• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Welcome Ange: To Dare is to Didgeridoo

They've 7 outfield players behind the ball when VdV wins it. You also have a massive gap between Dalot and De Ligt that VdV strolls through. Man U were anything but compact.

I'll take your word on their game plan but I didn't pick that up from watching the game. I struggled to understand exactly what they were trying to do. Even on the second goal, we end up with 4 against 3 or 4 of their players. I'm not taking away from how good we were but if United were trying to be compact and play counter attacking football we'll encounter teams this season that do it a hundred times more effectively. Those games will be a better test of where we are under Ange.

Their plan was to play a mid block in a 4-4-2, a few analysis post game go through it, a few big issues
- Front two basically were too far from midfield 4, left Bentancur constantly open between the lines
- Front two didn't press (didn't have a trigger to press), that allowed our back two to consistently get the ball to Bentancur or FBs which (because their front two were so high) instantly created an overload behind them, that Overload then passed on.
- We also (see diagram in match thread) pressed so effectively it killed their ability to counter (they either had no pass on or we intercepted lots)

United has been one of the best counter attacking teams in the country under ETH, it's literally the only thing they have, that's why they have 2 FA Cups and have actually beaten good teams.

His post match interview he stated that in training Ange emphasized the threat United would have is the counter, and that everyone needed to be aware, and yes, it's the most I've seen Johnson defend, one he cleared a ball in the box, great awareness

That is an utter hindsight statement, United is exactly the type of side we are worse suited for, they don't care about possession, happy in that mid-block, habit of raising their game for top opponents, they are best suited for counter/transitions and have the pace/individual quality to hurt you. That first half was extraordinary, if you didn't know you would have said we were playing a side two leagues below.

I don't think Ange has anything to prove on the system on a per game scenario, the sterner test is consistency, this system works, and when it works well it's capable of results like against United. Can we get this to work more games than not? can we get this to play out in a cup run?

I will say that I said IF we stuck with the Deki/Maddison/Bentancur midfield up there we'd prevail. I felt Utd were the PERFECT side for us to go at, simply because they lack any identity whatsoever. They get stuck in the worst 'mid-block do-we-don't-we' situations, and don't have a clear philosophy to make decisive decisions.

I am interested in how Brighton shape up, because they just got their 'high line' handed to them on a plate. If they lack courage and conviction, we could again have great success. A fast, early start there would be especially helpful.

My question is how many times in his life (boy to man) has Dragu found himself in a position where he has no "out-ball" to either full-back? Would his body shape been the same if he knew it was either keeper or take the man on? I think we have to remember that one year ago, this kid was playing on the right of a back three. I think these positions he finds himself in Ange-ball are alien to him. They won't be for too long.

Yes, he messed up and probably got a hug from his manager. He'll know next time to give it to Venom and receive it in a wide area and keep the ball moving.

For me, his biggest mistake was not the first error but the choice he made to try and rectify it. His man was heading outside; just shepherd/harrass him into continuing that direction!

Their plan was to play a mid block in a 4-4-2, a few analysis post game go through it, a few big issues
- Front two basically were too far from midfield 4, left Bentancur constantly open between the lines
- Front two didn't press (didn't have a trigger to press), that allowed our back two to consistently get the ball to Bentancur or FBs which (because their front two were so high) instantly created an overload behind them, that Overload then passed on.
- We also (see diagram in match thread) pressed so effectively it killed their ability to counter (they either had no pass on or we intercepted lots)

United has been one of the best counter attacking teams in the country under ETH, it's literally the only thing they have, that's why they have 2 FA Cups and have actually beaten good teams.

In fairness, they have that second one because the ref fudged Coventry in the SF...

Back