• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

what has happened to the transfer section?

Not all of us...

But since you bring it up, what teams that you like to compare us to in the league would you say have a dedicated pure defensive midfielder in their squad at all?

The destroyer type defensive midfielder with little attacking ability is rather out of favour at the big teams it seems to me. Instead players that are more complete and that can offer something significant going forward when on the pitch seems to be the preferred squad options.

I would very much prefer a player that can cover for Sandro, but who also has enough ability on the ball to partner Sandro if need be. Thus giving us real options in midfield, not just like for like limited replacements.

Liverpool has Lucas. He's worse than Sandro going forward.

Depends if you think of Liverpool as a big team.

Disagree completely, Lucas is a very effective and good passer going forward. He's also a first choice player for them when fit, by some margin I would say. He hasn't been fully fit this season I suppose, but he's far from a pure defensive midfielder. He doesn't venture forward into the final third much, but his passing is very important to them. He's also not a backup player, or at least he wasn't when he was last fit and match fit.

Any other examples? Because even if I accepted Lucas as an example for the sake of argument "Liverpool doesn't have a better back up than Parker" is a much weaker statement than the original one.

Not Lucas' job though is it to venture forward. His role is simply to sit infront of the back four and mop up anything and give any lose balls to Gerrard, Coutinho and the players who can use it very well and he does a bloody well good job of it, I actually really really rate Lucas. Think he has been a big miss for Liverpool with his injuries and they have looked 10x better since he's come back from injury.

Disagree completely, Lucas is a very effective and good passer going forward. He's also a first choice player for them when fit, by some margin I would say. He hasn't been fully fit this season I suppose, but he's far from a pure defensive midfielder. He doesn't venture forward into the final third much, but his passing is very important to them. He's also not a backup player, or at least he wasn't when he was last fit and match fit.

Any other examples? Because even if I accepted Lucas as an example for the sake of argument "Liverpool doesn't have a better back up than Parker" is a much weaker statement than the original one.

Lucas is clearly first chice for Liverpool

I would definitely put them in the same bracket as us, Arse and chelsea

Really dont see that many/any teams have much better back-up than Parker

iBK70gFzSdeWv.jpg

Shamelessly stolen from elsewhere.

Lucas has slightly better passing accuracy, for a diminished effectiveness going forwards.

They're actually very difficult players to compare.

Last edited:
Wow, I was starting to get concerned when comparing those stats... until I got about halfway down and Sandro starts to look much better going forwards.

Hard to believe Lucas has only taken 1 shot all season and only attempted 1 cross!!

mostly similar stats above apart from clearances, interceptions where Sandro clearly excels.

That would be pretty cool, I mentioned him last summer as someone we should have looked at to give ourselves an option in central midfield.

Probably would be quite expensive after a good season at Fiorentina though so I can't really see it happen now. Was quite cheap from Villareal last summer though iirc.

Missed the boat with Villarreal last season, you never know whether we were in for these players but Valero, De Guzman and Diego Lopez went for cheap and would have improved our squad (not that I'm not happy with Lloris)

Lucas played as a BTB MF at his time with Gremio so he's definitely more than a pure defensive midfield, this has just obscured by his role in Liverpool (especially under Rogers's plan)

Not all of us...

But since you bring it up, what teams that you like to compare us to in the league would you say have a dedicated pure defensive midfielder in their squad at all?

The destroyer type defensive midfielder with little attacking ability is rather out of favour at the big teams it seems to me. Instead players that are more complete and that can offer something significant going forward when on the pitch seems to be the preferred squad options.

I would very much prefer a player that can cover for Sandro, but who also has enough ability on the ball to partner Sandro if need be. Thus giving us real options in midfield, not just like for like limited replacements.

Great point that. But completely misinterupted by people.

We seem to be the only team with purely defensive midfielder in Sandro AND purely defensive back ups in Parker and Livermore.
The closest thing united have is to that type of player is Fletcher
City have is Javi García.
Arsenal dont have anyone who can effectively do that job.
Chelsea have Mikel whenever they need him.
Liverpool have Lucas who is generally first choice.

But the rest of their midfielders can play multiple roles, they can be chopped and changed.
With us if we field Parker and Livermore, or Sandro and Parker we're generally fudged.

A former adviser to French giants Paris Saint-Germain claims the club will sign Wayne Rooney from Manchester United in the summer.

Despite United manager Sir Alex Ferguson stating recently that Rooney will not leave Old Trafford this year, the England forward continues to be linked with a switch to the mega-rich Ligue 1 leaders.

Now Michel Moulin – who worked very briefly as an adviser to PSG in 2008 – has claimed that a deal for Rooney is 'done'.

Now the owner of French media outlet Le Sport 10, Moulin said on French TV: 'I announce to you from trusted sources: Rooney to PSG is done. He will be at PSG next season.'

Rooney has been linked with the French club constantly in recent weeks, with stars Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Thiago Silva urging him to join them in Paris.

The 27-year-old has never indicated that he wishes to leave United and today the club distanced themselves from the claims in France.

Rooney was omitted from the biggest game of United's season, the second leg of the Champions League last-16 tie against Real Madrid, and on Sunday operated in central midfield at Stoke as Robin van Persie and Javier Hernandez filled the striking roles.

Van Persie is clearly not going anywhere, and whilst Hernandez's future is open to debate given the number of top European clubs who would be interested in the Mexico star, Ferguson also has Danny Welbeck at his disposal.

In addition, the United boss has stated he expects Shinji Kagawa to benefit from his first season in English football, and evidently, the Japan star is more suited to a central role behind a main striker than any other.

And speculation about further attacking reinforcements refuse to go away, with reports Ferguson sent his chief scout, Jim Lawlor, to check on Atletico Madrid front-man Radamel Falcao over the weekend following previous apparent interest in Kagawa's former Borussia Dortmund team-mate Robert Lewandowski.

Meanwhile, Rooney has urged United to get ready for one last push over the Premier League title line.

United's victory at Stoke means they now require only seven more points to claim a record 20th championship.

With both United and Emirates Marketing Project in action on Wednesday, the end could come as quickly as next Sunday, when Roberto Mancini's men visit Tottenham.

Even if it drags on a bit longer - there must be some kind of perverse appeal in winning it at Arsenal on April 27 - the end is in sight.

'We are in a great position,' Rooney said. 'But we have to make sure we move on and push ourselves over that line.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2309369/Wayne-Rooney-WILL-join-PSG--Manchester-United-star-heading-Old-Trafford-exit.html

If Rooney goes to PSG I'm lumping on him as top goal scorer in his first season. He would score a brickload of goals in France.

raphael honigstein ‏@honigstein 2h
Schürrle update. Chelsea have now submitted a second, improved offer (€22m + bonus) in case De Bruyne opts out. Ball in Leverkusen's court.

raphael honigstein ‏@honigstein 2h
it's "take it or leave it" - no more negotiations

would laugh if de bruyne leaves cos he's better than schurrle.

Back