• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The transfer thread

Why not cough up 25 mil for Jonathan David? Having a good run at the Copa America with semi-finalist Canada(!). Scored one great goal and putting himself in good positions for other opportunities. Leading scorer in Ligue Unh! All 'round good guy. Canada uses rapid wide players like Ange employs, so an easy fit for the system. Hole filled, money left for more transfers.
Been wrong on players before but I think he is awful, worse touch then Richie

I like him
Reminds me of Defoe
I don't recall Defoe being a good presser or being defensively responsible. David is excellent in both aspects. Big game for him tonight - Copa America semi-final against Cuti Romero and Argentina. Win that and he might get to play Bentancur and Uruguay in the final.

I don't recall Defoe being a good presser or being defensively responsible. David is excellent in both aspects. Big game for him tonight - Copa America semi-final against Cuti Romero and Argentina. Win that and he might get to play Bentancur and Uruguay in the final.
Pressing wasn’t a “thing”
But Defoe did score plenty and create plenty winning the ball back
If David or others could hit a ball like Defoe they would be better players

Opinions and impressions are nice but numbers carry a bit more weight.

David basically scores a goal every two games. In 146 appearances for Lille, he has 71 goals. In 53 appearances for Canada he has 27 goals.

With Canada, he is playing in a system very much like how Spurs play - pace down the wings, crossing into the box fo strikers or mids to finish.

Clubs interested in him include Inter, Napoli, Chelsea, Man U and West Ham.

He's a proven goal scorer, presses well, works hard defensively, has won the Ligue 1 title and is still only 24 years old. We'll be hard pressed to find a more complete player to fill the need for a striker.

But if you and Danish say he's schitt, well stats be damned.

David basically scores a goal every two games. In 146 appearances for Lille, he has 71 goals. In 53 appearances for Canada he has 27 goals.

With Canada, he is playing in a system very much like how Spurs play - pace down the wings, crossing into the box fo strikers or mids to finish.

He's a proven goal scorer, presses well, works hard defensively, has won the Ligue 1 title and is still only 24 years old. We'll be hard pressed to find a more complete player to fill the need for a striker.

Not sure who that was at
But I’ve said I like him
I think he could do what we need

I don't think our forward line is elite (we lost that player), from a purely data view, 74 goals scored in 38 games with a new system and a lot of injuries isn't terrible, the measurement stick is high 80's to low 90 goals.

Son has always been a player to play the ball in front of, in the direction he's running in, at that he's elite (as is his finishing), Johnson has promise but to your points similar to Son in the type of ball he thrives on. That also begs the question of would all of the options be better if the midfield got the right balls to them more often?

My opinion is, maybe similar to @braineclipse the players are either almost or don't fit quite together, e.g.
- Richi is a decent poacher who can press from the front but is hardly likely to play the majority of games due to injuries
- Son is an elite player that is aging, where does he fit now?
- Johnson & Werner both fit the system but in the end just don't quite deliver (Johnson may in the long run), and if you play both you get a lot of pace in side but where does Son fit then?
- Kulu? workhorse, but has had some bad games, yet even in those bad games can often create chances.

Now to be fair, I don't think Manu, Chelsea or the Scum have elite level front lines, the latter particularly makes it up with the system.

I'd say a wing upgrade (dribbler) or CF with pace and ability to shoot from distance would make a significant upgrade ..

ahh well, that was a bit of a ramble ..
I agree with all of that, except the Richi injury thing. He's had a terrible season with us, but hopefully he'll be luckier next time.

I thought that Ange was going to turn Johnson into a striker, kind of like what Wenger did with Terry Henry -- move a quick winger with decent finishing into the centre to thrive off low crosses and diagonals played through the defensive line.

I also think Werner gets a short shrift. In a season without a proper CF, he's been involved in plenty of goals and chances. Solomon too, before he crocked himself. If a winger can make something happen a few times, that's hopefully enough to win a match.

It's far too early to see if the youngsters will make it, and I'm not one who watches U23 games and so on, but hopefully one of them is a fox in the box type who'll get on the end of the chances we make.

I agree with all of that, except the Richi injury thing. He's had a terrible season with us, but hopefully he'll be luckier next time.

I thought that Ange was going to turn Johnson into a striker, kind of like what Wenger did with Terry Henry -- move a quick winger with decent finishing into the centre to thrive off low crosses and diagonals played through the defensive line.

I also think Werner gets a short shrift. In a season without a proper CF, he's been involved in plenty of goals and chances. Solomon too, before he crocked himself. If a winger can make something happen a few times, that's hopefully enough to win a match.

It's far too early to see if the youngsters will make it, and I'm not one who watches U23 games and so on, but hopefully one of them is a fox in the box type who'll get on the end of the chances we make.
Werner gets massive short shrift
Imagine how his numbers could have looked with a decent player in the middle

It's a tough league to judge players in

Lacazette has scored 46 in 64 league games according to Wiki, he didn't really set the PL alight when he was here.

Might be useful addition, but wouldn't break the bank for him.

I just think we need better than him if we want to compete for the top honours. Is he terrible? No he’s not but he’s not gonna take us to the next level. I’d replace the entire front line if we could but I accept that won’t happen in one window. I was underwhelmed by the re-loan deal for Werner and still am but was told at the time by others “it’s still early”. Still time for us to sign another forward but I won’t be impressed if Werner is the only signing in that area. I hope he’s backup and doesn’t start too many games.

Every system is better with a skillful striker that can work himself some space and get shots off. Every system is better with a striker who is capable of holding the ball if under pressure, these are two areas Richy is relatively weak at.

I probably think the wide areas are more problematic than the striker tbh because as you say if you want wide players who beat their man and get get balls in we don't have that. Johnson can not beat his man, he can only do so if the ball is played into space for him to run on to, he is completely unable to dribble. Son is also not much of a dribbler.

For me I very much do not think out forward line is good but i am aware I am in a minority in that view but it's so glaringly obvious. I don't really mind where we upgrade in terms of forwards just that we do, hopefully.

I’m with you and agree our forwards aren’t good enough. We scored a lot of goals partly because we play so aggressively going forward and pile the penalty box with players.

Linked to Neto again

Really good player, but made of glass.....

He's only had two hamstring injuries, rolled his ankle and had a fractured kneecap. The last two are just ill fortune. As for his two hamstring injuries, I think he's been overused by Wolves to an extent that he wouldn't be with us. And it wasn't the same hamstring either.

He's only had two hamstring injuries, rolled his ankle and had a fractured kneecap. The last two are just ill fortune. As for his two hamstring injuries, I think he's been overused by Wolves to an extent that he wouldn't be with us. And it wasn't the same hamstring either.

The money Wolves want is far too high, he doesn't score enough goals and I never remembered him having a lot of assists, he's fast but his stats (I dislike stats) aren't as good as Johnson or Werner.

Last edited:
Back