• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The transfer thread

Don't mean to hijack, but to me
- Udogie, Sarr, VDV, Gray, Bergvall you can see they are just comfortable at this level, they never look out of place or seem the obvious "weak link"
- Contrast this to Skipp & Winks who while had good games, also had a lot of games where they seemed to struggle just to be on the same level as their teammates

Coaching does have to take it from here
I get where you’re coming from regards VDV , Sarr and Udogie but you can’t put Gray and Bergvail into that . They’ve played 60 minutes odd of premier league football. To soon to tell. Winks and Skipp have played a load of games so we can see their level. Skipp and Winks were both highly rated youngsters.

Bergvail looks ahead of Gray and looked good I will say that but it’s early days so we will see. Gray as it stands and what I’ve seen has been ok that’s it nothing more.

Think some of posts surrounding these two youngsters are over the top in recent weeks. Potential is there.

Last edited:
I get where you’re coming from regards VDV , Sarr and Udogie but you can’t put Gray and Bergvail into that . They’ve played 60 minutes odd of premier league football. To soon to tell. Winks and Skipp have played a load of games so we can see their level. Skipp and Winks were both highly rated youngsters.

Bergvail looks ahead of Gray and looked good I will say that but it’s early days so we will see. Gray as it stands and what I’ve seen has been ok that’s it nothing more.

Think some of posts surrounding these two youngsters are over the top in recent weeks. Potential is there.
It is to soon to tell, particularly with regards to consistency and how they will do when things get difficult. And how they will do up against better teams.

But they've done enough to be trusted. Done enough to be given more trust even when/if not at their best (perhaps after a slight break).

They've made themselves part of the squad.

Don't mean to hijack, but to me
- Udogie, Sarr, VDV, Gray, Bergvall you can see they are just comfortable at this level, they never look out of place or seem the obvious "weak link"
- Contrast this to Skipp & Winks who while had good games, also had a lot of games where they seemed to struggle just to be on the same level as their teammates

Coaching does have to take it from here

Remember Winks playing away at Barca? He ran the game. Or Skipp the future England captain under Mourinho? Tenacious, hard working, aware and smart.

Udogie and Sarr are very young still, but we want them to kick on not plateau. Udogie promised so much in his early games for us, but hasn’t delivered anything like what he hinted at. Or anything like what Poro has (2 years his senior). How do you install confidence in him to go out and deliver what he’s capable of (match winning performances). How do you get him playing at a higher level that you get snippets off, but we’ve seen not enough of? Similar applies to Sarr, and very much to Johnson who’s a year older.

As well as patience, coaches need to be psychologists. Press buttons/ build them up. Demand more/show them how/give them great confidence to execute in a game. Johnson looks scared atm. Not in his rhythm and afraid to give things a go. Udogie as well as get him confident, might need some targets. In other words carefully demanding more, whilst building him up. Needs to be done gently and carefully.

The other thing is playing them less. Letting them reflect and Rotate more.

It is to soon to tell, particularly with regards to consistency and how they will do when things get difficult. And how they will do up against better teams.

But they've done enough to be trusted. Done enough to be given more trust even when/if not at their best (perhaps after a slight break).

They've made themselves part of the squad.
I agree they have done enough to be part of the squad.

As I say I just feel some of the expectation around these two players is a little over the top at the moment. We have all seen highly talented younger players not quite make the grade.

I agree they have done enough to be part of the squad.

As I say I just feel some of the expectation around these two players is a little over the top at the moment. We have all seen highly talented younger players not quite make the grade.

No different to any other signing in that regard then?

The manager has spoken quite plainly saying that all our summer signings were brought in with the intention of having an impact in the short term (as well as long term)

Last edited:
I'd hazard a guess this is the 1,000th time this window that this is just what you say it is - gossip.

Not a dig at you at all btw, and I'd certainly take Sancho but can't see it.....
True, Almost no rumours come to fruition but it gives us something to talk about until the next surprise signing that no one actually knew about like Odobert lol

Hi, new poster here. Good to meet everyone

My thoughts on the remaining transfer business mostly focus around the LCB/LB and centre mid areas. I get that we can keep trying to get more attacking talent like we've seen this summer with Solanke and Odobert but I'd be more worried about having enough good defensive minded players. Our goals against column last season wasn't pretty and I still feel we're a couple of key injuries away from risking a weak or inexperienced defensive unit. Imagine a month or six weeks without combos of VDV, Uodgie, Bents and Biss.

It's going to be a hectic season with 4 competitions. We'll need rotation and we'll mostly need to use up to 16 players every game.

So just a little more defensive depth would be amazing in my mind. I guess we'll find out this week.

The reason everyone is happy to sign for Chelsea is because they are giving out 7/8 year contracts, the majority of your career is secure financially.

Back