• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

the Tim Sherwood man love thread

I like Tim, but on this occasion I have to agree with Bucuresti. His comments after the cup final were a nonsense. They didn't lose because they lacked a winning mentality. It was partly down to a gulf in quality and partly because Tim failed to set them up properly in the first place. Setting his team up against the top teams a is a very obvious weakness for Tim at the moment which vindicates Levy's decision not to appoint him as permanent manager. That's not to say the guy is not a good coach or will not improve but his record, at the moment, is abysmal.

He said they have had that mentality for four years, and it is a weight around their neck.

Unless Woolwich were naff or saw red Villa would have had to play at nigh-on their best to win - as at SF vs LiverClunge.

Really disappointed with Delph, he was looking good and positive while going forward - then tried three more people than he could handle each time while working out what to do next. A bit Dembele-ish, but quicker.

Good posts there BucurestiSpur.

As good as the Goons were and taking into account the gulf in class between the teams, Villa's performance was as abject a performance I've ever seen from any finalist in all my years watching the game. Even Bradford's recent 5-0 loss to Swansea was not so pathetic. One attempt and that was off target and not one corner ? You just can't lose a final like that, not even if you're up against the likes of Barcelona.

Sherwood has to look at himself but I get the impression he won't and that's why I don't think he will improve as a manager.

Wigan & Uwe Rosler lost their semi on penalties

Hull & Steve Bruce lost their final 3-2 aet - but left everything out on the pitch

Reading & Steve Clarke lost their semi 2-1 aet - only after a goalkeeping howler.

The Villa players and Sherwood were one dimensional and clueless. All to often they were shying away from any attempts to create a chance by some skill and understanding between players, opting instead, on getting it out to the wings and lumping it onto the big guys head time and time again.

The scum will be going for a never been done before hat-trick of wins, so next season, I don't care much for the EL or the League Cup. More than anything, I want Poch and the boys to get us that FA.Cup.

As much as I slate ole Timmy, i should revise that becoz of my age superiority, young Timmy, he did save Villa from relegation and got them to the FA cup final. Not bad in a season, and he doesn't shy away from harsh reality, even if his tactical acumen is limited. Harsh words to dross after losing the final in spectacularly lame n tame fashion, but not unwarranted i'm thinking.

I continue to follow him with interest - much like one who watches a busy crossroad, morbidly and in sick fascination ... hoping for a massive crash n pile up. Then jump up and shout, 'told ya so !', when it does happen.

Don't think he has the acumen or really deserves credit for league survival. He managed to get Villa to not be as bad as 3 other teams, nowhere near to their individual ability and it was still down to the wire.

Final - he was clueless. Even to set them up with the same mentality as the semi-final would have been better than that no show.

When I've got a moment I'll check what odds on him not lasting the whole of next season because I can't see him holding this job for a full 12 months.

He motivates and bigs players up obviously to start with but get the impression his 'charm' and abilities wear off after a while leaving not very much.

The problem for me is that it seemed to be Tims ONLY tactic...to hope that some fluky occurence would happen, even at 1-0 down at halftime he did nothing, gracefully poised that if the miraculous did happen 2nd half he would get the acclaim and if the worst happened he could safely point a finger at Villa's lack of winner mentality.

At the very least its well known that if you let Arsenal settle into their passing game and rhythm you are done. What did Villa have to lose going hell for leather the first 20-25mins? He knew Villa were man for man worse all over the pitch, there was nothing to lose from that.

The end result if 1-0/2-0/3-0/4-0 was immaterial, everyone expected it.
It was the 90minute humiliation of shameful non-performance thats got everyone united from neutrals, to villa fans to the arsenal fans, thats worse than at least being praised for having a go for half of one half.

Again it seems clear that Tims only tactic was to hope it was "one of those crazy days"

And as for the manager not really making any possible difference, Jose at Porto says hi. Ferguson at Aberdeen says hi. (bit picky that i know, but...)

Edit: Feel free to ignore that last line as both Jose and SAF had time to build teams to be fair to Tim.

It's one thing to say, make changes, it's another to have the players to carry them out. Villa just did not have the quality on the bench to really make much of a difference. Poor players are often weak tactically, so a change of formation may not have made any difference either.

He motivates and bigs players up obviously to start with but get the impression his 'charm' and abilities wear off after a while leaving not very much.
Sounds very much like a mentor of his.

Works better when you have a high turnover of players - wonder if he'll copy that too? Wonder if he'll find "an angle" to high player turnover as well.

I like Tim, but on this occasion I have to agree with Bucuresti. His comments after the cup final were a nonsense. They didn't lose because they lacked a winning mentality. It was partly down to a gulf in quality and partly because Tim failed to set them up properly in the first place. Setting his team up against the top teams a is a very obvious weakness for Tim at the moment which vindicates Levy's decision not to appoint him as permanent manager. That's not to say the guy is not a good coach or will not improve but his record, at the moment, is abysmal.

I think that's fair.

Captain Bellend said:
I have been contacted by a lot of those teams over Europe and offered us some reallyattractive younger players because they know I am a manager who will give them an opportunity to play.
There was me thinking he was the next Redknapp. Turns out he's the next Joe Royle

I know I think TS is a bit of a bellend (to say the least).

But SURELY he isn't THAT stupid to actually want to sign Ade?? Surely??

I know he isn't everyone's cup of tea but he is a football man, he loves the game and sometimes the passion spills over and he has held his hands up to even say that.

I think he is ok, done pretty well with us and Villa are Villa, its gonna be a middle of the road ride for him there....

That' all very well, but can 'passion' and being 'a football' man explain actually wanting to sign Adebayor?
I mean really??

Scara...IF he signs Ade and Andros, I might be forced to thank him. You? I know it hurts, but potential credit where it's due?

That' all very well, but can 'passion' and being 'a football' man explain actually wanting to sign Adebayor?
I mean really??
Ade did all right for him at Spurs so it's not really that much of a leap, is it? Tim's ego will also come into play and I'm sure he thinks he can get him firing on all cylinders again. And maybe he can.

Ade did all right for him at Spurs so it's not really that much of a leap, is it? Tim's ego will also come into play and I'm sure he thinks he can get him firing on all cylinders again. And maybe he can.

Ade did well for Tim in a squad that was the 5th/6th best in the league. Ade doing well at a club that is in the bottom 4/5/6 in the legaue is not a given, especially as he is physically deteriorating. In fact Villa will likely be the worst squad he's played in since his youth days.
If Tim really wants Ade he is more silly than i could ever possibly think

Back