• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The transfer thread

Filled out the squad depth/quality, got rid of some deadwood and got a starting striker option and maybe a WF one as well. Not an amazing window, but an ok one.
Outstanding job to shift the deadwood - except Reggie gone.

3 exciting youngsters in - excellent

Solanke / Werner meh - I'm personally not convinced - we shall see

I may be in the minority. I don’t think the incomings have been that good.

Yes there’s a lot of potential no doubt but that’s got to be realised before we can claim this as some spectacular coup in terms of the youngsters.

The deadwood shifted is good no doubt but we now have a tight squad with a lot of games to play.

Couple injuries in certain areas and we are short. I don’t particularly rate our attacking options as I have said before. Son aside.

Time will hopefully prove me wrong but I just don’t see it. I am actually quite surprised at how so many are confident in where we are at. Everything I’ve seen says this is going to be a bit of a nothing season.

I have explained before my reasoning around the youngsters and our attacking options in this thread.

But it’s a 5/10 for me. It started with links to some decent players.

If you told me just prior to selling Kane we’d have Solanke , Johnson and Werner instead I’d of laughed.

Tight squad? The squad size is limited. And we have a few kids to fill in when needed.
We have two players for most positions and lots of flexible players.

Solanke is the big ??? for me. I don't expect him to be a success - but hopefully I'm wrong.

I'm quite surprised we haven't gone for a new back up GK.

I think we have done pretty well.

I still think there is a hole in CM.

Another worry is we don't have much versatility now if we need to change system, for whatever reason.

Said a while back we'd get a big signing (solanke most expensive prem signing?). A couple of youngsters and maybe a loan.

Pretty much par of the course.

Neither excited or disappointed. You don't know how good signings will be till they play.

Said a while back we'd get a big signing (solanke most expensive prem signing?). A couple of youngsters and maybe a loan.

Pretty much par of the course.

Neither excited or disappointed. You don't know how good signings will be till they play.

Did say an opportunistic one aswell.

Think turkey and saudis transfer windows shut next week.
Turkey is 2 more weeks.

Pretty sure Regulion is off to Fenebache. They just sold their LB to Brighton, and Regulion was the one player who actually seemed to get on with Mourinho

Everyone is short with a couple injuries in certain areas, City has no similar level replacement for any of Haaland, KDB or Rodri

Your squad is always 25 players, the difference is this one has no deadwood, unfulfilled potential? yes, deadwood? no

I personally think the club has done something it's never done, this squad is not for this season (yes, we can't come fudging 8th, I get), this isn't in my opinion a top 4 or bust strategy (as it has been for probably a decade+ now). How we do this season will be very dependent on how well Villa, Brighton, United actually play as much as us.

You saw you laugh at replacing Kane with Solanke, who were you expecting we would buy? (and for it's worth we realistically have replaced Kane with Maddison +Solanke)
No idea on striker front but that’s a huge downgrade in quality. We don’t have a fit striker Sunday and plenty have agreed Son does not do it as a CF

Our squad is still short of quality as I’ve said prior Johnson , Werner, Davies are not good enough. No decent back up GK if Vicario gets injured.

Oderbert , Gray and Bergvail are unknowns. I’ve said let’s hope they realise their potential. We have seen it go both ways with younger players.

Maddison has been poor since injury and Bissouma blows hot and cold.

Time will tell. I just don’t see us competing week in and out.

I’ll hold my hands up if proven wrong let’s hope others do to. I know this goes against a lot of what people think here. Fair enough. From people I know and stuff I’ve seen read on boards etc fan base is pretty divided.

It’s not all just player related. Think there’s some style system problems that I have concerns with also.

Window is closed now and we will see in the next couple months where we are.

Last edited:
I respect that sentiment. But for every de bruyne there are 100 phil ifils.

Absolutely this

SO as a window its been ok, you can't IMO account for having Richy and signing Solanke and both then getting injured and reflect bad on the window, IMO thats just bad luck and we are actually longer term shorter in other areas from this window.

I like what did outward, I think Wilson is going to be some player this year and the two young lads are clearly hugely talented.

BUT and its not a major moan, we are def short and I think we could have done with 1 more IMO

Are you under the misimpression he’s first 11 player!? Davies is backup. We could sign a promising 21 year old for 40m and because of their level of experience be less effective defensively than Davies, who’s highly experienced for Spurs and Wales. And when playing cameos - the odd game here and there - Davies has shown he can play at a top top level defensively.
That drop in quality is exactly how injuries get you in a season. I get it he is a nice guy and is a epl level defender. But I think we need to lift standards across senior squad if we want to win things.

I
I may be in the minority. I don’t think the incomings have been that good.

Yes there’s a lot of potential no doubt but that’s got to be realised before we can claim this as some spectacular coup in terms of the youngsters.

The deadwood shifted is good no doubt but we now have a tight squad with a lot of games to play.

Couple injuries in certain areas and we are short. I don’t particularly rate our attacking options as I have said before. Son aside.

Time will hopefully prove me wrong but I just don’t see it. I am actually quite surprised at how so many are confident in where we are at. Everything I’ve seen says this is going to be a bit of a nothing season.

I have explained before my reasoning around the youngsters and our attacking options in this thread.

But it’s a 5/10 for me. It started with links to some decent players.

If you told me just prior to selling Kane we’d have Solanke , Johnson and Werner instead I’d of laughed.
It's better quality in depth and reducing the average age of the squad...absolutely necessary. But does feel like we've moved the time frame for winning things a few years back. It's also a really big gamble on young super talents continuing their stellar development.

Back