• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The transfer thread

Was a good window, would've liked 1 or 2 more in but didn't happen. Feel we're still a little bit light in a couple of areas.

We should be adding players like Romero was when we bought him. We should be adding players like VdV was when we bought him. That's proper scouting and succession planning without breaking the bank, while ensuring the drop-off in quality is minimal. And when we finish 4-5 points from the top and need that one extra piece to push for the title, then we hold on to everyone and add the ready-made player that will get us to there. It'll also be much easier to hold on to our star players too.

Until then, I see it as 3 steps forward one step back. But the important thing is that the net is forward and is done in a sustainable fashion that will not put us in a position similar to Barcelona.

Hard to disagree with that. Seems like we're going for even younger/rawer prospects now than under Don Paratici. I agree the squad could probably do with a VDV/Romero type signing, but then again - who knows how our new boys will fare? Maybe we have signed more ready made players than we realize. Time will tell.

No idea on striker front but that’s a huge downgrade in quality. We don’t have a fit striker Sunday and plenty have agreed Son does not do it as a CF

Our squad is still short of quality as I’ve said prior Johnson , Werner, Davies are not good enough. No decent back up GK if Vicario gets injured.

Oderbert , Gray and Bergvail are unknowns. I’ve said let’s hope they realise their potential. We have seen it go both ways with younger players.

Maddison has been poor since injury and Bissouma blows hot and cold.

Time will tell. I just don’t see us competing week in and out.

I’ll hold my hands up if proven wrong let’s hope others do to. I know this goes against a lot of what people think here. Fair enough. From people I know and stuff I’ve seen read on boards etc fan base is pretty divided.

It’s not all just player related. Think there’s some style system problems that I have concerns with also.

Window is closed now and we will see in the next couple months where we are.
I can't argue with your overall assessment but it's fantasy to think we could have done much more in this window. We had so much work to do, especially in terms of outgoings which are almost as important as the incomings. Just look at the amount we spent - how much more could we have done with that budget?

Ange said after the Jan window that we would need 3 more windows and I think that's about right. We will continue to work on the issues you identified in January and next summer (the fact that Werner is only a loan is testament to that).

This is another transitional season but we have made a load of progress and, barring a complete catastrophe in terms of results and Ange being sacked, we'll have a very solid foundation to build on next season with a view to challenging at the top end of the table.

Overall I'm pretty happy with this window but we're still miles off challenging and that's fine. Our squad was entirely fudged before last summer!

No idea on striker front but that’s a huge downgrade in quality. We don’t have a fit striker Sunday and plenty have agreed Son does not do it as a CF

Our squad is still short of quality as I’ve said prior Johnson , Werner, Davies are not good enough. No decent back up GK if Vicario gets injured.

Oderbert , Gray and Bergvail are unknowns. I’ve said let’s hope they realise their potential. We have seen it go both ways with younger players.

I’ll hold my hands up if proven wrong let’s hope others do to. I know this goes against a lot of what people think here. Fair enough. From people I know and stuff I’ve seen read on boards etc fan base is pretty divided.

It’s not all just player related. Think there’s some style system problems that I have concerns with also.

TBF we do have 3 players injured who play there
Not sure how much cover you need in a 25 man squad but we have the right amount. It’s just bad luck, timing and possibly the wrong player of course

We should be adding players like Romero was when we bought him. We should be adding players like VdV was when we bought him.
Except when we bought them you’d be saying they aren’t good enough players. How inexperienced VDV was etc.

We’ve signed Gray, Bergvall and Odobert! They are exactly the type of player you seem to be calling for 🤪

Mystified!

That's proper scouting and succession planning without breaking the bank, while ensuring the drop-off in quality is minimal. And when we finish 4-5 points from the top and need that one extra piece to push for the title, then we hold on to everyone and add the ready-made player that will get us to there. It'll also be much easier to hold on to our star players too.

Until then, I see it as 3 steps forward one step back. But the important thing is that the net is forward and is done in a sustainable fashion that will not put us in a position similar to Barcelona.

Solanke is the big gamble. The huge fee and unknown. Will he deliver?

TBF we do have 3 players injured who play there
Not sure how much cover you need in a 25 man squad but we have the right amount. It’s just bad luck, timing and possibly the wrong player of course
Richy has been a shambles. Wonder if we did try shift him and he said no. Always injured.

Richy has been a shambles. Wonder if we did try shift him and he said no. Always injured.
Pass
I think we would have happily sold him because of that but no one outside of Saudi is buying him
And some people don’t think he gets injured… much
The guy, when fit, is a good fit imo. We have only seen him fit enough for about 3 months so far (post his pelvic op). That’s not great

Except when we bought them you’d be saying they aren’t good enough players. How inexperienced VDV was etc.

We’ve signed Gray, Bergvall and Odobert! They are exactly the type of player you seem to be calling for 🤪

Mystified!

Solanke is the big gamble. The huge fee and unknown. Will he deliver?
Honestly…. Unless you paying silly wages too every striker you sign is gamble
I rate Toney very highly and I know we spoke to him, but I’ve also seen that he wanted £200k plus a week
That’s a hell of a commitment

Fully agree too on the comment about signing “unknowns” for decent fees like VDV and it feels like a gamble. But the pay off is huge if the work is done right up front

I respect your opinion and you’ve actually made some fair points. I happen to disagree with them but that’s what football is all about. It’s all about opinions.

I will say this though,we as football fans can have short memories. It might not seem like it, but it was only last year that we had Conte and a team that was dropping like a stone, filled with players from opposing managerial philosophies in (Poch vs Mourinho/Nuno/Conte),

A team that was a shambles, we had three managers in the final three months of the season and we lost our best player. We were considered a joke of a club. Everyone was screaming to rip it all up and start again.

I think to expect us to go from that to becoming title challenges in just over a year, I believe is unrealistic. It’s tough seeing our arch rivals challenging at the top. But Arteta didn’t do that until his fourth season.

We have started a new project and I’m excited to see where it goes. I’m actually getting back to a place where I actually like our players like I did during poch era. I’m excited to see how things develop

This place has been fairly measured, but there are some proper moaners out there. Ange seems pretty happy. Doesn't look like defensive cover was a big priority unless someone we really wanted had become an option.

This place has been fairly measured, but there are some proper moaners out there. Ange seems pretty happy. Doesn't look like defensive cover was a big priority unless someone we really wanted had become an option.

Here's a link to an actual readable version of that article that won't choke your browser down to a slog with ads:

fudge, I hate that Football London site - completely unreadable due to the ads.

Great article though! Shame it's hidden behind all the dross ads.

Football London?! Ban!

Here's a link to an actual readable version of that article that won't choke your browser down to a slog with ads:

fudge, I hate that Football London site - completely unreadable due to the ads.

Great article though! Shame it's hidden behind all the dross ads.
They have good stuff, but they need to fire whoever approved or designed their site. The pure randomness of where ads are placed is just bewildering.

Apart from not being able to get a proper DM in i am quite looking forward to the season. We have signed some really promising youngsters and look forward to seeing how they progress. Solanke is a player we needed up front [ especially when it looks like Richarlston can not get fully fit].

I respect your opinion and you’ve actually made some fair points. I happen to disagree with them but that’s what football is all about. It’s all about opinions.

I will say this though,we as football fans can have short memories. It might not seem like it, but it was only last year that we had Conte and a team that was dropping like a stone, filled with players from opposing managerial philosophies in (Poch vs Mourinho/Nuno/Conte),

A team that was a shambles, we had three managers in the final three months of the season and we lost our best player. We were considered a joke of a club. Everyone was screaming to rip it all up and start again.

I think to expect us to go from that to becoming title challenges in just over a year, I believe is unrealistic. It’s tough seeing our arch rivals challenging at the top. But Arteta didn’t do that until his fourth season.

We have started a new project and I’m excited to see where it goes. I’m actually getting back to a place where I actually like our players like I did during poch era. I’m excited to see how things develop
All fair points. I’m also intrigued to see how it all goes.

As I’ve said will be interesting season. Full of ups and downs. I hope that my doubts don’t materialise. I’m not a doom merchant. I want to see us up there. Just have some concerns.

That's been reported hasn't it? To Saudi

I think he'll likely move to be first choice somewhere over the next couple of windows
Think so. Wasn’t sure if he said no. Don’t blame him if he did. Just don’t help us securing funds in long run.

Back