• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What are we missing?

What's missing? Much better players in almost every position! Next window needs to see a high quality signing or two. No more squad fillers from now on, only players to come in as obvious starters.

Although admittedly it's a tough ask, It's why we got Paratici in, and it's what Conte expects.
I think that is the intent
We had glaring issues in the squad especially as we needed to shift so much crap (and still do)
Kulu and Bentacur have shown it’s doable

I think that is the intent
We had glaring issues in the squad especially as we needed to shift so much crap (and still do)
Kulu and Bentacur have shown it’s doable

Yep, Maybe there was one or two top targets we missed out on in those windows too. We know we got gazumped for Diaz by Liverpool, and I think maybe a couple of Italian transfers seemed pretty close. We just need to hang on to January right.now without falling apart!

Yep, Maybe there was one or two top targets we missed out on in those windows too. We know we got gazumped for Diaz by Liverpool, and I think maybe a couple of Italian transfers seemed pretty close. We just need to hang on to January right.now without falling apart!
We got Kulu instead of Diaz. I prefer Kulu for us
We did want an Italian CB but we have Lenglet there now
We did what Zaniolo who is a Kulu type of player

The comparisons with poch and conte are pointless imho.
Two totally different personalities with different methods and the change in us since the stadium opened almost a different club.
Its a travesty that players like jan, Eriksen, dele, Wanyama and Dembele never won a trophy here under poch. Just as it will be if harry, son and hugo don't under conte and poch.
But really they deserve as much of the blame as anyone, the chances have been there and they have never taken them.
Jan, hugo and Harry have all been class for us and their countries, but the fact they were here for as long as they were tells us something. And its not that other clubs were scared of levy, or couldn't afford it, its that they didn't think they were worth it.
Lets face it bale, Modric, carrick and walker all went for ridiculous fees.

Two totally different personalities with different methods and the change in us since the stadium opened almost a different club.
Its a travesty that players like jan, Eriksen, dele, Wanyama and Dembele never won a trophy here under poch. Just as it will be if harry, son and hugo don't under conte and poch.
But really they deserve as much of the blame as anyone, the chances have been there and they have never taken them.
Jan, hugo and Harry have all been class for us and their countries, but the fact they were here for as long as they were tells us something. And its not that other clubs were scared of levy, or couldn't afford it, its that they didn't think they were worth it.
Agree with all of this

We got Kulu instead of Diaz. I prefer Kulu for us
We did want an Italian CB but we have Lenglet there now
We did what Zaniolo who is a Kulu type of player

Yeah def happier with Kulusevski. But is a good example that we went for the wonder kid option first rather than the doable Juventus option. It's a good sign that we are thinking big. I'm still convinced we have changed our way of doing business (Even though some are still hesitant) problem is getting those deals over the line and how many windows we need.

Yeah def happier with Kulusevski. But is a good example that we went for the wonder kid option first rather than the doable Juventus option. It's a good sign that we are thinking big. I'm still convinced we have changed our way of doing business (Even though some are still hesitant) problem is getting those deals over the line and how many windows we need.
Lots of variables
Player has to want to join first which was the issue with Bastoni for example

Great post IMO.

We have a strong first 11 with decent options for a couple of positions. Bentancur and Kulusevski were both extremely important starting 11 signings for us last season.

Signings this summer have been ok. Perisic has been good (enough), Lenglet has slottet in well overall and given us a much needed option at LCB. Richarlison has been good, but is not a natural on the right in this system. Bissouma has been disappointing so far overall, but I expect more to come.

We have issues with everyone fit. Lack of attacking ability at RWB, lack of creativity in the centre. The difference in quality between Romero and the other two centre backs is a bit too big. Lloris makes errors a bit too often and is average at best on the ball. Sessegnon doesn't do enough on the ball, Perisic a bit too vulnerable defensively.

All these issues we can work around. We've seen it happen. Mix those issues with the issues that arise when we're playing several of our non first choice players and exhaustion sets in we're in real trouble.

We all have different opinions on which players that aren't really good enough in the squad. Conte will have his. But the problem is that there's too many of them. Not that many in our strongest 11 I would argue, but way too many outside the strongest 11.

We need some younger players to improve, we need some more signings. It will take time.

We have a strong first 11 with decent options for a couple of positions. Bentancur and Kulusevski were both extremely important starting 11 signings for us last season.

Signings this summer have been ok. Perisic has been good (enough), Lenglet has slottet in well overall and given us a much needed option at LCB. Richarlison has been good, but is not a natural on the right in this system. Bissouma has been disappointing so far overall, but I expect more to come.

We have issues with everyone fit. Lack of attacking ability at RWB, lack of creativity in the centre. The difference in quality between Romero and the other two centre backs is a bit too big. Lloris makes errors a bit too often and is average at best on the ball. Sessegnon doesn't do enough on the ball, Perisic a bit too vulnerable defensively.

All these issues we can work around. We've seen it happen. Mix those issues with the issues that arise when we're playing several of our non first choice players and exhaustion sets in we're in real trouble.

We all have different opinions on which players that aren't really good enough in the squad. Conte will have his. But the problem is that there's too many of them. Not that many in our strongest 11 I would argue, but way too many outside the strongest 11.

We need some younger players to improve, we need some more signings. It will take time.
Players need games to improve
The lack of rotation has killed the squad at a time conte is comparing he has injury issues
That’s on him

Players need games to improve
The lack of rotation has killed the squad at a time conte is comparing he has injury issues
That’s on him

It's a bit of a catch 22. Could have seen Spence, Gil, Bissouma do better if given more chances. Could also have seen them put in sub par performances that would have cost us points.

It's a bit of a catch 22. Could have seen Spence, Gil, Bissouma do better if given more chances. Could also have seen them put in sub par performances that would have cost us points.
Not Gil
I mean that’s a lad who needs to take responsibility for his career and get in the gym. To have gone on loan and came back arguably weaker on the ball is not good for him
But he could have rotated more at CB and rwb for a start

I think we have the basis of a good team when a majority of our first 11 are available. Though I don't necessarily think that Conte's 3 at the back system (which actually tends to generally instead be a 5 at the back) suits a majority of our players.

I'd like us to add a proper left sided CB who can play in a 2 as opposed to needing to be hidden away in a 3, that means he needs to be physical, fast, aggressive and decent defending one on one out towards the left side (as Romero can do over on the right). If we then played Bissouma as a pure holding player, that would allow our full backs to play as reasonably attacking full backs but not out and out wing backs. Bentancur and PEH can then play as destroyers in the middle and it still leaves us being able to play a front three of Kulu, Kane and Son/Richarlison. We'd have one more 'attacking' player to pass to, which should stop us having to rely solely on counter attack or long ball.

I'd also like to see us sign a proper creative central midfield player (a Maddison type) who demands the ball and wants to dictate play as well at get forward into goal scoring positions. Having a player like this would allow Kane to stay higher up the pitch, though it would probably mean dropping Bissouma and playing PEH/Skipp and Bentancur as a deeper two in midfield.

I dont know how Eddie Howe has performed as much magic with Saudi Sportswashing Machine whilst Conte has has more money to spend and yet we look less of a team and with less of a plan.

I think we have the basis of a good team when a majority of our first 11 are available. Though I don't necessarily think that Conte's 3 at the back system (which actually tends to generally instead be a 5 at the back) suits a majority of our players.

I'd like us to add a proper left sided CB who can play in a 2 as opposed to needing to be hidden away in a 3, that means he needs to be physical, fast, aggressive and decent defending one on one out towards the left side (as Romero can do over on the right). If we then played Bissouma as a pure holding player, that would allow our full backs to play as reasonably attacking full backs but not out and out wing backs. Bentancur and PEH can then play as destroyers in the middle and it still leaves us being able to play a front three of Kulu, Kane and Son/Richarlison. We'd have one more 'attacking' player to pass to, which should stop us having to rely solely on counter attack or long ball.

I'd also like to see us sign a proper creative central midfield player (a Maddison type) who demands the ball and wants to dictate play as well at get forward into goal scoring positions. Having a player like this would allow Kane to stay higher up the pitch, though it would probably mean dropping Bissouma and playing PEH/Skipp and Bentancur as a deeper two in midfield.
It's not going to happen, Conte prefers 3 at the back.

Could not agree more.

It's not going to happen, Conte prefers 3 at the back.
In which case we need to sign a central CB who is a lot more talented than Dier. I'd prefer it if that player is equally at home on the left side of a two so that he is useful to the manager who succeeds Conte as our track record suggests that we won't replace Conte with a manager that wants to play with 3 at the back.

In which case we need to sign a central CB who is a lot more talented than Dier. I'd prefer it if that player is equally at home on the left side of a two so that he is useful to the manager who succeeds Conte as our track record suggests that we won't replace Conte with a manager that wants to play with 3 at the back.
We would need a RCB for a 2
Romero has been playing a 3 at club level now for some time

A lot of talk in here about players.
I noticed that Stevie Gerrard left Villa and they instantly played much better and won 4-0.
I do rate Conte, but he needs to release the shackles and enable us to become more than the sum of our parts.

Back