• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The transfer thread

You've probably not really seen my postings on these matters before so I can understand your misunderstanding of my position. I do not and never have advocated for the purchase of established superstars. That honestly couldn't be further from the truth. That is not the ENIC.

I have instead for many years on this board been a prime advocate for speculative early buys model so our current model is one I'm very happy to endorse ie. he signing of a Gray, Bergvall etc. Because like you say where their ceiling lands is open for debate so again very happy to buy those kind of players.

That however does not mean you then settle on the players you have brought in. You analyse them, you work out their weaknesses and if they can be improved upon, you move them on and bring in the next potential option. That's what I mean by not settling and aiming for the top. You have constantly try to innovate your playing squad I til you get to the point it is winning and as I'm painted to keep pointing out we aren't winning yet so we need to keep trying to improve. That's how you aim for the top.

I complain about settling because many on this board seem to be of the opinion that a forward line of Son, Richy and Johnson was good enough and my question to that would be good enough for what? A top 4 challenge? Just about. Challenging for the league? Hell no and we want to be getting to the point whereby that is the quality we have. Whether that is via self made youth prospects like Moore or bought in ones like Bergvall or even decent aged players like Bentancur I am not fussed. I just know the forwards line we had last season needed to be improved upon and to be fair we have attempted to, but it felt like so many this summer were happy just to stick with what we already had as if that's ever going to achieve anything.
Agreed on a need for continual improvement. I don't think you'll find a poster on here that's not looking for us to continue to improve this and next and every transfer window.

Agreed on a focus on younger players. With that though also comes that it most likely will take time before the biggest benefits of that are seen.

I wouldn't read "good enough" as good enough for the next several years or good enough to reach our medium to long term aims. I wouldn't read having top four as the aim now as that being our only aim also longer term. Rather it's just where we are now, for where we can realistically hope to get in the short term.

For that I think the forward line we had last season with the addition of Solanke, Odobert and potentially some involvement from Moore and/or other academy players as "good enough".

I doubt we're even looking at him. He's not very good on the ball and he's a Jorge Mendes player.

I think there would be more truth to it if the link were the Atalanta one.
No.
His agent is Carlos Leite, not Mendes. There may be a friendship or business relationship between them but he does have a different agent.

If true that would be really significant in how much Ange rates those players and how ready he sees them to be (particularly physically and maturity).
If true then that’s a big ask of two very inexperienced youngsters. This squad is no better than last season. We will be outside the top 6. We will finish 20 -30 points behind City and the scum.

Our signings this summer have not moved the needle. I know some think they have but I don’t see it. We’ve signed nothing that improves our starting 11 at all. Solanke over Richy possibly but there’s a debate there.

If that’s it for our window then we have no chance. We will not win a trophy or finish in top 4 certainly.

Sorry to bang on as I’ve said this a few times recently. I don’t get the optimism. Mediocre will be us this season.

I hope I’m proven wrong and I’ll be happy to be wrong but I don’t see it.

If true then that’s a big ask of two very inexperienced youngsters. This squad is no better than last season. We will be outside the top 6. We will finish 20 -30 points behind City and the scum.

Our signings this summer have not moved the needle. I know some think they have but I don’t see it. We’ve signed nothing that improves our starting 11 at all. Solanke over Richy possibly but there’s a debate there.

If that’s it for our window then we have no chance. We will not win a trophy or finish in top 4 certainly.

Sorry to bang on as I’ve said this a few times recently. I don’t get the optimism. Mediocre will be us this season.

Out of curiosity, where did you predict us to finish last season?

So Spurs bought Jack Clarke from Leeds for about £10m.
We loaned him out several times, then sold him to Sunderland for an undisclosed fee e.g. £5m but with a 25% sell-on.
So if they sell him to Ipswich for £20m we get £5m.
So we spent £10m and receive £10m.
Minus wages.
Maybe some loan fees, I don't understand this table of loan fees here....

Out of curiosity, where did you predict us to finish last season?
No idea. I thought we’d build on last season. At the very least improve the starting 11 . Especially with European football. To start the window by getting Werner on loan was the start of a pretty average window.

It’s all opinion and I’ll be happy to be proven wrong but I think we are in for a bumpy season.

Where do you see us finishing this season and which teams do you see finishing ahead of us?

Yes, it is a big ask. That much is obvious. That's why I said what I said. It tells us quite a bit about how much Ange rates and trusts those players. Because of how obvious it is that it's a big ask.

In my opinion the starting 11 was very good last season. We haven't improved much on that from the start of the season (let's see where we are with that in 6 months). Wee definitely could have improved with 1-2 clear first team upgrades. Very few players of that calibre available and affordable to us.

But a huge issue last season was a lack of depth. A lack of quality depth that suited the system. Gray, Bergvall, Odobert, Spence, Richarlison/Solanke improves the squad for me at least. Along perhaps with a couple of the academy lads. And that was a priority (not the only priority, but a priority). That was very much needed.

And some of these players may very well do more to challenge for a regular starting spot than you think.

As always the true evaluation of a transfer window is impossible before a solid number of games are played. I really like the focus on youth. And also like also getting some more experienced players like Solanke.

Back