• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Welcome Ange: To Dare is to Didgeridoo

we are dominating games with "cheap possession" - by that i mean with quantity of bodies but (1) at risk of a counter and (2) without the tactics and technique to score against a fully packed defence.

so far, not at all a fan of angeball, I prefer redknapps brand of football where players were playing out of their skin (bale, vdv, modric, even pavlyuchenko).

not calling for the change now, but when the time comes, i think nagelsmann would be able to continue with this group of players with his emphasis on wing play.

He didn't want to come to us back when we had better players than we do now. And Levy reportedly didn't want a diva like Nagelsmann after the Mou and Conte affairs. Which is why we got a pleasant, if mediocre, yes-man in Postecoglou.

Plus, I'd question if this wing play we're focused on is any good. The key is if the new manager sees Udogie and Porro as wing-backs sticking to the line - if he does that, we'll likely do well, because they can do what they do best, and Sonny can revert to being an inside forward, which is what he does best.

Bonus points if we switch to 3 at the back, because I think we're built for it with Dragusin, Romero and Van de Ven.

But, all academic. Postecoglou will get time and he'll continue doing a roughly mediocre job.

He never said anything about Chelsea did he? Just that he would never manage Woolwich or Barcelona.

He never said he wouldn't manage Chelsea. Did say he would never manage Arsenal or Barcelona (having been an Espanyol and Spurs man). He's kept his word on that.

You're entitled to your views, but in my experience Poch is one of the most honest and honorable men I've seen at the helm of Spurs in my lifetime.

You are both right he didn’t, but as I see it, you either have principles or you don’t, and Chelsea go hand in hand with our other rivals, arsenal, Liverpool, Leeds, Leicester, West Ham, Fulham, city, forest, Everton, Sheffield Wednesdays, Coventry, Burnley, Portsmouth, Sheffield United, Ipswich, Brentford, Bradford, notts county, Oldham, United, wolves, villa, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Southampton, etc etc

The spiral of decline? Let’s just give it time.
Time = at least this season and possibly next.
There’s no way he’ll get next season if it continues like it has for almost a year now. He’d be lucky to see out this one tbh. It’s not as if it’s even good to watch.

Hoping he can turn it around, but I’m not at all convinced. He’s too stubborn.

There’s no way he’ll get next season if it continues like it has for almost a year now. He’d be lucky to see out this one tbh. It’s not as if it’s even good to watch.

Hoping he can turn it around, but I’m not at all convinced. He’s too stubborn.
There were Ange out calls and Fat Aussie clown shoe when I left the south

There were Ange out calls and Fat Aussie clown shoe when I left the south
Ridiculous four games in, but I do get the sense it’s starting to simmer. It’s the style of play more than the results for me. There’s nothing to really rouse any passion. I just feel disconnected watching it.

Ridiculous four games in, but I do get the sense it’s starting to simmer. It’s the style of play more than the results for me. There’s nothing to really rouse any passion. I just feel disconnected watching it.
I think the majority of the fans were all behind Ange at the end of last season, however a decent chunk were only just given the form/tactics/errors, so if we started badly they would turn quickly this season

It’a not just four games, we’ve picked up where we left off last season, same selections mostly, same insipid performances.

It’s only four games this season, but three of them have been against absolute garbage, the other against a team in a supposed injury crisis.

Would take a lot of spin to make the start of a season a positive.

Anges biggest issue is the team looks the same as last season
That means no change for the fans or the opposition
He had the younger players flying pre season and we haven’t seen them since. Their energy alone can change things

Agreed. He really needs to do a Poch and just unleash Bergvall, Gray, Spence, Moore et al for a few games. Even if they don't do well, they offer energy and bravery, and we need both.

Poch got time in part because he threw Mason, Bentaleb, Rose and Harry into the mix in his first season, giving them a consistent chance (after Sherwood started it, to be fair to him). Fan expectations tempered as a result. Young team, inconsistent, it's natural.

Starting Maddison every game, Bissouma/Bentancur every game, Porro every game, is not doing him any favours right now. New blood might.

Agreed. He really needs to do a Poch and just unleash Bergvall, Gray, Spence, Moore et al for a few games. Even if they don't do well, they offer energy and bravery, and we need both.

Poch got time in part because he threw Mason, Bentaleb, Rose and Harry into the mix in his first season, giving them a consistent chance (after Sherwood started it, to be fair to him). Fan expectations tempered as a result. Young team, inconsistent, it's natural.

Starting Maddison every game, Bissouma/Bentancur every game, Porro every game, is not doing him any favours right now. New blood might.
Porro is fine for me
But son… Maddison… Romero
All have able deputies who I think deserve a chance

Problem with that approach, is that it could have a long term detrimental affect on those players if things continue to go tits up.

Anges biggest issue is the team looks the same as last season
That means no change for the fans or the opposition
He had the younger players flying pre season and we haven’t seen them since. Their energy alone can change things
i think ange's biggest issue is not leveraging on the player's strengths.
then he has his favourites, not as ruthless as he makes himself out to be
followed by not having a plan b or c - changing things up with other players (played to their complementary strengths).

conte knew how to get the most out of son - golden boot and kane - defending headers as an example, in a very poor attacking team.

angeball may be good at the international level (where defences are not well drilled) or in the scottish league (wide dispersion of quality across teams), but its difficult to watch in the Epl where it looks reckless and naive.

Porro is fine for me
But son… Maddison… Romero
All have able deputies who I think deserve a chance

Not for me. He doesn't offer enough attacking-wise to make up for his defensive weaknesses, which he hasn't really rectified.

He's fine as the wing-back in a side with a somewhat lower line. He might even excel there - if he's given license to cross from out wide with a three man backline covering for him, I think he'd be outstanding.

Being asked to play an inside full back role in this system doesn't seem to suit him. To be fair, I don't think it would suit most players - we need someone both ridiculously fast to be able to get forward and back whenever we're exposed, and strong enough to win his physical duels. Porro is neither, and I'd be inclined to give Spence a chance.

Problem with that approach, is that it could have a long term detrimental affect on those players if things continue to go tits up.

I don't think so. It's the invincibility of youth - you don't tend to get as down about things, and there's an optimism about the future that allows you to overcome setbacks. Even if things go tits up, playing regularly will help them far more than if we meander along (like now) and they only see the pitch once every five games.

Not for me. He doesn't offer enough attacking-wise to make up for his defensive weaknesses, which he hasn't really rectified.

He's fine as the wing-back in a side with a somewhat lower line. He might even excel there - if he's given license to cross from out wide with a three man backline covering for him, I think he'd be outstanding.

Being asked to play an inside full back role in this system doesn't seem to suit him. To be fair, I don't think it would suit most players - we need someone both ridiculously fast to be able to get forward and back whenever we're exposed, and strong enough to win his physical duels. Porro is neither, and I'd be inclined to give Spence a chance.
He is our best passer
It’s why I’d start him every time
He switches play in a way the rest dream of

i think ange's biggest issue is not leveraging on the player's strengths.
then he has his favourites, not as ruthless as he makes himself out to be
followed by not having a plan b or c - changing things up with other players (played to their complementary strengths).

conte knew how to get the most out of son - golden boot and kane - defending headers as an example, in a very poor attacking team.

angeball may be good at the international level (where defences are not well drilled) or in the scottish league (wide dispersion of quality across teams), but its difficult to watch in the Epl where it looks reckless and naive.
Conte ball was long ball counter attacking
Son thrived in a team without the ball
That’s not the team now

I don't think so. It's the invincibility of youth - you don't tend to get as down about things, and there's an optimism about the future that allows you to overcome setbacks. Even if things go tits up, playing regularly will help them far more than if we meander along (like now) and they only see the pitch once every five games.

not seeing much of that in Johnson

Back