• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The transfer thread

I may be in the minority. I don’t think the incomings have been that good.

Yes there’s a lot of potential no doubt but that’s got to be realised before we can claim this as some spectacular coup in terms of the youngsters.

The deadwood shifted is good no doubt but we now have a tight squad with a lot of games to play.

Couple injuries in certain areas and we are short. I don’t particularly rate our attacking options as I have said before. Son aside.

Time will hopefully prove me wrong but I just don’t see it. I am actually quite surprised at how so many are confident in where we are at. Everything I’ve seen says this is going to be a bit of a nothing season.

I have explained before my reasoning around the youngsters and our attacking options in this thread.

But it’s a 5/10 for me. It started with links to some decent players.

If you told me just prior to selling Kane we’d have Solanke , Johnson and Werner instead I’d of laughed.

Everyone is short with a couple injuries in certain areas, City has no similar level replacement for any of Haaland, KDB or Rodri

Your squad is always 25 players, the difference is this one has no deadwood, unfulfilled potential? yes, deadwood? no

I personally think the club has done something it's never done, this squad is not for this season (yes, we can't come fudging 8th, I get), this isn't in my opinion a top 4 or bust strategy (as it has been for probably a decade+ now). How we do this season will be very dependent on how well Villa, Brighton, United actually play as much as us.

You saw you laugh at replacing Kane with Solanke, who were you expecting we would buy? (and for it's worth we realistically have replaced Kane with Maddison +Solanke)

Everyone is short with a couple injuries in certain areas, City has no similar level replacement for any of Haaland, KDB or Rodri

Your squad is always 25 players, the difference is this one has no deadwood, unfulfilled potential? yes, deadwood? no

I personally think the club has done something it's never done, this squad is not for this season (yes, we can't come fudging 8th, I get), this isn't in my opinion a top 4 or bust strategy (as it has been for probably a decade+ now). How we do this season will be very dependent on how well Villa, Brighton, United actually play as much as us.

You saw you laugh at replacing Kane with Solanke, who were you expecting we would buy? (and for it's worth we realistically have replaced Kane with Maddison +Solanke)
I agree
It’s took one season to get a team who can play and ball across a quantity of players

Last year we had enough opportunities to get CL with a significant proportion of players who couldn’t play ball

That’s a big change

I agree
It’s took one season to get a team who can play and ball across a quantity of players

Last year we had enough opportunities to get CL with a significant proportion of players who couldn’t play ball

That’s a big change
Lots of our rivals are weaker too - Ineos, Villa, Chelsea. West Ham have strengthened, but not that much

Lots of our rivals are weaker too - Ineos, Villa, Chelsea. West Ham have strengthened, but not that much
Have they???
Honestly
United have brought in players but I’m A long way from being convinced they are better than they had/have
Villa have weakened IMO… sold their best player and brought some at some random ones. Hell the guys they got in that deal have left on lain which says a lot
Still don’t think Chelsea have brought anyone for the first team
West Ham may have. I rate some of them for sure but that still is a wait to see

Think @Raziel point is we should be adding players of Romeros calibre not letting them go.

We used to have to sell our elite players in their prime. Now we seem to have a bit more pull/control. Yet we have to take the next step winning things and attracting the best, not selling our best.
We should be adding players like Romero was when we bought him. We should be adding players like VdV was when we bought him. That's proper scouting and succession planning without breaking the bank, while ensuring the drop-off in quality is minimal. And when we finish 4-5 points from the top and need that one extra piece to push for the title, then we hold on to everyone and add the ready-made player that will get us to there. It'll also be much easier to hold on to our star players too.

Until then, I see it as 3 steps forward one step back. But the important thing is that the net is forward and is done in a sustainable fashion that will not put us in a position similar to Barcelona.

The Sky countdown clock until the window slams shut is totally messed up. It calculates based off the user's local time zone, rather than BST. What a rooster up. I'm in the US where it's 16:00 and it's telling me the window slams shut in 7 hours, even though it is 21:00 in the UK and the window slams shut in 2 hours.

Even without Solanke, our new team scored the same amount of goals without Kane as with Kane's 30. As controversial as this may sound, in his last season Kane scored those goals but cost us a load of goals indirectly. He only actually got 3 assists as well. Yes, he could head a ball in our own 18 yard box (as a big man should) but he just stepped aside when our opposition had the ball and let them move through the thirds unopposed. He also did the old kid the kidder thing where he was pretending to compete for headers, but you could tell he actually wasn't. He could also complete 95 min games with less than 30 touches. He was barely showing for the ball and relieving the pressure on his team mates.

This is the new Spurs. Ange's Spurs. Now, a 23-24 year old Kane would fit in lovely to this new Spurs but I always had my doubts that 30-something Kane would do anything other than be disruptive. I genuinely hope Solanke and Richi don't get compared to the great man. Let them do it their way. Ange's way. LOL - they're only keeping Lanks shirt warm anyway.

Have they???
Honestly
United have brought in players but I’m A long way from being convinced they are better than they had/have
Villa have weakened IMO… sold their best player and brought some at some random ones. Hell the guys they got in that deal have left on lain which says a lot
Still don’t think Chelsea have brought anyone for the first team
West Ham may have. I rate some of them for sure but that still is a wait to see
I think you are agreeing with me. Its 2 sentences - i only put West Ham in the stronger half

Even without Solanke, our new team scored the same amount of goals without Kane as with Kane's 30. As controversial as this may sound, in his last season Kane scored those goals but cost us a load of goals indirectly. He only actually got 3 assists as well. Yes, he could head a ball in our own 18 yard box (as a big man should) but he just stepped aside when our opposition had the ball and let them move through the thirds unopposed. He also did the old kid the kidder thing where he was pretending to compete for headers, but you could tell he actually wasn't. He could also complete 95 min games with less than 30 touches. He was barely showing for the ball and relieving the pressure on his team mates.

This is the new Spurs. Ange's Spurs. Now, a 23-24 year old Kane would fit in lovely to this new Spurs but I always had my doubts that 30-something Kane would do anything other than be disruptive. I genuinely hope Solanke and Richi don't get compared to the great man. Let them do it their way. Ange's way. LOL - they're only keeping Lanks shirt warm anyway.

Did kane cost us goals or the way we played?

The Sky countdown clock until the window slams shut is totally messed up. It calculates based off the user's local time zone, rather than BST. What a rooster up. I'm in the US where it's 16:00 and it's telling me the window slams shut in 7 hours, even though it is 21:00 in the UK and the window slams shut in 2 hours.
I could be wrong but something tells me you might have an issue with the manner in which the window closes

There will be a lot of slamming of doors and windows if we don't buy Carlos Kickaball or similar, only a couple of hours and this madness ends until Christmas.

Did kane cost us goals or the way we played?

He definitely cost us goals. There was no defending from the front for the last 2-3 years of his career with us. Pick any system you want and there is some dependency on the striker to do their bit. Kane quit on that responsibility, perhaps with the blessing of a couple of managers whose only priority was to keep his talented body away from the treatment room. I remember one game where the opposition had possession and we had them 3 on 3 just inside their half. Kane just walked away and made it easy to pass around our other 2 players. 3 seconds later, Hugo was picking the ball out of our net. In that period of 4 games, I counted 3 goals that Kane could have easily cut out at source.

You won't see that with Solanke and Richi. What you will see though is many of those deja vu moments where we all cry "Harry would have buried that". Kane's finishing was legendary.

Back