• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer speculation

We absolutely need another senior RB. Ideally one who will play effectively as a wing back as well. No question in my mind.

KWP proved he can do a job, and that in time he could be a regular player, but not that we could use him for a run of games if need be.

And not awash with money? Havent we taken in about £75m this window without spending yet? £20m on a player as highly rated as him to replace Walker is good business IMO.

The only real concern is his apparent attitude issue.

Personally, I'd go with Trippier and KWP for this season, with Dier as and emergency back-up. Then if Trippier doesnt step up, or KWP doesnt look lik emaking it, sign a RB next summer. Otherwise you risk being over-loaded at RB in the event that those two do progress as we'd hope.

In terms of the cash, I'm assuming we spend £35m on Sanchez and £25m on Barkley - those are very public so thats £60m of the £75m gone. The Diop chap from Spain is another £10m if thats true which based on the level of rumours and detailed of them, I assume they are true. So unless we get shot of Sissoko or Rose, we're more or less in balance with those three deals and as is pointed out many many times on here, we have a track record of zero net spend over a number of years. I'm assuming we dont break that this summer

Personally, I'd go with Trippier and KWP for this season, with Dier as and emergency back-up. Then if Trippier doesnt step up, or KWP doesnt look lik emaking it, sign a RB next summer. Otherwise you risk being over-loaded at RB in the event that those two do progress as we'd hope. In terms of the cash, I'm assuming we spend £35m on Sanchez and £25m on Barkley - those are very public so thats £60m of the £75m gone. The Diop chap from Spain is another £10m if thats true which based on the level of rumours and detailed of them, I assume they are true. So unless we get shot of Sissoko or Rose, we're more or less in balance with those three deals and as is pointed out many many times on here, we have a track record of zero net spend over a number of years. I'm assuming we dont break that this summer

I dont see KWP as anywhere near ready for a full season of football in a club chasing the title and playing in the CL. Not even close, as good as his debut was.

And I would much rather settle Dier into midfield than keep using him as utility. As much as he can do a job, he isnt the sort of player we really need at RB, he is a "it'll do" option.

Its all to compromised, especially compared to the alternative of having a very good RB as an option to really push Trippier and offer genuine like for like cover.

Looking at your sums, with Aurier, we would have a net spend of £15m. Far, far from unreasonable or unrealistic. Really not a deal breaker at all. And thats IF this Diop guy is a goer, if not then its only £5m.

Levy has proven 0 net spend is not a limiting factor in the past. Redknapps first window was £40m as I recal, there have been others too.

We are in a rare position. We could, realistically, win the league this year. This is uncharted territory for us, and I dont think Levy would jeapordise it by refusing £15m net spend.

And I think NOT having a top quality RB in the squad is of any benefit at all, quite the opposite.

I dont see KWP as anywhere near ready for a full season of football in a club chasing the title and playing in the CL. Not even close, as good as his debut was.

And I would much rather settle Dier into midfield than keep using him as utility. As much as he can do a job, he isnt the sort of player we really need at RB, he is a "it'll do" option.

Its all to compromised, especially compared to the alternative of having a very good RB as an option to really push Trippier and offer genuine like for like cover.

Looking at your sums, with Aurier, we would have a net spend of £15m. Far, far from unreasonable or unrealistic. Really not a deal breaker at all. And thats IF this Diop guy is a goer, if not then its only £5m.

Levy has proven 0 net spend is not a limiting factor in the past. Redknapps first window was £40m as I recal, there have been others too.

We are in a rare position. We could, realistically, win the league this year. This is uncharted territory for us, and I dont think Levy would jeapordise it by refusing £15m net spend.

And I think NOT having a top quality RB in the squad is of any benefit at all, quite the opposite.

Agree about Dier and actually using him in his best position. To be honest, I dont see either situation (ie signing a £20m replacement for Walker or not doing so) as ideal and both have risks in them.

Redknapps' first window that Jan when we signed Palacios, Defoe and Keane (from memory) was an unusual situation - we were near the bottom, barely had a CF at the club and didnt have a DM. I'm not sure its a viable precedent. The financial situation is all guess work really as none of us are close enough to the detail and even those of us from a financial background and used to analysing businesses are guessing at the numbers

Now you've done it.

source.gif

if we sign aurier, and he isnt a mental nutter, he will take trippier's first team place. for the price it's a goer if we can handle him

Agree about Dier and actually using him in his best position. To be honest, I dont see either situation (ie signing a £20m replacement for Walker or not doing so) as ideal and both have risks in them.

Redknapps' first window that Jan when we signed Palacios, Defoe and Keane (from memory) was an unusual situation - we were near the bottom, barely had a CF at the club and didnt have a DM. I'm not sure its a viable precedent. The financial situation is all guess work really as none of us are close enough to the detail and even those of us from a financial background and used to analysing businesses are guessing at the numbers

Of course, no one really knows. Even after the event we often still have no idea what or why things did or didnt happen.

I do find your reluctance to strengthen a position where we have only one senior player odd, if Im honest, but its not like either of us have the absolute right answer.

The point RE that window, was that if he needs to Levy will spend. Yes, we were in trouble and needed to act - but - you could apply a similar urgency to now with a potential title within our grasp.

Either way, Im sure all will be revealed. Ultimately I personally hope a good RB comes in, and I certainly wont worry about it if it costs £20m. In todays market thats a bargain!

We definitely need another RB, the thing is Aurier is of the calibre that I'd expect him to be number 1 and where does that then leave Trippier. Given we will play 60 odd games then there's plenty to share around if Poch wants frequent rotation. I guess we have KWP so we didn't want to buy another youngster but be interesting to see how he fits in. From what I've seen he's more Walker in style which would allow us to keep the width and pace of the full backs like last season and have a narrower midfield.

I do find your reluctance to strengthen a position where we have only one senior player odd, if Im honest, but its not like either of us have the absolute right answer.

It's just priorities and our likely cash to be honest. I think we're desperately short at CB so that's priority 1, and also think we need more cover for Dembele given he's started to pick up niggly injuries, just turned 30 and it was noticeable in the second half of last season how Poch was nursing him through the season. So that means Barkley is priority 2 and with Sanchez means £60m spent. After those two, the main other signing I think we could do with is an attacker with proper pace or skill to be able to beat his man (and someone first team ready, rather than GKN)....though whether that would be prioritised over a RB is in my mind somewhat in balance.

Up to a week or so ago I wanted us to sign a RB probably rather than another attacker however Poch having sufficient faith in KWP to play him against Saudi Sportswashing Machine swung my view. But the main priorities for me are the two above, and after that it's a close call - if we can sign 4 players then yes, definitely get a RB

I got a feeling Sergei aurier might not happen.........

1/ i thought Poch really tried to steer clear of boat rockers/group dynamic grenades and 2/ (and i mean this) the Spurs supporting public's reaction would have been noted. (it's a bit of a sh*tstorm)

Apart from dusting up a copper is there anything else that we may be weary of?

People grow up and moved on. To be fair you do meet some smug coppers that you wish got a hiding ... not that I'm justifying it in any way.

Oh, man, the handshake thing is doing my head in. It's gotten to a point where it just looks silly.

Back