• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

what has happened to the transfer section?

You never buy a player for one position. Top players adapt and can move around a bit.

And the manager should also adapt every weekend and change the formation to who is available or not.

Its not about choosing one formation, getting the players for every position and never change it again.

Huh?

None of this makes any sense. None of the players we've signed become redundant with a move to 4-3-3.

Moving Bale inside makes even more sense with a move to 4-3-3, because the top three are able to switch and rotate. He's played left and now centrally for us, and right for Wales.

But i'm starting to realise you're not actually here to debate this at all..

So what am I here to do? Troll you on formations?

Bale - best position is as a second striker/free role
Dempsey - second striker
Sigurdsson - #10 or #8(ala Lampard)
Holtby - I don't know but if we sign a "Moutinho"(never happening) then where does that leave him?
Lennon - right winger

None of those best fit a 433. To me, it seems you all have the horn for a formation and think it'll turn us into Barcelona. It won't even turn us into Arsenal(why would we even want to be?). The only way i see going 433 is if we mss out on top 4, sell Bale and overhaul the sqad with players that actually fit the formation. Which leaves no one from the front four positions. If you want to shoehorn Sigurdsson and Dempsey into wide forward roles then all I can say is GHod help us. I have no idea how moving Bale into a positon that doesn't exist in a 433 helps us either, you'll have to explain that one to me.

I'd also like to add that from what I've read, our youth teams had moved to a 433 under Harry, so it's not AVB's doing.

Last edited:
Levy would never sell Hudd for 2-3m, not a chance - crickey, we managed 5m for O'Hara

His price is more likely to be driven by what other clubs are willing to play for him, which is why I think that it is more likely we will see him leave on a long term loan with an option to buy on a cut price deal.

Dempsey - second striker
Holtby - I don't know but if we sign a "Moutinho"(never happening) then where does that leave him?
Lennon - right winger

None of those best fit a 433. To me, it seems you all have the horn for a formation and think it'll turn us into Barcelona. It won't even turn us into Arsenal(why would we even want to be?). The only way i see going 433 is if we mss out on top 4, sell Bale and overhaul the sqad with players that actually fit the formation. Which leaves no one from the front four positions. If you want to shoehorn Sigurdsson and Dempsey into wide forward roles then all I can say is GHod help us. I have no idea how moving Bale into a positon that doesn't exist in a 433 helps us either, you'll have to explain that one to me.

Bale - Has the abilities to play as a LF
Dempsey - has played as a LF and a Backup Striker for us this season.
Siggy - Could play as the RF or LF, or he could even be a part of the central three.
Holtby - Is a creative midfielder, that would leave him as the backup creative midfielder. 1.5m for a backup? Madness!
Lennon - At a push could play RF, but we'd likely want someone better.

Bar Lennon they all fit a 4-3-3.

I don't even know if i want to switch the 4-3-3. Firstly i'd have a look in the summer to see what kind of players are available.

Just people stating we don't have the players for it amuse me.

Last edited:
As much as I think he has very little to offer us in the future - I also believe you're doing Hudd a massive dis-service to his ability by suggesting there won't be any PL clubs willing to offer more than 2m for a seasoned PL unit, bearing in mind what has been thrown about on talantless cloggers in recent years.

Dempsey - second striker
Lennon - right winger

None of those best fit a 433. To me, it seems you all have the horn for a formation and think it'll turn us into Barcelona. It won't even turn us into Arsenal(why would we even want to be?). The only way i see going 433 is if we mss out on top 4, sell Bale and overhaul the sqad with players that actually fit the formation. Which leaves no one from the front four positions. If you want to shoehorn Sigurdsson and Dempsey into wide forward roles then all I can say is GHod help us.

Sig and Dempsey already play wide roles at the moment as long as Bale is available...

How do you know now what Bale's best position is? Seriously... Would you 6-7 months ago have suggested with such certainty that his best position would be this one? He hasn't yet been tried in a wide role in a 4-3-3, but you already know that this will not suit him or the team as well as his current role? How do you know this? Do you not at all consider that you might now be as wrong as those who only 6-7 months ago insisted that moving Bale centrally would be a mistake because "his best position is on the left wing"?

In a 4-3-3 we need more central midfielders than just the 3 starters. Sandro and Parker (or a new player) as the dm options. Dembele, a new signing and Holtby as the options for the two more advanced roles with Carroll as the backup behind those 3. That's not exactly a bloated squad. Oh noes, competition for places, where will this leave Holtby. Exactly where we want him, that's where it will leave him.

Quite a few teams that play 4-3-3 formations utilize a winger type player on one flank. Formations really aren't all that rigid, especially when attacking. I think Lennon could do quite well for us in a 4-3-3.

Any transfer rumours in this thread?

Spurs mull over bringing former West Brom star to White Hart Lane.

Tottenham boss, Andre Villas-Boas, is reportedly monitoring Fiorentina midfielder Borja Valero, according to the Mirror.

The 28-year-old has impressed in Italy this season as La Viola continue their push for Champions League football next season and has attracted the attention of a number of clubs looking to add a creative spark into their midfield.

Valero has played in England before, having spent three years at West Bromwich Albion between 2008-11. However, his time on these shores weren’t the happiest as the Baggies suffered relegation during his first season, which subsequently saw him leave on loan for the next two years to Real Mallorca and Villarreal respectively.

His form for Villarreal earned him a call up into the Spanish national side. He made his debut in a 4-0 win over the United States in 2011 and even managed to assist Fernando Torres for the game’s final goal.

Spurs are said to have been to see the Madrid-born midfielder at least four times, though they have not yet made any formal approach. This could change in the summer, though, as Villas-Boas looks to shake up the sometimes stale looking midfield.

Valero can play anywhere central in the midfield and is often used in an attacking role just behind the strikers. He is under contract until 2016 and if Spurs do want to follow up their interest then Valero might not come cheap.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2013/0...rentina-midfielder-for-potential-summer-deal/

That would be pretty cool, I mentioned him last summer as someone we should have looked at to give ourselves an option in central midfield.

Probably would be quite expensive after a good season at Fiorentina though so I can't really see it happen now. Was quite cheap from Villareal last summer though iirc.

Sig and Dempsey already play wide roles at the moment as long as Bale is available...

How do you know now what Bale's best position is? Seriously... Would you 6-7 months ago have suggested with such certainty that his best position would be this one? He hasn't yet been tried in a wide role in a 4-3-3, but you already know that this will not suit him or the team as well as his current role? How do you know this? Do you not at all consider that you might now be as wrong as those who only 6-7 months ago insisted that moving Bale centrally would be a mistake because "his best position is on the left wing"?

In a 4-3-3 we need more central midfielders than just the 3 starters. Sandro and Parker (or a new player) as the dm options. Dembele, a new signing and Holtby as the options for the two more advanced roles with Carroll as the backup behind those 3. That's not exactly a bloated squad. Oh noes, competition for places, where will this leave Holtby. Exactly where we want him, that's where it will leave him.

Quite a few teams that play 4-3-3 formations utilize a winger type player on one flank. Formations really aren't all that rigid, especially when attacking. I think Lennon could do quite well for us in a 4-3-3.

They play the wide role, not very well though. Infact it's pretty painful viewing most of the time. They are central players doing a job out wide. Bale himself has said he wants to play where he is now, just look at the Fulham game, no Lennon, we desperately needed width but Bale wouldn't move, the guy is in it for himself now. A 433 is still 451 when you don't have the ball, you don't want your best player spending half the game chasing back to help out his full back.

I just don't understand the desperation for 433, it will take more players to move to a 433 than it would to stick with the current system and just improve it.

They play the wide role, not very well though. Infact it's pretty painful viewing most of the time. They are central players doing a job out wide. Bale himself has said he wants to play where he is now, just look at the Fulham game, no Lennon, we desperately needed width but Bale wouldn't move, the guy is in it for himself now. A 433 is still 451 when you don't have the ball, you don't want your best player spending half the game chasing back to help out his full back.

I just don't understand the desperation for 433, it will take more players to move to a 433 than it would to stick with the current system and just improve it.

This is going way off topic...

I see you address essentially none of the issues I brought up in my post. You also bring up what I think is a pretty unfounded accusation against Bale, unless you have reason to think he was refusing to play wide after AVB instructed him to in the Fulham game.

Probably best if we end the discussion here. I would really like it if you could bring some of the reasoning behind your Bale accusation into a Bale thread and we could perhaps discuss it further.

Willian would've been perfect. A playmaking left sided player, one that allows Bale to stay in his best position and one that allows us to keep to the same system that has been working perfectly fine.

As much as I think he has very little to offer us in the future - I also believe you're doing Hudd a massive dis-service to his ability by suggesting there won't be any PL clubs willing to offer more than 2m for a seasoned PL unit, bearing in mind what has been thrown about on talantless cloggers in recent years.

I rate Hudd but his value is obviously going to be impacted by his injury problems over the last few years.

I also do not think that we will sell Dempsey or Parker this summer. I think that they are useful squad members and are only likely to sold if a better back up option becomes available at the right price.

£35 million bid for Ben Arfa, Cisse and Cabaye?

35 mill???? they fricken sold donkey Andy Carroll for 35 mill and you think they would accept 35 mill for THREE of their best players???

its 2013, not 1999 ;)

I rate Hudd but his value is obviously going to be impacted by his injury problems over the last few years.

I also do not think that we will sell Dempsey or Parker this summer. I think that they are useful squad members and are only likely to sold if a better back up option becomes available at the right price.

Definitely agree re Parker - cant see that we'd get a better back-up DM than him, particularly when we need to spend money elsewhere. I fail to understand the people who slag him off - they forget that he's our back-up and few teams at our level would have a better one

re Dempsey - if we go to 4-3-3 and want say 6 forwards to cover the 3 spots, then potentially he could end up leaving. Assuming Ade leaves then Defoe, Bale, Lennon and Townsend would be 4 of those 6 and then its a question of whether we sign a CF and another forward (the ideal scenario) or whether the cash only stretches to a CF. Siggy and Holby could be the 6th choice in those positions as well

Definitely agree re Parker - cant see that we'd get a better back-up DM than him, particularly when we need to spend money elsewhere. I fail to understand the people who slag him off - they forget that he's our back-up and few teams at our level would have a better one

re Dempsey - if we go to 4-3-3 and want say 6 forwards to cover the 3 spots, then potentially he could end up leaving. Assuming Ade leaves then Defoe, Bale, Lennon and Townsend would be 4 of those 6 and then its a question of whether we sign a CF and another forward (the ideal scenario) or whether the cash only stretches to a CF. Siggy and Holby could be the 6th choice in those positions as well

Not all of us...

But since you bring it up, what teams that you like to compare us to in the league would you say have a dedicated pure defensive midfielder in their squad at all?

The destroyer type defensive midfielder with little attacking ability is rather out of favour at the big teams it seems to me. Instead players that are more complete and that can offer something significant going forward when on the pitch seems to be the preferred squad options.

I would very much prefer a player that can cover for Sandro, but who also has enough ability on the ball to partner Sandro if need be. Thus giving us real options in midfield, not just like for like limited replacements.

Back