• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Welcome Ange: To Dare is to Didgeridoo

it's all well and good having 15 vice captains. But if you asked someone who didn't watch us who was our captain yday or vice it would be hard to tell. In fact even I can't seriously answer it!!

The players played with the right level of competitiveness in the first half. Second half they switched to another mode.
Why? Cos they thought the game was won and somehow they have become Real Madrid. When in fact nothing in our current history should have us thinking we are all that. And by the time the 2nd goes in.....they all just collapsed. It's amazing. It really is. And NOTHING new

Last edited:
It may have? Thing is you've got two choices when everything is going to s***:
- try to do something to sort it (everything may still go to s***)
- do nothing and watch it all go to s***
Ange chose the latter option, which is a worry in itself but some of these post match presser meltdowns are also quite worrying. He's more and more resembling a grumpy aussie version of Kevin Keegan by the day.
Which means he is close to breaking.....like we do to everyone

Which means he is close to breaking.....like we do to everyone
It's the first time in his career he's had to deal with the pressure of building a side in an extremely competitive league where every mistake gets punished in terms of results and everything he says and does gets scrutinised 10 times over. It's a massive step up from where he was previously. The pressure to win and scrutiny may be similar at Celtic but the difference is that if you make a tactical mistake or the players drop levels in the second half against McHaggis FC you're still going to win 9/10.

Don't buy this "we break everyone" garbage. Most teams and managers are cyclical for all clubs. You need a constant conveyor belt of selecting the right head coach every time you need to. Dynasties like Fergie, Wenger etc are the exception rather than the rule and unlikely to occur as regularly in the future.

I don't remember Redknapp being broken for example, he just took his eye off the ball due to his court case and the links to the England job then Levy got tinkled off and sacked him. By all accounts Redknapp was ready to sign a new contract.

Poch wasn't broken either and again I think he'd have happily carried on trying to complete the "painful rebuild" if given more time.

Mourinho and Conte did have meltdowns but they've been like that at every other club in their careers.

Last edited:
I get what he is saying. If it were as easy as “make some subs” then maybe we should all have a try at this football management lark. Bielsa made a post-match comment a couple of years ago along the lines of “everyone thinks the solution is the one that hasn’t been tried yet”. He was right.

Well it is, you try the right thing and you win.

What did they say? I cannot bring myself to watch it. To make me mad again before I went off to sleep.
Our first half was brilliant and Brighton were a yard off everything… they show that
Second half we started and we’re instantly off the press.. solanke presses for their first goal and no one else does
And it repeats
When you see it with an aerial view it’s quite scary

I think the press interview is being blown out of proportion. He's obviously disappointed and tinkled off. I'd have more concerns if he wasn't.
It’s been taken out of context for sure
His comment is all about the failings of what was happening and people wanna focus on the tiny element about making subs
Sells papers and twitter clicks I guess

Conte what have said
“For sure I can make substitutes, but it was all about the whole attitude that cost us and that’s what hurt us most”
Ange instead as a native English speaker give us a paragraph with an Australian drawl

It’s been taken out of context for sure
His comment is all about the failings of what was happening and people wanna focus on the tiny element about making subs
Sells papers and twitter clicks I guess

Conte what have said
“For sure I can make substitutes, but it was all about the whole attitude that cost us and that’s what hurt us most”
Ange instead as a native English speaker give us a paragraph with an Australian drawl
It's true though IMO, make subs and ok it looks proactive but it's hard for 2 or 3 players to stem a tide that's set in.

As fans we look for an obvious failing so have now latched onto subs (it was set plays).

But let's be real here, I've supposed Spurs for 35 years (of knowing what I'm seeing) and I've seen this nearly without fail every year of that time, it's not an excuse but for some reason we have this in us, I have my theory to it and that's why I back someone like Ange who wants to take the long approach to changing a culture.

It's true though IMO, make subs and ok it looks proactive but it's hard for 2 or 3 players to stem a tide that's set in.

As fans we look for an obvious failing so have now latched onto subs (it was set plays).

But let's be real here, I've supposed Spurs for 35 years (of knowing what I'm seeing) and I've seen this nearly without fail every year of that time, it's not an excuse but for some reason we have this in us, I have my theory to it and that's why I back someone like Ange who wants to take the long approach to changing a culture.
Yep
It’s not new
It’s annoying
It’s in the dna
When we do it to other teams we get some plaudits
This was the reverse and needs a measured view as well
We have done this 10 times before and are now 3 ahead of its nearest team for blowing a lead like this

Last edited:
I think the press interview is being blown out of proportion. He's obviously disappointed and tinkled off. I'd have more concerns if he wasn't.
I’ve no problem with what he said. Ange is very big picture rather than about the details. He’s saying, big picture, we were off it as a unit and that was the problem rather than lack of subs.

I think that’s fair enough as an analysis of what happened. None of us knows the right answer for sure (the Bielsa quote above is a great one) and we all have our opinions. Ange is entitled to his and it’s consistent with everything I’ve seen and heard from him over the last 12 months or so.

A win this weekend and it will show we have (overall) responded well to the NLD defeat. We seem slightly less kamikaze with out highline.

I didn't watch the game yesterday as i was out but good to see Johnson score again. Shame we didn't keep another clean sheet but we're getting the job done atm. Will be really good to go into an international break on a high.

Well that lasted long eh.....back to the drawing board..sigh...

3 minutes into post-match press conference

Bleep me, what a load of gonads.
If we were not competetive, could that not be because of the physical exertions that the players have undertaken over a busy few weeks compared to Brighton and because of the way we play? If so, isn't that the point of having a SQUAD and substitutes to FRESHEN THINGS UP and try and CHANGE THE FLOW OF THE GAME???
Plus the BS about not wanting to 'won falsely', WTF does that even mean? Should he hand back some of the lucky wins we've had last season now because those wins are 'false'?

Sorry, but Ange sounds like he's really out of his depth. No disgrace in or of itself losing, but bleep me, is he going to just stand there when we are at the Emirates, Anfield, maybe at home to West Ham in a fortnight? You can't say you thought it would be pointless to make subs....then make subs anyway, just way too late!
That second half was on the players being outfought (and they might have an excuse because they've been playing much more than Brighton recently) but not sesing how the game was going AND STANDING THERE DOING NOTHING until the last what 13 minutes, that was on teh manager, ZERO EXCUSES for not makings subs earlier.

It's still a work in progress but, oddly enough, Postecoglou seems to be willing to make a few tweaks to his set up, which is rather encouraging. Since the Arsenal game, there's a significant increase in the quality of our play. He's changed his midfield dynamic so that Porro and Udogie have less influence on our play. Quite frankly, I didn't think he had that in him. Granted, the opposition in these last five games has been anything but stellar but still, it shows we can aspire to a certain level.

On thing that I feel gets a bit under the radar is that Postecoglou's brand of football is very demanding physically. It's always a balancing act between offering movement off the ball, pressing the opposition and keeping enough energy to remain composed in critical situations. To me, it looked like we failed to get that balance and that's where I think Postecoglou could do better: in such a demanding system, I think you need to inject fresh bodies during the game if you don't want your team to collapse.

Then again, I thought he wouldn't turn it around after the Arsenal game and he did (or at least, he showed he could) so what do I know? The next step for him will be to identify what he needs to get his team to perform consistently. I still think the clock's ticking but he might be able to pleasantly surprise me.

Bleep me, what a load of gonads.
If we were not competetive, could that not be because of the physical exertions that the players have undertaken over a busy few weeks compared to Brighton and because of the way we play? If so, isn't that the point of having a SQUAD and substitutes to FRESHEN THINGS UP and try and CHANGE THE FLOW OF THE GAME???
Plus the BS about not wanting to 'won falsely', WTF does that even mean? Should he hand back some of the lucky wins we've had last season now because those wins are 'false'?

Sorry, but Ange sounds like he's really out of his depth. No disgrace in or of itself losing, but bleep me, is he going to just stand there when we are at the Emirates, Anfield, maybe at home to West Ham in a fortnight? You can't say you thought it would be pointless to make subs....then make subs anyway, just way too late!
That second half was on the players being outfought (and they might have an excuse because they've been playing much more than Brighton recently) but not sesing how the game was going AND STANDING THERE DOING NOTHING until the last what 13 minutes, that was on teh manager, ZERO EXCUSES for not makings subs earlier.
There's always hope. But having had him as manager for over a year, let's have a show of hands as to who really thinks this isn't already heading for the inevitable. You look for improvement regardless of results. The frailties in the team are pretty much the same frailties than were there right from the beginning. The inconsistency in performance and results seems to be the same as it was last season. The feeling that if we come up against anyone decent that we will lose. And the manager/coaches don't seem to have a clue how to improve things

There's always hope. But having had him as manager for over a year, let's have a show of hands as to who really thinks this isn't already heading for the inevitable. You look for improvement regardless of results. The frailties in the team are pretty much the same frailties than were there right from the beginning. The inconsistency in performance and results seems to be the same as it was last season. The feeling that if we come up against anyone decent that we will lose. And the manager/coaches don't seem to have a clue how to improve things
I don't think it's heading for the inevitable personally. It's almost like some people can't grasp what long term means, days like yesterday have been happening at this club for as long as I've been breathing so it's a bit of wishful thinking to think a new guy is just going to eradicate this in a year. Under Mourinho we played defensive counter attacking football, and let a three goal lead slip to West Ham so if that happens under Jose, please do tell why this is all meant to disappear playing a much more expansive brand of football and in the grand scheme of things still relatively early in his tenure here?

He's completely overhauled the way we play football, lets see if step by step other aspects beyond the pure footballing side come together. It wasn't an easy ride for any of the top managers to begin with at the likes of City and Liverpool so it sure as hell won't be at a club like ours with less resources. There is no quick fix for us, we aren't Chelsea and just for once I'd like to see our guy given breathing space and see how it plays out. We are hardly in a disastrous position as it is with a not easy set of starting fixtures, and we all know how quickly things change in football....

I don't think it's heading for the inevitable personally. It's almost like some people can't grasp what long term means, days like yesterday have been happening at this club for as long as I've been breathing so it's a bit of wishful thinking to think a new guy is just going to eradicate this in a year. Under Mourinho we played defensive counter attacking football, and let a three goal lead slip to West Ham so if that happens under Jose, please do tell why this is all meant to disappear playing a much more expansive brand of football and in the grand scheme of things still relatively early in his tenure here?

He's completely overhauled the way we play football, lets see if step by step other aspects beyond the pure footballing side come together. It wasn't an easy ride for any of the top managers to begin with at the likes of City and Liverpool so it sure as hell won't be at a club like ours with less resources. There is no quick fix for us, we aren't Chelsea and just for once I'd like to see our guy given breathing space and see how it plays out. We are hardly in a disastrous position as it is with a not easy set of starting fixtures, and we all know how quickly things change in football....

That is all fair and well...but....

..when previously have we collapsed after being 2-0 up and we had a coach that was highly thought of and said coach do absolutely nothing whilst watching the car crash? By doing nothing i mean not make a sub, make a change to the formation, perhaps drop deeper and 'park the bus' for a while etc?

On that front, when did we previously go down to 9 men, losing our centre-back pairing AND our fastest defenders, yet try and play a high-line offside against a team that had many failing but one of which was NOT a lack of pace?

That is all fair and well...but....

..when previously have we collapsed after being 2-0 up and we had a coach that was highly thought of and said coach do absolutely nothing whilst watching the car crash? By doing nothing i mean not make a sub, make a change to the formation, perhaps drop deeper and 'park the bus' for a while etc?

On that front, when did we previously go down to 9 men, losing our centre-back pairing AND our fastest defenders, yet try and play a high-line offside against a team that had many failing but one of which was NOT a lack of pace?
We play the way we play and aren't going to drastically change due to circumstance - if you can't handle that, then clearly Ange ball isn't for you and you can either spend all your time complaining about it or just not bother watching until he is gone. For me, I'm fine with it - we dominate the ball and play better football than I've seen us for years, and we will undoubtedly have days like yesterday but over the course of the season I enjoy watching us play a hell of a lot more than I don't so I'm cool with giving Ange a few years and seeing where it all ends up - it's not like we were a roaring success beforehand am to be honest I'm just bored of the managerial merry go round we have and I can guarantee if we just switch manager we will again encounter a whole new set of issues with the new guy somewhere along the line whilst for the umpteenth time not win anything....

We play the way we play and aren't going to drastically change due to circumstance - if you can't handle that, then clearly Ange ball isn't for you and you can either spend all your time complaining about it or just not bother watching until he is gone. For me, I'm fine with it - we dominate the ball and play better football than I've seen us for years, and we will undoubtedly have days like yesterday but over the course of the season I enjoy watching us play a hell of a lot more than I don't so I'm cool with giving Ange a few years and seeing where it all ends up - it's not like we were a roaring success beforehand am to be honest I'm just bored of the managerial merry go round we have and I can guarantee if we just switch manager we will again encounter a whole new set of issues with the new guy somewhere along the line whilst for the umpteenth time not win anything....

If a manager seeing that we are being bullied and our energy levels have dropped and said manager making changes to try and nullify that is "drastic", then i don't know what to say...

Back