• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Vincent Janssen

Remember when Eriksen pinged a 573 yard pass through the eye of a needle, past 13 CSKA players and Alli just had to get a touch on it and divert it home... he fluffed it.
Remember when Vertonghen should have headed it off the pitch but chose to head it perfectly to an onrushing CSKA attacker, who ballooned it over?
Tiny margins, every player had good and bad moments, it is not really worth dissecting every touch. Janssen did OK for me, he occupied players but when there are 8 players in 8 yards, what can you do really?

If it was Janssen not Son who took too long and fluffed his second chance (after the goal) people would be castigating him. Janssen had one really good chance which he had to take first time, it went wide. He just needs confidence, if you're fluid, not over thinking, those ones fly in. Only his second start leading the line! Without Kane.

His finish on the one disallowed for offside was delightful too.

Good point, son had what 3 three chances and fluffed two and really the keeper made a fudge of the goal rather than being a good finish.

He's doing enough for the team as well. Just want some more confident movement from him. Winning the game against City would be a nice way to hit form. Poch taking him off around 60 is a positive in a way, as I think he wants to start him on the weekend - if so Janssen's 3rd start in a week.

hahahahahaha, i love the clutching of straws, i bet he scores "blinding" goals on the training pitch as well.

To be fair to the slow donkey, a couple of good dinks and passes but his overall play as a goalscorer is poor. He has terrible spatial awareness, he was offside too many times to mention and he wasn't passed to a lot because he clearly didn't know where the last man was. On 58 minutes, he had a sitter, just needed to slide it in, but touch of a rapist where it matters again.
No surprise he was the first man subbed, and the moment Nkodou came in, we saw pace and energy which this guy patently doesn't have.
Mr B there is no need to be so disparaging about a player this early in his Spurs career. You may be right he may turn out not to be good enough,( I don't believe that will be the case btw), but surely it is worth giving him some support until he has had a reasonable time to settle in? He looks to me like a player who is trying too hard at the moment consequently he is snatching at chances or making those runs slightly too early. At least while he is not scoring his hold up play is contributing to making chances for team mates. I hope he scores a goal from open play on Sunday as it will help his confidence no end.

Tend to agree @Robspur12 on all points.

For me it brings into sharp focus the decline of the Dutch leagues and this is my main criticism towards Vincent's arrival at Spurs. The lad is busting a gut trying do well for the club, no one can deny this.
If he had arrived from say a Brentford or a Leeds we would have lower expectations. But wonder if we would have purchased a championship player, not sure.

Now he is a Spurs player we support him.

I just don't get why a player's performance either has to be tinkle poor or amazing. 99 % of all performances are in between.

Janssen was ok last night. Plenty of room for improvement, as well as a bit of good involvement too.

I find this negativity shocking tbh, he's playing well isn't he? Creating chances for the team? Not scared of having a shot himself, etc.

I don't understand what the unimpressed posters are watching or what they expected? A goal a game striker at the level of Aguero, Ronaldo or messi?! Completely unrealistic, we essentially bought a back up number 9 with decent potential for about 15m, I think he's fully lived up to that so far, I'm very happy with him and I've no doubt Poch is to.

Amazing how some are on this KIDS back, it was not his best game for us last night but he still did enough to help us win the game. Said it before but for those who missed it ( or ignored the message) he is a KID playing in a different country and in a MUCH more Harder/faster/physical game.

Amazing how some are on this KIDS back, it was not his best game for us last night but he still did enough to help us win the game. Said it before but for those who missed it ( or ignored the message) he is a KID playing in a different country and in a MUCH more Harder/faster/physical game.

He's holding his own too. I worry his head can drop, he needs to keep positive as he is doing pretty well, all things considered.

He's holding his own too. I worry his head can drop, he needs to keep positive as he is doing pretty well, all things considered.

It is a worry, i only hope that he does not take notice of some of the macarons at the Lane ( one who was sat not far from me last game) who was giving him stick.

I think from what i have seen so far there is a lot of promise in his overall game.

It is a worry, i only hope that he does not take notice of some of the macarons at the Lane ( one who was sat not far from me last game) who was giving him stick.

I think from what i have seen so far there is a lot of promise in his overall game.

My worry is his confidence. As you rightly point out, he is just a kid playing in a different country and at a much higher level.However, his confidence won't have been helped by Poch subbing him off in the last two games. Whilst it was undoubtedly the right decision for the team, he must obviously have been disappointed. I hope he scores soon from open play and goes on to have a stellar career for Spurs.

This is why he is having to bust a gut every game just to keep up. I feel for the lad I really do. The jump in quality of the player around him now is huge.
I'm wondering whether playing Onomah a little more may ease his workload.

My worry is his confidence. As you rightly point out, he is just a kid playing in a different country and at a much higher level.However, his confidence won't have been helped by Poch subbing him off in the last two games. Whilst it was undoubtedly the right decision for the team, he must obviously have been disappointed. I hope he scores soon from open play and goes on to have a stellar career for Spurs.

He's only being subbed off because he will start the next game and it doesn't look he has the stamina for 90 minutes at full throttle yet.

He's only being subbed off because he will start the next game and it doesn't look he has the stamina for 90 minutes at full throttle yet.

I know the rationale, but being subbed can feel like a vote of no confidence by the manager. That is my fear.

There is the 'confidence' dilemma, let him work and work and struggle with fatigue which will compound the problem. Or sub him and knock his confidence.

It will always be team first from Poch of course.

We know that but does the player....he will be told that of course but we all react to the little voice going 'oh not again' etc.

By scoring goals is the obvious answer, but imo Harry can get over eager and shoot when it's not the best option.
Well I disagree profoundly, simply because of the number of times he scores when by rights most fans would say he should have passed to someone supposedly better placed rather than take a pop. Point is we never know before he hits the bloody thing which shot is going to result in a goal and which is going to hit the corner flag. But it's clear, especially with Harry, that the more pops he has the more goals he scores. That's his game; take it away and you not only stunt the Leagues's most prolific scorer but also in all probability wind up with us missing out on a CL place or something.

Remember Harry is our most prolific scorer since Jimmy Greaves. Fifty years ago! That is one hell of an achievement and one we should be celebrating to the gods every single day.

So I say buy into his trigger-happy tendency and make the most of it whilst it lasts. Otherwise he may end up trigger-happily banging them in for some other top side instead.

read the final post - I went to loo in mid type

I think substitutions aren't fully taken advantage of as a tactic. The starters in forward positions should be told to run their socks off if you're a high pressing side with an early sub planned to keep intensity up. If they don't agree, they don't start.

Back