• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer speculation

Get French Football‏@GFFN 1m1 minute ago
Tottenham Hotspur lead the race for Serge Aurier - the situation http://goo.gl/NQG2og

Tottenham Hotspur lead the race for Serge Aurier

L’Équipe report today that Premier League outfit Tottenham Hotspur lead the race to sign Ivorian international right-back Serge Aurier.

Daniel Levy has reached a deal with the player’s entourage for a 5-year, lucrative contract, the finer details need to be fleshed out, but an agreement has been reached at 95% between the two parties.

Once a provisional contract has been totally tied up, Tottenham will open negotiations with PSG, who want around €25m for the player.

Chelsea have also approached the player’s people, with Antonio Conte a fan. The Premier League champions have not gone any further than an enquiry at this stage.

Contacts with Manchester United are a bit less concrete. That does not mean to say that the Red Devils have not informed PSG of their interest in the Ivorian, but that any deal with Manchester United is more complicated: many intermediaries are seeking to get involved in a potential deal like this, not least Mino Raiola.

In Italy, Serge Aurier has provisional contract agreements with Inter Milan and Juventus.

Juve do not have room for another non-EU player, and therefore have made the following proposal: to purchase Aurier now before loaning him out until January, which is something that the player is not particularly interested in.

Inter Milan are not very liquid at the moment, and had been hoping to do an exchange with PSG for Joao Mario, something that Les Parisiens rebuffed fairly quickly.

€25m is the price, PSG must rid of Aurier soon, it is a top priority of theirs.

The player’s priority is the Premier League.

Funny that in an article linking him to three English clubs it doesn't mention that he may be banned from entering the country?

Unless that has changed...

I don't know, wouldn't all the international weekends during the season be freed up? You could make the league season more compact and still have time for holidays. I'm not suggesting more matches, just grouping them differently.

often wondered whether a similar setup could be used for European competition - no midweek european games throughout the season and instead hold a World Cup/Euro Championship style club tournament in the summer

I suppose there is the fact the real world just doesnt really apply to footballers.

Im sure something would be done behind the scenes to facilitate a permit.

Im more concerned at the idea of him being a destabalising influence on the team.

The squad harmony is one of our great strengths, would a character like his fit in? (Same goes for Balde as well)

Given it appears that we're now making moves for some half decent players, whats the odds that we just end up with Gazzaniga (or whatever his name is)?!?

Im still unclear as to why we are even going for him. Vorm is probably the best back up in the league, who even worries too much about 3rd choice keepers?

Cant we even get an emergency loan as well for a keeper?

So does the problem lie with the player or the fans/media?

If this isn't the case in other countries (and I'm led to believe it's not), then why should it be here? After all, the success of English teams on both the domestic and international level leaves a lot to be desired. Shouldn't we be trying to emulate the way in which other countries are both more successful and often more entertaining?
It doesn't matter where the problem lies really, as things stand it manifests itself in players like Paulinho not being a success here and probably more importantly, not having the appetite to stay and try to make it work.

Yet given a bit of time he turned into an irritatingly efficient player.

You're assuming Barkley can make a step up mentally, why can't Paulinho?
Perhaps he could've? I think the difference might be that he didn't want to? Pires stayed and forced himself to toughen up. Paulinho didn't stick around to try to do the same thing. Maybe he wasn't going to get the opportunity to do so or maybe he didn't want to do so. I really would question the mentality of any player in his prime who is prepared to move to China however. It suggests to me that the player lacks a bit of competitive spirit.

edited my previous post and its on the previous page so will repost here to follow on...

would we be happy with Sessegnon Barkley Martial and Sanchez in, with Rose and Walker being the ones who made way?

should more or less be even on the net spend front

weaker at full back potentially but with two young Rose/Walker types in reserve so long term prospects good

stronger at CB and in turn allowing Dier more freedom to cover/rotate with Wanyama/Dembele without having to shift around the team should one of them become injured/suspended

stronger in the attacking positions with some added pace and creativity.

would be a good window i think, though i am loathe to lose Rose who i rate as one of our best players and one who typifies the Pochettino regime (outburst aside)
Martial is very unlikely I'd say. Man Utd will not dare sell to us and I would imagine his wages at Man Utd are already past those we pay to Kane. Balde at Lazio is a viable alternative to Martial however. Fast, skillful and explosive. Transfer fee would be lower than Martial's and wages would also be lower.

Perhaps he could've? I think the difference might be that he didn't want to? Pires stayed and forced himself to toughen up. Paulinho didn't stick around to try to do the same thing. Maybe he wasn't going to get the opportunity to do so or maybe he didn't want to do so. I really would question the mentality of any player in his prime who is prepared to move to China however. It suggests to me that the player lacks a bit of competitive spirit.
His latest move would suggest that it was a clever thing to do. He's guaranteed himself some football and got a move of a lifetime.

His latest move would suggest that it was a clever thing to do. He's guaranteed himself some football and got a move of a lifetime.
Indeed.... I guess the question is whether that was luck or judgement. One has to question Barcelona's scouting a little here though if they are now paying 3.5 times what they could've got him for only a couple of years ago?

Indeed.... I guess the question is whether that was luck or judgement. One has to question Barcelona's scouting a little here though if they are now paying 3.5 times what they could've got him for only a couple of years ago?
Depending on how he does, Levy may have undersold him!

Well – after an incredibly slow start to the transfer window in terms of juicy rumours of incoming transfers for us, things seem to have exploded in the last couple of days.... Looks like we have been linked by various sources with all of the following:

GK. Paulo Gazzaniga. Southampton are completing the signing of a new 3rd choice keeper which should free him up to join us for about £2 million (I don’t understand why him and not Pau?)

LB/LWB: Ryan Sessegnon – stories of a bid of up to £25 million rejected by Fulham. Although other stories saying no bid has been made. Apparently we also have interest in his twin brother.

CH: Davinson Sanchez – we have bid about £25 million for him. Ajax apparently holding out for at least £36 million. Stories that Chelsea, Real Madrid and Barcelona are also all interested. Rumours that an initial £27 million, plus about £13 million of add-ons will appease Ajax and allow a deal.

RB/RWB: Ricardo Pereira – said to have a £22 million release clause at Porto. We have prior interest and had a scout at Porto’s last two games.

RB/RWB: Serge Aurier – stories in L’Equipe today that we have agreed personal terms with him and lead the race for his signature. However there are also stories that his entourage have agreed wages with Man Utd, Juventus and Inter Milan. Maybe he is keeping his options open hoping that a club can agree a fee with PSG? There is also the issue of him currently being banned from entering the UK due to an assault charge.

CM/AM: Pape Chiekh Diop – stories that Celta Vigo will accept about £9 million from us for the 20 year old Spanish midfielder. Lyon are also trying to sign him. (this one seems weird to me? Why are Vigo prepared to sell him for a third of his release clause?)

CM/AM: Ross Barkley – Seems that we are prepared to pay about £20 million. Everton want at least £35 million. The player would like to join us. The transfer has perhaps been complicated by him picking up an injury in training. I think this one will be a game of poker between us and Everton that will go right to the end of the transfer window.

LW/CF: Anthony Martial - £25 million bid rejected by Man Utd. Second bid is said to be expected. Surely Man Utd will not sell him to us though?

LW/CF: Keita Balde – Only a year left on his contract at Lazio and refusing to discuss a new one. We had interest a year ago and are sniffing around again. Lazio are apparently looking for about £25 million for him. Looks like the player is holding on for a move to Juventus though.

Any others I've missed?

Because English teams can't afford to rest their players and focus on Europe. The league is too competitive.
Right. Hahahaha! How many games where Messi, Neimar, Ronaldo, Modric etc rested last year? I haven't checked, but I bet they played every bit as much as players from other teams in Europe.

I did, and it was notable how well we were able to do that. Its the stuff of champions, and it impressed me.

It is something we have been improving on, however its hardly a common thing is it?

Back in my days of watching regular La Liga, any game invovling the top teams was basically a result before it even kicked off. Much like Scotland, people dont even bother turning up to play Celtic, they just go through the motions until the 90 minutes are up.

Barca/Real dont face full, frantic competition very often, IMO.

So even without resting players, most league games are extended training sessions.

Back