• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

Don't go there. The man is not for turning.

+ives
We turned it around today through determination and a never say die attitude. Chasing down all lost causes and getting/ making some breaks. I attribute that to Sherwood. Credit where its due.

-ives
We will not win a thing without a solid defensive foundation. Sherwood sets the team up and we've conceded goals too easily. benfica, chelsea, scum - all tough opponents granted and available personnel have not been great - but we are too exposed at the back time and again. Sometimes we get away with it, others we don't.

Southampton have a good shape and are comfortable passing the ball. There are always passes on, because of their shape. In comparison they showed up how lacking we are in those departments. Yes its hard to change things mid season, but from a new long term manager you'd expect us show some signs of having better shape and be able to pass the ball around. Sherwood has one area where he is mighty impressive. He is a natural problem solver. He comes into his own when there is trouble. Today I credit him with turning it around. But we need to be setup better. Whether he can do that, or if it is a case of having better players at his disposal, I don't know. I think we'll see a new manager next season. Hopefully Sherwood will stick around as he clearly has ability.

Great post sir

Let's see how we get on against Liverpool. If Tim Sherwood can get a result there, and negate their strike partnership, then who knows what he might achieve.
Strangely enough, we might just upset the media love in over Liverpool.....

Whoa lets not get carried away with this result. I can see glory glory going into melt down next week. I would love us to get a result but I can't see it really pool are clearly playing to a system a level above us.

Firstly, individual errors are becoming incredibly common under Timmeh - that would need closer examination though.

Secondly, if there's a weak point in your team you adjust your tactics (assuming you have any) to negate that weakness as much as possible.

So how would you have adjusted your tactics to prevent a long ball launched from their keeper onto our right backs head?

Equally how would you have adjusted the tactics to prevent the second?

Come on. Nobody is saying he's the messiah here, but he got a lot spot on today.

There was a point made about leaking on the previous page - I have to say, the problem with what Sherwood did is that it destabalized the club. I'm sure every manager and a boat load of players and agents leak things to their trusted avenues. But let's say AVB is leaking something or other to Duncan Castles, he's not destabalizing the club. He's trying to get an advantage to the club. Sherwood leaking something affects the trust and backing the players have for the manager by increasing the speculation around him. It wasn't helpful and it almost certainly happened. The idea that AVB could have copped so much stick for saying 'We have to be ashamed' compared to Sherwood getting off scot-free for his post Chelsea rant (which I very much enjoyed and agreed with) makes it clear to be he has friends in the press.

Do you have any evidence that Sherwood was briefing against AVB this season. If that was the case, and you were Levy, would you promote him?

Good sub today, good work at half time.

Defensively, we were again sh1te and look vulnerable against the most basic attacking tactics. Same high line problems that were there under AVB (West Ham, Liverpool and Sheriff games come to mind). We have cr@p full-backs.

Whoever he picks, we are gonna be bad at the back for at least the remainder of this season. So he may as well keep picking the players that can actually play football and see if we can keep scoring. So that means no Dembele, Sandro, Paulinho or Dawson, as none of these players can be trusted to pass the ball properly. Hopefully get Lamela involved at some point.

Good sub today, good work at half time.

Defensively, we were again sh1te and look vulnerable against the most basic attacking tactics. Same high line problems that were there under AVB (West Ham, Liverpool and Sheriff games come to mind). We have cr@p full-backs.

Whoever he picks, we are gonna be bad at the back for at least the remainder of this season. So he may as well keep picking the players that can actually play football and see if we can keep scoring. So that means no Dembele, Sandro, Paulinho or Dawson, as none of these players can be trusted to pass the ball properly. Hopefully get Lamela involved at some point.
Just to pick you up there, Paulinho is an excellent passer it's just that he doesn't work hard enough for the team IMO. Not being a tactical genius but my problem with the high line is that for it to work you need compress the space the opposition have to play in, press players and not lose the ball, how can any team unless they possess the brilliance of Barcelona play that way for 90 minutes and not make a costly mistake? Especially as the team gets tired late on.

Just to pick you up there, Paulinho is an excellent passer it's just that he doesn't work hard enough for the team IMO. Not being a tactical genius but my problem with the high line is that for it to work you need compress the space the opposition have to play in, press players and not lose the ball, how can any team unless they possess the brilliance of Barcelona play that way for 90 minutes and not make a costly mistake? Especially as the team gets tired late on.

I think he's a poor passer, mainly because he takes far too long to make the decision to release the ball. It's not good being able to execute sublime passes if you get tackled whilst making up your mind what you're gonna do with the ball. I blame him and Dembele for our general sh1tty play this season, both of them have been complete rubbish.

I've seen him drop mm perfect passes mid air off the outside of his foot, then **** up a five yard square pass 2 mins later

IMO he has the same problem a lot of our players have, a distinct lack of concentration

Having said all that, I won't write any of them off just yet, they may come good next season. But for now, I don't see any point in starting Paulinho or Dembele for the remaining games.

But then they were superb against Stoke fairly recently...this club baffles me.

Do you have any evidence that Sherwood was briefing against AVB this season. If that was the case, and you were Levy, would you promote him?

It's pretty clear he did. There doesn't need to be quotes from Sherwood or his journo mates admitting it to see what is very clear infront of our eyes.

But I think Levy likes him, because Sherwood buys into the philosophy of Levy, knows that he has to make a team of young signings full of potential and using the youth. So perhaps Levy wanted AVB out, or rather didn't mind that Sherwood was doing what he was doing. But it was pretty clear that Sherwood was doing something.

I think on another point, about individual brilliance, the difference between now and last season is that last season we had a plan that we played to. Whether that plan was designed to make 2 or 3 players contribute to scoring regularly or whether it was designed to get the best out of one person doesn't really matter, we had a plan. Someone has to score our goals. But today, we looked like a team submitted to the throes of pure emotion. We can hustle to get back into the game and if it's going against us it can be really bad, but there seems to be a lack of a plan and system in place. I'm sure after a pre-season Sherwood may get something different out of the team if we get the chance to see it, but we are definitely reliant more on individuals making something happen now. The difference is I don't think there is a plan to get certain individuals to be effective at certin times, beyond 'get it forward quickly'.

So how would you have adjusted your tactics to prevent a long ball launched from their keeper onto our right backs head?

Equally how would you have adjusted the tactics to prevent the second?

Come on. Nobody is saying he's the messiah here, but he got a lot spot on today.

what did he get right today?

- we were shown up in passing/shape/discipline from Southampton at WHL ffs
- He didn't address the FB issue at all, both Naughton/Rose were struggling, surely bring on Dawson and move one of Kaboul/Vert wide?
- The Townsend sub didn't work
- The siggy sub showed what he's been getting wrong all season, we need another ball playing midfielder next to Eriksen

If people want to say that TS's losses are down to individual errors, his wins have pretty much been down to a player or two playing their ass off (Ade in his first few games, today it was Eriksen & Soldado)

Let's be clear, but for a 90th minute shot from outside, he would likely have been shown the door today imo, and still should be.

ah the 'play ****e throughout the game and hope Bale scores a last minute screamer' plan? the 'don't threaten at all in an attacking sense and give the ball to bale' plan?

It's pretty clear he did. There doesn't need to be quotes from Sherwood or his journo mates admitting it to see what is very clear infront of our eyes.

But I think Levy likes him, because Sherwood buys into the philosophy of Levy, knows that he has to make a team of young signings full of potential and using the youth. So perhaps Levy wanted AVB out, or rather didn't mind that Sherwood was doing what he was doing. But it was pretty clear that Sherwood was doing something.

I think on another point, about individual brilliance, the difference between now and last season is that last season we had a plan that we played to. Whether that plan was designed to make 2 or 3 players contribute to scoring regularly or whether it was designed to get the best out of one person doesn't really matter, we had a plan. Someone has to score our goals. But today, we looked like a team submitted to the throes of pure emotion. We can hustle to get back into the game and if it's going against us it can be really bad, but there seems to be a lack of a plan and system in place. I'm sure after a pre-season Sherwood may get something different out of the team if we get the chance to see it, but we are definitely reliant more on individuals making something happen now. The difference is I don't think there is a plan to get certain individuals to be effective at certin times, beyond 'get it forward quickly'.

I believe that last season's plan was flawed which is why we finished 5 where we will most probably finish this season despite us not having a plan as you say. Liverpool have a world class talent in Suarez like we had in Bale last season. But Liverpool have developed a system which, when he is in it makes them title challengers but without him they can still score goals and win games. Hence they have an amazing goal difference and will be playing for 3rd or better rather than scrambling for fourth place.

I believe that last season's plan was flawed which is why we finished 5 where we will most probably finish this season despite us not having a plan as you say. Liverpool have a world class talent in Suarez like we had in Bale last season. But Liverpool have developed a system which, when he is in it makes them title challengers but without him they can still score goals and win games. Hence they have an amazing goal difference and will be playing for 3rd or better rather than scrambling for fourth place.

Good post. Pool are still pretty damn effective without suarez and the stats prove it.

This is getting ridiculous now...... Seriously bore off with your anti Sherwood posts......

"Its pretty clear he did"..... exactly where is it pretty clear? The only place it seems to be clear is in your head.

It's not clear to anyone else, what is clear is that yours and Gutter Boys constant stories/lies about Sherwood are very tiring and pathetic!

Go bore some other forum with your lies and agendas

This is getting ridiculous now...... Seriously bore off with your anti Sherwood posts......

"Its pretty clear he did"..... exactly where is it pretty clear? The only place it seems to be clear is in your head.

It's not clear to anyone else, what is clear is that yours and Gutter Boys constant stories/lies about Sherwood are very tiring and pathetic!

They both pass everything off as fact...literally EVERYTHING. Whereas GB is more in your face with it, BOL does the same damn thing but in a subtle manner sprinkled with extremely light praise for Sherwood so you don't see what his agenda is.

Firstly, individual errors are becoming incredibly common under Timmeh - that would need closer examination though.

Secondly, if there's a weak point in your team you adjust your tactics (assuming you have any) to negate that weakness as much as possible.

Individual mistakes are just that. Mistakes by individuals. No amount of coaching can anticipate or accommodate that. We have have been unfortunate that we have had more than our fair share under TS.

Today, Naughton was culpable twice, against Chelsea, Verts was at fault and then a rescinded sending off, against Arsnl, Chadli missed an open goal, against Benfica, Kaboul didn't track his man, against City, Rose had his red rescinded.... And so it goes on.

Not a lot a coach can do about those mistakes by individuals.

And another thing Bol you point to AVB's record points haul last season yet I think Liverpool are going to smash it. Which makes me wonder what if AVB had set up the team up with a different plan last season? One in which players like Ade and Hudd could have played a bigger role. Look how well Ade has performed this season had he done this last season could we not have amassed even more points and made sure we qualified for the Champs league? Looking at how Liverpool have performed this season and the system they have in place does for me call into question AVB's qualities as a coach. I can't think of another top class coach who has put in a system so reliant on an individual player to the detriment of the team as a whole.

Last edited:

Bore off yourself, there's many people more anti Sherwood than me!

Do people seriously think though, that Sherwood has not briefed the press against AVB? Despite Castles saying that AVB thought he did so. Despite Richard Keys tweeting something that pretty much confirmed it. Despite David Hytner writing the type of vomit inducing article about Sherwood following a terrible European performance that AVB would never have gotten? Despite Sherwood being able to rage against the entire team and getting off scot-free, while AVB can say 'we should be ashamed' and cop all manner of stick in the press? Come on.

I don't have an anti-Sherwood agenda, but I think it's just ridiculous to bury heads in the sand and deny what is blatantly in front of our eyes.

Individual mistakes are just that. Mistakes by individuals. No amount of coaching can anticipate or accommodate that. We have have been unfortunate that we have had more than our fair share under TS.

Today, Naughton was culpable twice, against Chelsea, Verts was at fault and then a rescinded sending off, against Arsnl, Chadli missed an open goal, against Benfica, Kaboul didn't track his man, against City, Rose had his red rescinded.... And so it goes on.

Not a lot a coach can do about those mistakes by individuals.

I think I've found the source of your problem and why you don't get modern coaching - it's all summed up in that post there.

There are literally hundreds of things a good coach will do to avoid individual errors. That's partly what coaching is about - and it's certainly what the preparation immediately before a match is about. Of course, if what you do before a match is shout about heart and determination, you are likely to have a team running about all over the place and making mistakes.

Look at the changes AVB made to our training - he put all the technical work that required thought at the end of the sessions where the players were tired. That led to them being more concentrated when tired and reduced the number of goals we conceded late in matches. Compare and contrast that with just shouting louder and then blaming them to the press - which do you think is more likely to work?

All of that is before you take the other players into account. If there's a player who is likely to be making mistakes (and you have no alternative other than to play him) then you make sure he has cover. You make sure the other players know that he needs a bit if help.

The other way to reduce that kind of error is to keep the ball more. Control the game, play it on your terms at your pace. Again, compare and contrast with slugging it out end to end - which is more likely to produce errors?

An individual is responsible for an individual error in the exact moment when it happens but if a whole team is producing a lot of errors then it's down to the manager.

Back