• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What are we missing?

To be fair we're a tough crowd. It was the first time we'd started with that system in the league. And we applied it away at a resurgent united. Conte knows that sticking with a side and playing them into form is the best way. But how do you do that now with games every 3 days?

But here lies the problem, he has narrowed his own options by not playing people before so any change is made harder because lack of exposure to match time of a system and TBH people eat it up and say "well if he ain't playing people they obviously ain't good enough"

So what do you do? Invest time and money in building a squad and just accept that we won't play them or trust them? It's ridiculous.

He could have played 343 and played Moura and I'm not Mouras biggest fan, but he has been in the cold for so long, that option wasn't viable. So some of it is valid, some is self inflicted

Makes you ask yourself why have a squad?

And TBH our situation isn't unique, all clubs are managing their loads and rotations because of volume of games and the world Cup etc.

Last edited:
You don’t
You manage your squad
That’s why this season is unique

Conte is not as good as Poch at getting the most out of individual players and making them into better players. System is king, individual confidence secondary and less important to Conte.

For me, we have to continue playing Sessegnon at LWB. There are enough signs of his ability. Somehow Conte needs to take some pressure off him though, and try to get the WBs playing naturally when in the final third. Its too forced at the moment. Hopeful crosses rather than feeling a pass or getting to the by-line.

Idk what we do at RWB, we have too many options. It is clear that Conte sees ability in Royal. So fair play to him. Given a season or two, Royal probably would be the best RWB. If Royal is Conte's decision so be it. As things stand it does leave us lacking natural attacking skill down the right. Personally, I would play Perisic at RWB and rotate Royal in. That way there is less pressure on Royal. You feel the tension when the WBs get the ball in the final third, and things seize up. That is where Poch is gold. He'd understand that and get them feeling more fluid able to be creative and relax.

I'd stick with Lenglet. He was great today going forward. But a rabbit caught in the headlights for their second.

Conte is not as good as Poch at getting the most out of individual players and making them into better players. System is king, individual confidence secondary and less important to Conte.

For me, we have to continue playing Sessegnon at LWB. There are enough signs of his ability. Somehow Conte needs to take some pressure off him though, and try to get the WBs playing naturally when in the final third. Its too forced at the moment. Hopeful crosses rather than feeling a pass or getting to the by-line.

Idk what we do at RWB, we have too many options. It is clear that Conte sees ability in Royal. So fair play to him. Given a season or two, Royal probably would be the best RWB. If Royal is Conte's decision so be it. As things stand it does leave us lacking natural attacking skill down the right. Personally, I would play Perisic at RWB and rotate Royal in. That way there is less pressure on Royal. You feel the tension when the WBs get the ball in the final third, and things seize up. That is where Poch is gold. He'd understand that and get them feeling more fluid able to be creative and relax.

I'd stick with Lenglet. He was great today going forward. But a rabbit caught in the headlights for their second.
Conte made Moses a right wing back
Victor Moses
Conte can do many things
He is an amazing coach

Mainly squad players though.

There's some huge gaps in the squad though - RWB and a creative CM in particular.

LWB increasingly looking a problem area too
Squad players but he doesn’t use the squad
To have Romero out with a potential injury and Hojberg out when both could have and should have been rotated much more… awful squad management by conte
He heads RWB but plays one all the time
He has CMs but we never went for an attacking one (he has never said he wants one)

Conte made Moses a right wing back
Victor Moses
Conte can do many things
He is an amazing coach

I don't doubt that one bit. And I'm not advocating Poch to come back. Fans are fickle. We're doing okay, and supporters are spoilt. But if there is an attribute Poch has over Conte it is his ability to turn average players into better ones. Where Poch fell down might be when said players revert to type. Most of the time he coaxes extra ability from average players. But sometimes they don't deliver at the higher level he gets them playing at most of the time.

With Conte, he's less focused on the individual and their confidence. What happens to the WBs when they get in the final third mentally etc. He just wants a quick accurate ball into the box. Thing is, you have to let a player play and feel the right pass, feel tuned in, feel confidence to make the right decision. Whether that's picking a pass or driving forward.

We need

A goalie
A decent RWB
2 new CB's replacements for Dier/Sanchez/Davies
Attacking midfielder

Yeah, on the goalie, I'm starting to agree. I thought we could stick with Hugo for one more season after this, but replacing him is rapidly moving up the list of priorities, and we might want to start urgently looking next summer for someone to bench him for his last year, like he did to Friedel ten years ago.

I don't doubt that one bit. And I'm not advocating Poch to come back. Fans are fickle. We're doing okay, and supporters are spoilt. But if there is an attribute Poch has over Conte it is his ability to turn average players into better ones. Where Poch fell down might be when said players revert to type. Most of the time he coaxes extra ability from average players. But sometimes they don't deliver at that higher level he gets them playing at.

With Conte, he's less focused on the individual and their confidence. What happens to the WBs when they get in the final third mentally etc. He just wants a quick accurate ball into the box. Thing is, you have to let a player play and feel the right pass, feel tuned in, feel confidence to make the right decision. Whether that's picking a pass or driving forward.
Average into better? give me some examples please?

Mainly squad players though.

There's some huge gaps in the squad though - RWB and a creative CM in particular.

LWB increasingly looking a problem area too
Exactly, the talk is always about Royal and RWB but I don’t see much better coming from the LWB role. Sess just hasn’t progressed as would have liked but still worth persevering with, but Perisic has been a real let down for me. On the positive side Udogie at Udinese has been doing really well, and got another assist today….

Yeah, on the goalie, I'm starting to agree. I thought we could stick with Hugo for one more season after this, but replacing him is rapidly moving up the list of priorities, and we might want to start urgently looking next summer for someone to bench him for his last year.
The Brentford Spanish international goalkeeer for me please….

Adam Lanlanna, Ricky Lambpert both made it into the England squad off Poch. Numerous players we had overachieved under him. Alli for example. People forget how much he took such players on and elevated them.
None at spurs then
He took in young players and they progressed under his coaching. I mean that was his job
He didn’t do very well getting rid of players (huge weakness) and he really struggled to become a manager rather than a coach. He didn’t know how to not be their friend

None at spurs then
He took in young players and they progressed under his coaching. I mean that was his job
He didn’t do very well getting rid of players (huge weakness) and he really struggled to become a manager rather than a coach. He didn’t know how to not be their friend

But again that is the accountability thing, he asked the players to work harder and they started to sulk off.

That's why the same players in part have failed 4 managers, some need to have a hard look at themselves

But again that is the accountability thing, he asked the players to work harder and they started to sulk off.

That's why the same players in part have failed 4 managers, some need to have a hard look at themselves
That’s because they got bored and stale

None at spurs then

Nonsense. Kane became the player he is under Poch. Someone Kane himself credits for his meteoric rise. Was there a more startling rise of a player? He exploded under Poch. Alli was also sensational under Poch. His overachievement ultimately the biggest issue for Alli. He did so well, he felt he always had to be that stellar player.

Poch adapted to individuals, Conte asks individuals to adapt to a system.

Nonsense. Kane became the player he is under Poch. Someone Kane himself credits for his meteoric rise. Was there a more startling rise of a player? He exploded under Poch. Alli was also sensational under Poch. His overachievement ultimately the biggest issue for Alli. He did so well, he felt he always had to be that stellar player.

Poch adapted to individuals, Conte asks individuals to adapt to a system.
Poch didn’t even want to play him until he had no choice
Kane is the painter he is because of Kane. It’s all on him not any coach. All his coaches have given him things of course but Kane has worked harder than anyone and added things that no coach did

alli did amazing under Poch but again, the talent was there. Did he exceed his talent or did his just achieve it.

I can’t, off the top of my head thing of an average player that became better under him. I can name plenty of younger players who got better but that’s the natural process for young players

I do agree a little on your last line. But systems are what all coaches use now. Poch was hard pressing 4-2-3-1 for example

Back