• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The transfer thread

Or we judge them after 5/6 or even 10 games rather than 1
I think it does need improving on. I get it’s a squad game but as I’ve said before I feel our attacking options are not great. Solanke not seen enough.

Son is on the decline and Werner and Johnson are bang average. Maddison is a funny one. So inconsistent.

So feel easily room for improvement in that lot.

I think it does need improving on. I get it’s a squad game but as I’ve said before I feel our attacking options are not great. Solanke not seen enough.

Son is on the decline and Werner and Johnson are bang average. Maddison is a funny one. So inconsistent.

I actually think our attacking options are fine. We score in pretty much every game. It is at the other end where we have problems and yet I think we'd all agree that our entire first choice back four are good players. I think we're missing an experienced, positionally sound defensive midfield player who can also help organise the back four.

It’s also about getting more from these decent players. Otherwise we end up like chavski.

The real potential is with the youngsters but we have to be patient. Bergvall took a verbal beating from vicario last night, but him, Gray, Moore and the new winger have oodles of potential.

We have two small issues to address: being clinical in attack. Being clinical in defence. Otherwise we’re fine 😂

I actually think our attacking options are fine. We score in pretty much every game. It is at the other end where we have problems and yet I think we'd all agree that our entire first choice back four are good players. I think we're missing an experienced, positionally sound defensive midfield player who can also help organise the back four.

Idk, we have to be better in attack too. Yesterday had we taken an opening and got the second goal, don’t you think we’d have eased home without any bother?

Idk, we have to be better in attack too. Yesterday had we taken an opening and got the second goal, don’t you think we’d have eased home without any bother?
We shouldn't need to already be 2 goals ahead of Leicester in the first 60 minutes to beat them. If that were Arsenal or Emirates Marketing Project or Liverpool they wouldn't have conceded the equaliser and then would've added a second as Leicester started to overcommit later on when chasing the game.

I’m not sure the starting 11 needs to be much stronger.
The start of last season shows that the first choice team has ability to do really well. The squad depth needed addressing due to the drop-off we saw.
Mentality issues needed addressing over time.
If you think our starting 11 is good enough to win the league then you're going to be severely disappointed, so yes our starting 11 needs improvement. It always does, even if we eventually win something we are still going to need improvement the following season.
Or we judge them after 5/6 or even 10 games rather than 1
It's not a judgement of one match though, this was largely the same starting 11 as last season. Our starting 11 as for now is not drastically different to last season. The team demonstrated many of the same issues systemically and individually that it suffered from last season.
I absolutely agree that if we had gotten a 2nd we may have even gotten a third and the game would have become easy and a coast session but that never happens with us despite the same reoccurring theme which does suggest that ultimately the attack isn't good enough because it never does put the opposition to the sword no matter how much possession we have.

Maybe Odobert and Solanke can convert more of that dominance into actual crystal clear cut chances that we convert. Otherwise it's more pining for 'almost chances' and "could have" wins

We have one more signing who wasn’t able to play
We had a lot of starters who seemed to fade very quickly in that second half
I wonder how much a lack of pre season is hurting them and they will catch up I’d still like Edersom from Atlanta

But it’s still one game to judge anything on

Harry Brooks and others, including posters on here, have made the point that the amount of times we give away possession in the final third is part of the problem. I think that's true. Bit early of course, but hopefully some of the new signings will help with that.

But yes, DM could also help. But we require a lot on the ball from that player, difficult to find the player that can do it all. Quite happy with Gray there as an option, but probably will take some time before he's at that required level.

We shouldn't need to already be 2 goals ahead of Leicester in the first 60 minutes to beat them. If that were Arsenal or Emirates Marketing Project or Liverpool they wouldn't have conceded the equaliser and then would've added a second as Leicester started to overcommit later on when chasing the game.
We don't need that to beat them. But the risk is there at one nil. Some games they will take that first or second chance in a game after creating very little until then. How we respond to that and how good we are at getting further ahead is important in mitigating that risk.

Agreed about the defensive midfielder. Such an important position.

Could not agree more, said on here a few times that our absense of a proper DM is a weakness in our M/F and should have been one of our first signings in the window. We have some very good CMs but none of them are able to do that job well.

Rumours building that we are close to Gomes from Wolves. He would be a monster of a DM in the Kante mould to help protect the back four, However I'm not sure how good his passing is or whether he would do well in receiving the ball and playing out from the back. Doesn't chip in with many goals either (Unless he is playing against us anyway!)

Still, As a pure DM enforcer, to shield the defence and help against counters etc. He could be a great signing.

Harry Brooks and others, including posters on here, have made the point that the amount of times we give away possession in the final third is part of the problem. I think that's true. Bit early of course, but hopefully some of the new signings will help with that.

But yes, DM could also help. But we require a lot on the ball from that player, difficult to find the player that can do it all. Quite happy with Gray there as an option, but probably will take some time before he's at that required level.
I'll probably get pelters for this but a player like Kalvin Phillips (if properly fit and up to speed) would probably have been perfect for us.

I'll probably get pelters for this but a player like Kalvin Phillips (if properly fit and up to speed) would probably have been perfect for us.
The player he was at Leeds would have been really good for us. No idea if and how long it would take for him to get back to that.

Joao Gomes would be a very good signing imo.

There is always the chance of a deflection or freak goal.

Our modus operandi is to out score not bore. And to get that second goal (which the goons or city would too) takes the pressure off. With less injuries and greater control.

Yesterday it wasn’t that we conceded as much as we didn’t seal it. The attack looked nervous - understandable with Solankes first game. It didn’t help that it was tipping it down.

Undoubtedly we have to improve in both boxes.

Rumours building that we are close to Gomes from Wolves. He would be a monster of a DM in the Kante mould to help protect the back four, However I'm not sure how good his passing is or whether he would do well in receiving the ball and playing out from the back. Doesn't chip in with many goals either (Unless he is playing against us anyway!)

Still, As a pure DM enforcer, to shield the defence and help against counters etc. He could be a great signing.
He would seem to me to be more competition for Sarr (who I thought had a very good game last night).

It seems to me that Ange doesn't want to play with a defensive minded midfield player. Looks like he wants 2 x number 8 type box to box players and another to play a kind of 8/10 hybrid type role. With the full backs both also getting so high up it certainly makes things interesting for our two centre backs

We really need some serious quality. He can change a game. Pick a pass. We will be up against a low block a lot this season. Maddison blows hot and cold.

Not sure how to feel about this window. It’s a weird one. Signed good youthful prospects. But is the starting 11 much stronger. I’m not sure about that. Bergvail will be the one to break into it in my view.

Hopefully the youngsters will have a bright future .

As I’ve said before our attacking options are mediocre. I know plenty disagree but that’s the way I see it.

We will hopefully see movement in last coming days of window.

Done a good job to clear some of the dross.

I know some will point to others not doing much but think we had a bigger gap to close.

Mediocre is harsh imo, it may not be full of world beaters but they are good players and suitable for the system.
Good enough to win the league, no, not unless city seriously fudge up or need a rebuild, but then every other team in the league is in the same boat.
Our best hope is that the real talent in the youngsters peak as city's team age and dip.

Mediocre is harsh imo, it may not be full of world beaters but they are good players and suitable for the system.
Good enough to win the league, no, not unless city seriously fudge up or need a rebuild, but then every other team in the league is in the same boat.
Our best hope is that the real talent in the youngsters peak as city's team age and dip.
Not for me. Werner is so poor. I personally don’t see the Johnson stuff others do.
Son looks on the decline.

I don’t think they are quality attack.

Oh well we will see. It’s all matter of opinion.

Back