• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Welcome Ange: To Dare is to Didgeridoo

It's shortsighted imo. It's a tired comparison, but look at the gooner clams who were in a similarly dire state went their manager took over. We look further ahead of them
At what point do we say that is enough time? I get your point and if we were showing improvement I would agree, we are not and more frustratingly Ange does not seem to want to, or be able to change and tweak

At what point do we say that is enough time? I get your point and if we were showing improvement I would agree, we are not and more frustratingly Ange does not seem to want to, or be able to change and tweak
We are dominating games much more than the end of last season. Let's see if we're destined to continue getting pumped on the counter and set pieces or if we can turn that dominance into victories. I can't tell personally but surely it deserves more time

We are dominating games much more than the end of last season. Let's see if we're destined to continue getting pumped on the counter and set pieces or if we can turn that dominance into victories. I can't tell personally but surely it deserves more time

I don’t think we are. I think teams let us have the ball as they know we are soft on the break and brick from set pieces.

Arsenal created nothing today, won comfortably.

I don’t think we are. I think teams let us have the ball as they know we are soft on the break and brick from set pieces.

Arsenal created nothing today, won comfortably.
I'd agree that we still look toothless. If we can convert dominance of possession into goals we will be one of the best teams in the country, if not then we will continue to be this brick. I think we should hold our nerve

He dominated in an era where his approach was different. Now all of the top teams have a similar style

Surely if he's available now he'll be available in 12 months. Why not see out this project?

He won't be available before 2026 - he was signed to coach them through to their World Cup on home soil in 2026, and that isn't going to change because he's given them his word on that.

Our first chance to re-sign Poch came after sacking Conte - we instead went with a mediocre journeyman fresh off stints in Scotland, Japan and Australia, and Poch went Chels.

Our second chance was this summer after Chels sacked him. We chose to stick with said journeyman and Poch went to America. Now it's at least 2026 until we can sign him again, if nothing unexpected happens.

As for Poch's tactics only working when the league was unused to them, fair point. He revolutionized the league with high pressing, and you could trace a falloff in our effectiveness as the league adapted to that and people like Klopp and Guardiola came in and did it better with better players.

But, as a counterpoint - he had Chels humming at the end of his tenure there, and had the season lasted 1-2 more games they would have finished above us, guaranteed. As it is they came agonizingly close, while also having very deep runs to contend with. Seems to me there's still a good coach there.

I feel you, but it is what it is mate. We aren't sacking him unless we're in the bottom half, and we will pick up just enough wins to stay in and around the top six.
We’re currently 13th, having played 50% of our games against sides which are relegation favourites. It’s definitely early days, but this is a follow-on from our form from the second half of last season, which would have had us finishing around 10th/11th if the league had started in November iirc. (I know that is a seemingly meaningless statistic, but it is indicative of where our form has been for the guts of a year).

Add Europe into the mix this year and I’m not sure top 6 is anywhere near guaranteed.

He dominated in an era where his approach was different. Now all of the top teams have a similar style

Surely if he's available now he'll be available in 12 months. Why not see out this project?
He was still the most impressive manager in the league last season in terms of making progress.

I just dont see Ange turning it around now, the spiral of decline has set in. We're playing less than the sum of our parts and left praying that Richarlison comes back to save us.

He won't be available before 2026 - he was signed to coach them through to their World Cup on home soil in 2026, and that isn't going to change because he's given them his word on that.

Our first chance to re-sign Poch came after sacking Conte - we instead went with a mediocre journeyman fresh off stints in Scotland, Japan and Australia, and Poch went Chels.

Our second chance was this summer after Chels sacked him. We chose to stick with said journeyman and Poch went to America. Now it's at least 2026 until we can sign him again, if nothing unexpected happens.

As for Poch's tactics only working when the league was unused to them, fair point. He revolutionized the league with high pressing, and you could trace a falloff in our effectiveness as the league adapted to that and people like Klopp and Guardiola came in and did it better with better players.

But, as a counterpoint - he had Chels humming at the end of his tenure there, and had the season lasted 1-2 more games they would have finished above us, guaranteed. As it is they came agonizingly close, while also having very deep runs to contend with. Seems to me there's still a good coach there.
He’d bin that off in a heartbeat if he got offered a job in proper football.

They havent got the players to even get out of their group. Canada are a better side at the moment. He might as well be coaching the UAE national team.

They havent got the players to even get out of their group. Canada are a better side at the moment. He might as well be coaching the UAE national team.

I agree, and being Canadian I don't mind that situation. ;) But he will be there to coach them at that group stage, at a minimum. So, engaged until 2026.

He’d bin that off in a heartbeat if he got offered a job in proper football.

He's a man of his word mate. He gave them his word, he isn't going back on it.

Man doesn't even have an agent, so it's even more important for him to honor his commitments.

He was still the most impressive manager in the league last season in terms of making progress.

I just dont see Ange turning it around now, the spiral of decline has set in. We're playing less than the sum of our parts and left praying that Richarlison comes back to save us.
The spiral of decline? Let’s just give it time.
Time = at least this season and possibly next.

we are dominating games with "cheap possession" - by that i mean with quantity of bodies but (1) at risk of a counter and (2) without the tactics and technique to score against a fully packed defence.

so far, not at all a fan of angeball, I prefer redknapps brand of football where players were playing out of their skin (bale, vdv, modric, even pavlyuchenko).

not calling for the change now, but when the time comes, i think nagelsmann would be able to continue with this group of players with his emphasis on wing play.

I agree, and being Canadian I don't mind that situation. ;) But he will be there to coach them at that group stage, at a minimum. So, engaged until 2026.

He's a man of his word mate. He gave them his word, he isn't going back on it.

Man doesn't even have an agent, so it's even more important for him to honor his commitments.

He said a lot of things when he managed us.

Still took the Chelsea job.

No one in football is a man of their word.

He’s not the answer anyway, enough pollination of knowledge in the game for players to know what happened last time.

He said a lot of things when he managed us.

Still took the Chelsea job.

No one in football is a man of their word.

He never said he wouldn't manage Chelsea. Did say he would never manage Arsenal or Barcelona (having been an Espanyol and Spurs man). He's kept his word on that.

You're entitled to your views, but in my experience Poch is one of the most honest and honorable men I've seen at the helm of Spurs in my lifetime.

Back