players on the same level as Berbatov but we were languishing in the bottom half at the time so you have to take that in to account. eventually we managed to shift Keane but in Crouch and Defoe we had a solid pair up front - was you calling for them to be sold/replaced the summer we finished top 4? of course you weren't because at the time they were a part of a very good team and were doing the business for us.

they may not have been on Berba's level - but they helped take us further than when he was here.

same as last season when we had Adebayor up front who i believe possibly contributed more than DB ever did over one premier league campaign (stats wise at least)

Firstly, while I wasn't actively calling for them to be replaced, a team always needs to evolve and improve. If we had seen the opportunity to improve on either one of them that season, we should have taken it like a shot. In fact, we basically did, we bought VDV to replace Defoe.

But this is where I feel people are missing part of my point. I don't want young unknown strikers to replace our main strikers straight away. However, we didn't need a leftback when we bought Bale, or BAE. We didn't need a rb when we bought Walker. We didn't need a cm when we bought Huddlestone etc. We don't buy this 20 year old striker from the Lithuanian league to immediately replace Adebayor, we buy him so that in 3 years time, he's ready to be 1st choice. The same way we've built the rest of our squad.

And I'm not saying we shouldn't have signed Ade btw, especially if the player instead is some youngster. Let's not beat around the bush, Ade has been appalling this season but none of us, even those who accepted what fans of other clubs said about what he can be like, could have believed he'd put in a season like this.

How about when Ramos was still in charge? Keane left early and nothing was done. We all knew Berbatov was also going to go - yet waited till deadline day (as every single time) to sign Pav and Campbell.

Players like Modric and Bale got us that one CL finish - along with some good moments from Lennon and Defoe at the right times.

Pav and Crouch were bit time players who costed millions and were never at any point good enough for more than that

earlier on i stated that i thought the mistake was not replacing Berbatov that summer - huge fudge up. it was one season which set us back a lot, i don't think we can do anything but speculate over what actually happened - my guess is that up until the last moments of that window Levy didn't plan on selling - but Berbatov forced our hand and our lack of preparation in terms of a replacement cost us big. i think since then Levy has been fairly militant on making sure we aren't in a similar position again, contracts etc - first summer of Modric rumors - strong statement saying he wouldn't be sold - following year transfer to Real is sorted fairly early.

but back on topic of this 6 years business - for me it's one season (very costly all the same) that one season when Frazier Campbell and Pav was our strike force. from then on we have been doing ok in the striker department (Crouch/Defoe/Adebayor) and now this season we have a striker playing well below himself - we move in to the summer looking to replace him.

but we haven't been fudging this position up for 6 years straight

Both played pivotal parts in our CL qualifying year to be fair.

Crouch scored the most important goal of that season, but besides that he was, well Crouch. We were lucky that we always had a striker in good form at some point during that season. Even though Adebayor scored 17 in the league last term, The minimum he should have got was 20 when you consider the chances we created.

The 5th highest goalscorer in the PL, in his first season, at the age of 21/22, playing for a crap side. Pretty easy to see why, harder to see why not.

Last season Yakubu was the 5th highest goalscorer in the PL playing for a crap side. As was Ba in his first season. As was Adebayor.

I don't rate him because i've watched Villa games this season.

Last season Yakubu was the 5th highest goalscorer in the PL playing for a crap side. As was Ba in his first season.

I don't rate him because i've watched Villa games this season.

In what was about his 10th season at that level? Benteke showed some very accomplished touches the other night, you must have very high standards. Perhaps we could persuade Messi to abandon the sinking ship.

earlier on i stated that i thought the mistake was not replacing Berbatov that summer - huge fudge up. it was one season which set us back a lot, i don't think we can do anything but speculate over what actually happened - my guess is that up until the last moments of that window Levy didn't plan on selling - but Berbatov forced our hand and our lack of preparation in terms of a replacement cost us big. i think since then Levy has been fairly militant on making sure we aren't in a similar position again, contracts etc - first summer of Modric rumors - strong statement saying he wouldn't be sold - following year transfer to Real is sorted fairly early.

but back on topic of this 6 years business - for me it's one season (very costly all the same) that one season when Frazier Campbell and Pav was our strike force. from then on we have been doing ok in the striker department (Crouch/Defoe/Adebayor) and now this season we have a striker playing well below himself - we move in to the summer looking to replace him.

I think the striker position has been our worst area in comparison to our competitors since Berbatov left. That doesn't mean that they are bad players but for me, that is fairly obvious.

In what was about his 10th season at that level? Benteke showed some very accomplished touches the other night, you must have very high standards. Perhaps we could persuade Messi to abandon the sinking ship.

And Ba showed some very accomplished touches last season. As did Adebayor.

I don't rate him because his technical game isn't good and he takes a lot of chances to score. He's a physical beast and good in the air. He would excel at Stoke in my mind.

But this is where I feel people are missing part of my point. I don't want young unknown strikers to replace our main strikers straight away. However, we didn't need a leftback when we bought Bale, or BAE. We didn't need a rb when we bought Walker. We didn't need a cm when we bought Huddlestone etc. We don't buy this 20 year old striker from the Lithuanian league to immediately replace Adebayor, we buy him so that in 3 years time, he's ready to be 1st choice. The same way we've built the rest of our squad.

you're right, this is how we should do things - it's how Levy wants to do things but it wasn't particularly how Redknapp wanted to do things and as the club moved on from the DoF set up (a period when that was how we worked the transfer market) and back to a solitary manager, we had to work the way he wanted. i believe now we are going to go back to buying up young talent with potential to stepping up a level or two over the coming windows and hopefully forwards will be part of the agenda

I agree to an extent. But this January was the biggest fudge up IMO. We had only two strikers, one of which is streaky, the other has been dreadful and was going to miss vital games due to playing in the ACN. Then predictably, Defoe gets injured against West Brom. And it wouldn't have been a stopgap, Defoe is what 30 now? Adebayor clearly isn't the answer. And AVB just had to sit there and take it because he knows Levy gave him a chance by hiring him, but deep down, he must have been praying Levy would sign someone.

If we don't buy a striker in the summer, I really wouldn't blame Bale for handing in a transfer request.

See, we have tried. Some were tried and tested at PL and Pav was a fancy foreigner with good stats. The Berbatov/Campbell thing was a clusterfudge, but it has not been for a lack of trying that we haven't found this magical striker that will transform us into title challengers. Redknapp came in, asked for Defoe and Crouch and got them. Defoe got injured and we added Keane. In retrospect a big mistake, but we were desperate at the time. We suddenly have a lot of strikers on our books and we can't just keep adding more. We have to sell some and we don't know why that hasn't happened. Maybe we asked too much, maybe nobody wanted them, maybe they wanted to stay, maybe Redknapp wouldn't let them leave. Redknapp was far too happy with his experienced quartet to make any big pushes for a young, promising striker. Word has it we were offered Cavani at a similarly low price as Lewandowski before he went to Napoli, but Harry himself said no.

I wouldn't really call that 'trying', that is just normal transfer activity. If you told me to get the club some strikers, I could come up with a similar list, every single one of them bar one played in the PL. Pav was a panic buy and a very clear one at that. There are few examples more clear of buying due to a player's tournament performance.

I've never said this striker will turn us into title challengers. I don't even think someone like RVP could do that tbh, there are other pressing issues and the club before we could do something like that. I just want a striker who can a) get involved and b) not go half the season without scoring. Preferably someone who is youngish.

Knowing us, we'll spend most of this summer chasing Damio again, before realising that a) he doesn't want to come, b) Inter don't want to sell and c) we can't afford him before settling for Arouna Kone and declaring it a decent window.

p.s. AVB, if you're reading, I trust you. Please buy some good strikers. Cheers.

They are great players but all of them were overpriced.

£18 million for a midfielder of Carrick's type, back in 2006, was well above par.

£31 million for Berbatov was likewise. Did Utd get £31 million of value? Did they, fudge!

And £35 million for Modric..........he hasn't even looked like a £15 million player thus far.

You say that we spent the money badly. And yet we have a far stronger squad now than we did before selling Carrick or before selling Berbatov.

It's debatable whether or not we have a stronger squad since selling Modric.

I'd take all three back now (at a reduced price of course).

Spurs have to take a gamble on players that are not the full package as we cannot compete with the top table yet. Those players whose stock has fallen or has some deficiency in their game which can be worked on or compensated for, that is the market we are in. Occasionally someone comes along who ticks all the boxes and we get lucky. Say Lloris or VDV might fall into that category. And if say another box ticker comes along I can see Levy pushing the boat out and breaking our transfer record. The argument that we don't big money is beginning to ring hollow. We have serious green coming for with the TV deal and these deals are never the full amount up front anyway.

Players I'd like us to have a go for are Lukaku, Isco and Remy. With Rose and Townsend to rejoin the fold I'd be happy with that lot.

it'll be interesting to Benteke next season when opposition defences have seen more tape and worked out some new schemes

he could be Drogba, or he could be Ricketts (who? I hear the younguns ask, Michael, not Rohan), it could go either way

Back