• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Welcome Ange: To Dare is to Didgeridoo

Harry did a really good job for us. Could see that we had the makings of a great attacking team with Bale, Lennon, Modric - they just needed a more solid platform to display their talents consistently. Brought in Palacios straight away to add bite in midfield and added Bassong, Gallas, Corluka etc not long after.

Poch was the same - just built a really solid defensive structure which allowed Eriksen, Kane, Son, and Alli to do their thing without worrying about it all glimg to pot behind them.

That’s a good point. I get on the forwards a lot and sometimes maybe I am too hard on them, but it doesn’t help that they know they have to score 3-4 goals a match more often than not to be assured that we will win the game. Arsenal and Liverpool know 1 or 2 goals most games wins them the match.

Goes without saying that if the rest of the season follows the pattern of the second half of last season and the first 7 games of this, that we are on course for finishing on just over 50 points which would be our worst league performance since the 2008/2009 "two points from eight games" season 15 years ago. Can't see him keeping his job unless there's a huge uplift in consistency in the rest of the season.
That also possibly a big over reaction
Form can be carved up many ways
Could be argued we have won 5 and lost 1 of our last 6 too which is a different spin on the same thing
I’ll judge us this season over a bigger run of games myself

That’s a good point. I get on the forwards a lot and sometimes maybe I am too hard on them, but it doesn’t help that they know they have to score 3-4 goals a match more often than not to be assured that we will win the game. Arsenal and Liverpool know 1 or 2 goals most games wins them the match.
It's not just that, likes of Johnson constantly having to drop back to help Porro defensively whereas say Lennon knew Corluka would be in position and solid enough thar he didn't have to worry about him and could just stay high and wide. Under Poch they knew Walker had everything covered. Poch also switched to 3 at the back when Trippier and Davies were playing as we didn't have that recovery pace. The focus was always on defence first and that allowed the attacking play to happen.

The players played with the right level of competitiveness in the first half. Second half they switched to another mode.
At that point it's on the manager to make the necessary on pitch adjustments. The players on the pitch failed to respond but so did Ange.

It's a a laboured point but the subs were indeed too late...It's ok, it's not the end of the world honestly, but it is a reveal to the real level of this side and it's frailties.

Today was a classic game of two halves, the manager is going to get the credit for the first half and he does, it was a wonderful performance full of energy, invention etc. Great football, but he's also going to get negative of the 2nd half. It's his team at the end of it and what did he do to react or anticipate? I'm happy to take the pain as long as he uses this a real lesson and reacts more quickly next time.

That also possibly a big over reaction
Form can be carved up many ways
Could be argued we have won 5 and lost 1 of our last 6 too which is a different spin on the same thing
I’ll judge us this season over a bigger run of games myself
It's not an overreaction. I'm not actually reacting as such, just calling out that our consistency under Postecoglu has been terrible since the Chelsea home game last year. Its a fact that if our first 7 games of form is repeated across the season we end up on 50 to 54 points, which would be our worst league performance in 15 years. Now i wouldnt normally mention that as teams recover from poor starts but the context of this being a continuation from last season is the worrying thing. I.e. i have no confidence that this is simply a bad start on the road to something better. I just think we are going to win one, lose one all season. I'm not buying the won 5 in the last 6 either because 3 of those 5 wins were against very poor quality opposition (and in two of them.we were extremely fortunate to win).

Here we go. Blame Ange for the players messing up routine one on ones and refusing to compete. I will call him out when I think he should be called out but today's result was on the players. Disgusting.
What about standing there with his hands in his pockets not having made any subs when even Stevie Wonder could see we needed to change things up?
That's not on Ange?

That mind set is worrying, do we think Pep cares they didnt deserve to win yesterday?
It's an atrocious quote. He's basically saying he was so upset with the way we played in the second half that he didn't want to make subs to try and salvage the game, he'd rather lose and wallow in the failure ....or what on earth is he actually trying to say if he isnt saying that?

Ange worded that VERY poorly when he says he doesn't care about subs.

What he meant was, it doesn't matter if you make 5 subs if all the players are completely lacking in fight, don't win their personal battles, don't have the desire to do the dirty work.

However, most of us probably feel that (a) it is part of his job to instil that desire and (b) perhaps the subs would change the game dynamic, give fresh legs, change formation and definitely don't just keep spiralling downwards with no changes.

I believe Ange stands there, hands in pockets, thinking, not changing anything, because he wants to see what happens, he wants to see which players stand up, which fold, which need selling, which have hope for the future etc, so it is like some big science experiment where he just coldly stares at that car crash and watches the airbags explode in slow motion and thinks "a-ha, interesting" as bodies get smashed to pieces.

It's an atrocious quote. He's basically saying he was so upset with the way we played in the second half that he didn't want to make subs to try and salvage the game, he'd rather lose and wallow in the failure ....or what on earth is he actually trying to say if he isnt saying that?
That’s not how I read it
I read it that our level had dropped so much that making subs may have made no difference
MOTD2 did a good analysis on the drop in levels

He's looking for a warm welcome for the next game against Spammers.

That’s not how I read it
I read it that our level had dropped so much that making subs may have made no difference
MOTD2 did a good analysis on the drop in levels
It may have? Thing is you've got two choices when everything is going to s***:
- try to do something to sort it (everything may still go to s***)
- do nothing and watch it all go to s***
Ange chose the latter option, which is a worry in itself but some of these post match presser meltdowns are also quite worrying. He's more and more resembling a grumpy aussie version of Kevin Keegan by the day.

It may have? Thing is you've got two choices when everything is going to s***:
- try to do something to sort it (everything may still go to s***)
- do nothing and watch it all go to s***
Ange chose the latter option, which is a worry in itself but some of these post match presser meltdowns are also quite worrying. He's more and more resembling a grumpy aussie version of Kevin Keegan by the day.
I think everything lost match is an over reaction
At half time I had mates going this is the best football they had seen and after the game, were doomed
Anges post match presers ever when we win aren’t positive from what little I’ve seen of them
I agree with the dinted, if it’s how I read it, that making subs may not have been the answer. We will never know

I don't even know where to begin if this is a real quote.
I get what he is saying. If it were as easy as “make some subs” then maybe we should all have a try at this football management lark. Bielsa made a post-match comment a couple of years ago along the lines of “everyone thinks the solution is the one that hasn’t been tried yet”. He was right.

Back