• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

what has happened to the transfer section?

I think Eriksen has been playing on the left quite a bit, he cut in from the left and scored against PSV today anyway. He did the same last week actually.

a wide forward doesn't have to help out with tracking back any more than than someone playing centrally.

Lennon is not a front three player and Bale won't want to move wide. It won't happen, and neither will Damiao. I don't even see the fuss with him, his best season he got 14 in 28. Benteke's younger and has 15 in 30 in England. I guess familiarity breeds contempt.

It's a wonky front 3 though. Bale would be tucked in like Hulk, whereas Lennon would be out wide like Varlea.

Re the CF, I just think AVB is quite single minded about his targets and Leandro was clearly the only forward he wanted he January, so I think we'll give it another try. Re Benteke, he's a great hold-up CF for a team that plays on the break, but because we're going to be a possession side we need more of an intelligent clever-moving last-shoulder #9 instead.

I don't agree. Bale is pretty much playing as a second striker, he does a token job of tracking back. Wide forwards are basically wingers when the opposition have the ball and are attacking.

-------------------- Lloris ---------------------
Walker ----- Kaboul ------ Vertonghen ----- Rose
----------- Sandro ------- Dembele ------------
-- Lennon ---------- Bale ----------- Eriksen ---
------------------- Striker ---------------------

the problem Rossi, i feel, with that formation/line up is that we will still lack a deep laying player who is a good passer of the ball, a play maker who can knit attack and midfield together

you wouldn't take Modric out of last seasons team and replace him with Dembele and expect us to be as creative would you?

imv you need to sacrifice one of your '3' to play deeper or replace Dembele with a more creative player.

personally i think Sandro Dembele + a playmaker will gives us an unbelievable strong central 3 from a defensive perspective which would cover the fact that we'd score fewer goals with 3 players in front. Im almost certain we'll be lining up this way next season

Last edited:
It's a wonky front 3 though. Bale would be tucked in like Hulk, whereas Lennon would be out wide like Varlea.

Re the CF, I just think AVB is quite single minded about his targets and Leandro was clearly the only forward he wanted he January, so I think we'll give it another try. Re Benteke, he's a great hold-up CF for a team that plays on the break, but because we're going to be a possession side we need more of an intelligent clever-moving last-shoulder #9 instead.

Why are we going to be a possession side? Spurs aren't Porto, Spurs are Spurs. We're not a good possession side, we're built around pace and power, it would take a big change in playing personel for us to change that.

can see us going for Eriksen but not so sure he's needed - isn't he an attacking central midfielder? isn't that where we want to be playing Bale?

I've mainly seen him used as an ACM. As Rossi has pointed out, he reminds me of Siggy, only without the power/strength or the goals.

I think he's really a Liverpool calibre player and will end up there too.

Why are we going to be a possession side? Spurs aren't Porto, Spurs are Spurs. We're not a good possession side, we're built around pace and power, it would take a big change in playing personel for us to change that.

AVB was once asked to sum up his football philosophy. His reply was “4-3-3 of ball possession and movement, and when necessary, the use of a high defence line and vigorous ball recovery”. His raison d'etre is possession, resting with the ball and short bursts of intense pressing.

Dembele, Sandro, Holtby, Siggy are all good enough to play a possession game, we just lack that one final Xavi/Moutinho/Modric type player in there to knit it altogther.

I'm not sure they are and I think you're wanting us to become something we're not. I think the other North London side are perhaps better suited to your tastes.

AVB was once asked to sum up his football philosophy. His reply was “4-3-3 of ball possession and movement, and when necessary, the use of a high defence line and vigorous ball recovery”. His raison d'etre is possession, resting with the ball and short bursts of intense pressing.

Dembele, Sandro, Holtby, Siggy are all good enough to play a possession game, we just lack that one final Xavi/Moutinho/Modric type player in there to knit it altogther.

Your writing a quite but its bit one ive ever read. Can you actually please find that quote somewhere?

I don't think we will move from our current system and will but players to suit it, which means a few quality players in rather than wholesale changes.

He did not say that at all. All he said was that he will be continuing with the same system as we'd previously been using. This 433 thing is really strange, it's as though people support a formation more than a football team around here.

Yes he did

Your writing a quite but its bit one ive ever read.

N01kC.gif

To be fair most on here seem to want to switch to 4-3-3 for obvious reasons.

We had one of the best midfields in the league when Sandro and Dembele were together. You don't want to break that up. However you want to add more creativity, which means adding a ball playing midfielder to the mix.

Hey presto. Three across the midfield.

I'm not sure they are and I think you're wanting us to become something we're not. I think the other North London side are perhaps better suited to your tastes.

Thing is, we clearly don't have the players for our current formation either. We have one out and out winger, and that's it.

Your writing a quite but its bit one ive ever read. Can you actually please find that quote somewhere?

I don't think we will move from our current system and will but players to suit it, which means a few quality players in rather than wholesale changes.

It from his, horribly-titled but otherwise pretty good, biography (rather than an article on the internet): http://www.amazon.co.uk/André-Villas-Boas-Luis-Miguel-Pereira/dp/1905928084. P17

I would recommend everyone read it.

It from his, horribly-titled but otherwise pretty good, biography (rather than an article on the internet): http://www.amazon.co.uk/André-Villas-Boas-Luis-Miguel-Pereira/dp/1905928084. P17

I would recommend everyone read it.

Some other interesting bits from it.

On his substitutions:
When he makes changes to the team, he usually does so in midfield. The timing of the changes: between 60 and 75 minutes. He removes a winger from the attack and thereby makes a midfield quartet, intermediate base of the 4-4-2 and its variants (diamond shape or 1-3). In this way, he avoids the ‘wear and tear’, and tactical fatigue that the 4-3-3 may more easily cause to the team (and t the individual players), and he avoids speaking about ‘tired players’ or a ‘worn out team’. The time he makes the change is also fully considered. At its best, the team begins to recover for the following match… in the previous match. The 4-4-2 clearly makes it possible to rest more with the ball (possession for possession’s sake)

On dealing with player problems:
Villas-Boas never had private conversations with players when they were upset. He always spoke to them face to face, but within the group. His message was: ‘What matters here is the group, the club, and not this or that player in particular’
Andre Villas-Boas likes to resolve things face to face and in front of the entire team. An effective and instructive way of overcoming any potential sources of discontent”

And perhaps of relevance to Bale's position:
“No player will ever be allowed to fulfill individual ambitions rather than collective ones”

Some other interesting bits from it.

On his substitutions:
When he makes changes to the team, he usually does so in midfield. The timing of the changes: between 60 and 75 minutes. He removes a winger from the attack and thereby makes a midfield quartet, intermediate base of the 4-4-2 and its variants (diamond shape or 1-3). In this way, he avoids the ‘wear and tear’, and tactical fatigue that the 4-3-3 may more easily cause to the team (and t the individual players), and he avoids speaking about ‘tired players’ or a ‘worn out team’. The time he makes the change is also fully considered. At its best, the team begins to recover for the following match… in the previous match. The 4-4-2 clearly makes it possible to rest more with the ball (possession for possession’s sake)

On dealing with player problems:
Villas-Boas never had private conversations with players when they were upset. He always spoke to them face to face, but within the group. His message was: ‘What matters here is the group, the club, and not this or that player in particular’
Andre Villas-Boas likes to resolve things face to face and in front of the entire team. An effective and instructive way of overcoming any potential sources of discontent”

And perhaps of relevance to Bale's position:
“No player will ever be allowed to fulfill individual ambitions rather than collective ones”

I looked at buying that to read on holiday but then read thy it was upto Chelsea so wasn't very "current" which makes sense as its a set point in time

I guess we shall see what happens formation wise

Back