• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The transfer thread

If true then that’s a big ask of two very inexperienced youngsters. This squad is no better than last season. We will be outside the top 6. We will finish 20 -30 points behind City and the scum.

Our signings this summer have not moved the needle. I know some think they have but I don’t see it. We’ve signed nothing that improves our starting 11 at all. Solanke over Richy possibly but there’s a debate there.

If that’s it for our window then we have no chance. We will not win a trophy or finish in top 4 certainly.

Sorry to bang on as I’ve said this a few times recently. I don’t get the optimism. Mediocre will be us this season.

I hope I’m proven wrong and I’ll be happy to be wrong but I don’t see it.

No better than last season?

- Royal as RB is now covered by Spence, Royal at CB now covered by Dragusin (admittedly since Jan)
- Skipp replaced by Gray
- GLC replaced by Bergvall
- No backup CF is replaced by Solanke being likely 1st choice with Richi now the backup CF (Richi has never scored more than 13 goals in a PL season, Solanke just scored 19, and is a more rounded player, so not sure how you see that as possibly, not to mention having 2 CFs is an improvement)
- Solomon replaced by Wilson

I get the statement re starting 11 immediate level up, but having a fit CF between Richi & Solanke for the whole season is an upgrade, and our problem last season wasn't our first 11, it was having to play Royal, Davies, Skipp & PEH in lots of games, and having to play lots of those players out of position.

You probably had same opinion about Udogie and VDV at the beginning of last season, and that's really how success in this season will play out
- Does the deeper squad depth really lift the results over full course of season
- Do some/any of Gray, Bergvall, Wilson, Solanke make the kind of impact VDV, Udogie & Maddison did last season?

My opinion?
- Last season VDV & Udogie looked comfortable in the side from the beginning
- What I've seen from Gray, Bergvall & Solanke (yes, in one game) is similar, they don't look out of place and that's a good sign.

@Raziel I agree with most of what you said.
Only thing missing for me is a solid DM, someone who just sits there protecting the back 4 and allowing the attack minded players to 'do their thing'.
I am thinking Ange doesn't want one and it's all out attack which is great when it works but on the flipside when it doesn't, we look wide open and likely to concede 3 or 4.

Only thing missing for me is a solid DM, someone who just sits there protecting the back 4 and allowing the attack minded players to 'do their thing'.
I am thinking Ange doesn't want one and it's all out attack which is great when it works but on the flipside when it doesn't, we look wide open and likely to concede 3 or 4.

Agreed re the DM, I genuinely think in some ways we are the most similar to City in approach, and the reason their overcommit works is Rodri.

- Royal as RB is now covered by Spence, Royal at CB now covered by Dragusin (admittedly since Jan)
- Skipp replaced by Gray
- No backup CF is replaced by Solanke being likely 1st choice with Richi now the backup CF (Richi has never scored more than 13 goals in a PL season, Solanke just scored 19, and is a more rounded player, so not sure how you see that as possibly, not to mention having 2 CFs is an improvement)

I get the statement re starting 11 immediate level up, but having a fit CF between Richi & Solanke for the whole season is an upgrade, and our problem last season wasn't our first 11, it was having to play Royal, Davies, Skipp & PEH in lots of games, and having to play lots of those players out of position.

You probably had same opinion about Udogie and VDV at the beginning of last season, and that's really how success in this season will play out
- Does the deeper squad depth really lift the results over full course of season
- Do some/any of Gray, Bergvall, Wilson, Solanke make the kind of impact VDV, Udogie & Maddison did last season?

My opinion?
- What I've seen from Gray, Bergvall & Solanke (yes, in one game) is similar, they don't look out of place and that's a good sign.
It’s what their summer was all about
You can’t buy 1 or 2 top players if your squad is weak and can’t play ball
It’s quantity of a quality
Next you buy the premium quality
It’s exactly what city do and Arsenal are trying to do
You need a base to work from and for Ange ball it’s starts with technically capable players… something we sorely missed in the squad outside 12/13 players

I agree its our biggest weakness in the squad having no proper DM, we have got a few talented players in m/f but we really miss a player whose major strength is as a DM.

I agree its our biggest weakness in the squad having no proper DM, we have got a few talented players in m/f but we really miss a player whose major strength is as a DM.

I know this is a mistake but I don't think there are many we could sign, plenty of players trying to do it, not many do it well, simply sticking a defender there doesn't work.

- Skipp replaced by Gray

My opinion?
Gray / Bergvail have looked ok. People are going way over the top with the hype surrounding these youngsters. Not like fan bases to overrate players. Let’s hope they turn out to be top quality.

VDV has looked quality. Udogie was poor for a bit before his injury but for most part solid i agree.

Solanke scored 19 once in prem. might not hit them heights again. Who knows looked ok other night. injured. Back to Richy or Son through middle.

Davies will still be playing if we get an injury or two. Especially with an added amount of games.

Yes we have more depth but again the starting 11 is no better than last season.

Look we can go around the houses all day and night.

We will see ten games down the line .Even with the added depth I just don’t see us as being an improved side. Thats not just transfer related. Thats off the back of pre season and Monday night also.

Last edited:
I know this is a mistake but I don't think there are many we could sign, plenty of players trying to do it, not many do it well, simply sticking a defender there doesn't work.

It is a posistion that needs a different perspective from the other m/f posistions, we have a lot of talented CM players but their strengths are more of a attacking/forward basis. its probably the easiest posistion to play IF you have the abilitys to see the game with a defensive eye. i actually think Romero reads the game well and we could do worse then use him there.

However that would be a short term fix but imo our other options at the moment for the DM posistion are not good enough imo. i said before the transfer window opened my hopes were that we would get a striker [ done] and proper DM sadly we still have that hole in CM to try and fix.

Scholes was bemoaning Utd's midfield on a podcast with Carragher. Saying their midfield is all action so everyone is chasing up and down all game and nobody has a brain to put their foot on the ball and say "OK, let's keep the ball for 5 mins and rest in game and take the sting out of the oppo". E.g. Amrabat just charges about tackling anything, Casemiro isn't a true DM, he goes charging off trying to tackle and score and get ahead of play (it was Modric who was the heartbeat and brains of Real, not Casemiro). Of course he wants Carrick and Scholes basically!
But the point is, we may not simply want a DM that stays back and tackles what moves, we also want a brain that can control the game. We probably can't afford to buy one, so will have to wait for Modric's children to grow to about 16 before throwing them into the mixer.

I particularly worry against the likes of the Goons, Villa and Saudi Sportswashing Machine

Billy Gilmour anyone?
Not aggressive in the tackle as some but reads the game well and has good movement and passing ability, a bit Carrick in style. Available for around £15m...

Back