• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official 2016/17 Premier League Thread

But they can't keep up! It has been proved that the vast majority are too slow.
Look at this weekend the Swansea goal was woeful refereeing.......funny but still woeful.
I dont want the game stopped but the refs need help.
Something has to change and it has nothing to do with their "authority" ask Cahill! It's all to do with helping them get it right!
Constantly overruling the refs will impact their authority. Two refs on the other hand, might be worth a shot. Didn't they try that out in a under 21/23 tournament a while ago, or was it only a suggestion that wasn't tried out? Can't seem to find anything about it.

Constantly overruling the refs will impact their authority. Two refs on the other hand, might be worth a shot. Didn't they try that out in a under 21/23 tournament a while ago, or was it only a suggestion that wasn't tried out? Can't seem to find anything about it.
I'm not too sure that will happen. Plenty of other sports have used technology and it hasn't undermined the ref's authority. There are threes refs on the pitch now but two don't seem to use their full authority. The linesmen need to become more actively involved.

I think limited video use after a goal is scored is a measure that won't really impact the game flow. Sort of like the rugby scenario where the ref asks the 4th official 'is there any reason why the goal can't be awarded?' It only takes a minute and the game will restart with a goal kick or tip off.

One other thing which might be looked at is off the ball incidents or violent conduct that were missed in real time. If the vid ref spots it then the punishment should happen there and then.

Once you start going into other things like offsides and whatnot the game will grind to a halt. Goals however decide games so best to try and take the ref out of that equation.

Edit: One last thing. I think all refs should be ex players.

Who's gonna decide when to use video? And when are they gonna interfere? In next stop of play, or stop it immediately? What if play is stopped for an apparent foul, and then it's not a foul anyway? And it would be fudgeing ridiculous if a foul is NOT given, then play continues for 5 minutes, and then it's decided it was a foul 5 minutes ago? It would end up like a fudgeing NFL game, where a 60 minute match takes 4 hours! And even with 20 replays, pundits discussing situations rarely come to a unanimous decision. Video is not the solution!!!! Players make mistakes all the time. The referees get MOST decisions right. It's part of the game. Deal with it.

Straw man after straw man. There's no reason the referee's authority needs to be undermined (quite the opposite, in fact, as evidenced in rugby). As braineclipse has pointed out, there are many possible solutions that could be explored. The sky needn't be falling.

I'm not too sure that will happen. Plenty of other sports have used technology and it hasn't undermined the ref's authority. There are threes refs on the pitch now but two don't seem to use their full authority. The linesmen need to become more actively involved.

I think limited video use after a goal is scored is a measure that won't really impact the game flow. Sort of like the rugby scenario where the ref asks the 4th official 'is there any reason why the goal can't be awarded?' It only takes a minute and the game will restart with a goal kick or tip off.

One other thing which might be looked at is off the ball incidents or violent conduct that were missed in real time. If the vid ref spots it then the punishment should happen there and then.

Once you start going into other things like offsides and whatnot the game will grind to a halt. Goals however decide games so best to try and take the ref out of that equation.

They are as active as they can. Their number one, and most important job, is monitoring and judging offside. When you do that, you have to have total focus on that. They can't look at everything else. If you take your eyes off that sight line for fraction of a second, you might miss what you are not supposed to miss. They look after other things when they are not occupied with looking for an offside. But they constantly have to be alert and keep in line with the 2nd last defender. It's a bloody difficult job, and I'm actually baffled that they get it right most times. A 2nd "main referee" might be a good idea though.

I just pictures Merson as a ref.........christ I'd pay to watch that.......

Linesmen should do far more and maybe have 4, but not behind the goal, put another 2 there if needs be.
Video ref would be constantly monitoring the game and giving feedback......no need for any stoppages...

Linesmen should do far more and maybe have 4, but not behind the goal, put another 2 there if needs be.
Video ref would be constantly monitoring the game and giving feedback......no need for any stoppages...
Merson would be fudging hilarious!!
4 linesmen? Should both on opposite sides judge offside? Would it have to be unanimous to be called offside then?

People are constantly questioning the referees on the pitch, from the sidelines, in the media and among fans.

The authority of the referees will be raised by them getting more decisions right. Video technology will increase the number of times the referee gets decisions right.

Just look at the way goal line technology influences the referees authority. They now get the right decision every time. No second guessing, no whinging players running after the referee after the incident, no managers complaining about those incidents to or about the ref, the media finds something else to talk about. Imagine the same kind of authority for penalties, red cards and aggressive play. A short 15-30 second stop in play a handful of times during the game is nothing more than we're already used to because of the normal stoppages for set pieces, referees talking to players and injuries. But all of a sudden the refs are getting the big difficult decisions right a lot more often.

Meanwhile players could actually be punished for stuff like diving at a much higher frequency and it might actually end up making the referees job a bit easier because all of the effort players put into conning and influencing the referee would have a much smaller chance of success and much higher risk of being punished.

How will this not improve the referees authority?

I think it's possible that with current technology we're not quite at a point yet where video technology should be implemented widely. But to not even want it tested out? To conclude based on preconceptions and no actual real world experience with video technology in football that it's a non starter, that I can't understand.

Well Merson might not pass the medical ;) but I can see the obvious benefit in having someone who knows football to ref it. They know the brick that players get up to on the pitch as they were probably doing it themselves!!! Some of them might even be fit enough to keep up with play.

Merson would be fudgeing hilarious!!
4 linesmen? Should both on opposite sides judge offside? Would it have to be unanimous to be called offside then?

Good point - no one likes a smart-arse!
I'm sure there could be protocols set up to overcome these type of events!

People are constantly questioning the referees on the pitch, from the sidelines, in the media and among fans.

The authority of the referees will be raised by them getting more decisions right. Video technology will increase the number of times the referee gets decisions right.

Just look at the way goal line technology influences the referees authority. They now get the right decision every time. No second guessing, no whinging players running after the referee after the incident, no managers complaining about those incidents to or about the ref, the media finds something else to talk about. Imagine the same kind of authority for penalties, red cards and aggressive play. A short 15-30 second stop in play a handful of times during the game is nothing more than we're already used to because of the normal stoppages for set pieces, referees talking to players and injuries. But all of a sudden the refs are getting the big difficult decisions right a lot more often.

Meanwhile players could actually be punished for stuff like diving at a much higher frequency and it might actually end up making the referees job a bit easier because all of the effort players put into conning and influencing the referee would have a much smaller chance of success and much higher risk of being punished.

How will this not improve the referees authority?

I think it's possible that with current technology we're not quite at a point yet where video technology should be implemented widely. But to not even want it tested out? To conclude based on preconceptions and no actual real world experience with video technology in football that it's a non starter, that I can't understand.

Very well put. Nothing undermines the referees authority more than getting the decisions wrong and not being allowed to change them.

Well Merson might not pass the medical ;) but I can see the obvious benefit in having someone who knows football to ref it. They know the brick that players get up to on the pitch as they were probably doing it themselves!!! Some of them might even be fit enough to keep up with play.

I have been watching the European football show this morning wow, some of the playacting is unbelievable. The Italian refs have to be so resolute and they take no flimflam.
They make some dubious decisions of course, the difference is they look like they are a little more savvy with players childlike behaviour.
The players do not argue with the frequency of let's say a Rooney who continually tells the refs to foxtrot oscar.

I think two refs would be a good idea

I played in the States in late70's early 80's and during that time they tried that, it was perfection and it was soon got rid of after the trail period.

As for fitness levels, all refs have to go through a tough fitness program and its not easy to pass. They are never going to be as fast/fit as the players who in most cases are much younger, but they are not unfit. I would hazard a guess and say most fans would struggles to pass the test they have to do.

Talkbrick, focussing on the 'hard done by' Chelsea and Cahill, for the Swansea 2nd goal, I agree, was a mistake and should have been disallowed.

However, not a word about Costa 's dangerous kick for Ckelsea's 2nd. Coasts clearly boots Naughton in head, should also have been disallowed.
Therefore, a draw was fair result.

Chelsea bleating could not have something to do with putting psychological pressure on refs for future upcoming decisions to be in Chelsea's favour, could they?

Media totally biased yet again.

Talkbricke, focussing on the 'hard done by' Chelsea and Cahill, for the Swansea 2nd goal, I agree, was a mistake and should have been disallowed.

However, not a word about Costa 's dangerous kick for Ckelsea's 2nd. Coasts clearly boots Naughton in head, should also have been disallowed.
Therefore, a draw was fair result.

Chelsea bleating could not have something to do with putting psychological pressure on refs for future upcoming decisions to be in Chelsea's favour, could they?

Media totally biased yet again.
You have to forgive Chelsea. They are in a state of shock that a decision went against them. They are just not used to it.

Not even with video technology will we get rid of all mistakes, because these people who watch the videos might not have a clue about football. I read Dermot Gallagher's ref watch, and I disagree with his verdicts on a weekly basis even after he's had the chance to watch replays from every angle as many times as he wants to. Today he said that it was right not to disallow Costa's goal yesterday because "it was so skillful". Now what the hell has that got to with it? It was dangerous play. Being kicked in the head by a full force kick can cause serious injury, and surely the referees are responsible for protecting players' health. When referees themselves say such a thing, then what hope is there? The rules says: "A scissors or bicycle kick is permissible provided that it is not dangerous to an opponent.", but here we have a referee who says that you should't disallow goals for it. They don't even follow the rules.

A second referee can help, as referees get closer to the action. But as long as referees haven't got a clue about football, and/or are spineless cowards who don't have the courage to make correct decisions even when they know what the correct decision is, you will get lots of mistakes every week.

I played in the States in late70's early 80's and during that time they tried that, it was perfection and it was soon got rid of after the trail period.

As for fitness levels, all refs have to go through a tough fitness program and its not easy to pass. They are never going to be as fast/fit as the players who in most cases are much younger, but they are not unfit. I would hazard a guess and say most fans would struggles to pass the test they have to do.

To be fair US football in the 70's is not a good benchmark. It works well in hockey. I don't particularly have a problem with the refs fitness but I doubt the ref at Stoke was in a good position to make a call if something had happened at our third goal as the attack was so quick.

Not even with video technology will we get rid of all mistakes, because these people who watch the videos might not have a clue about football. I read Dermot Gallagher's ref watch, and I disagree with his verdicts on a weekly basis even after he's had the chance to watch replays from every angle as many times as he wants to. Today he said that it was right not to disallow Costa's goal yesterday because "it was so skillful". Now what the hell has that got to with it? It was dangerous play. Being kicked in the head by a full force kick can cause serious injury, and surely the referees are responsible for protecting players' health. When referees themselves say such a thing, then what hope is there? The rules says: "A scissors or bicycle kick is permissible provided that it is not dangerous to an opponent.", but here we have a referee who says that you should't disallow goals for it. They don't even follow the rules.

A second referee can help, as referees get closer to the action. But as long as referees haven't got a clue about football, and/or are spineless cowards who don't have the courage to make correct decisions even when they know what the correct decision is, you will get lots of mistakes every week.
I fear it is your second paragraph which is most likely. My 'psychological pressure' amounts to your 'spineless cowards'.
If that kick was on the half way line the ref would have given a free kick, yet when it is in the box, we all of a sudden have a 'skill factor', doesn't brook much credibility in Gallagher's expertise.
I would still have technology, as if the 'tech ref' was biased it is more likely to be shown up and that knowledge, alone, might prevent the likes of Foy giving poor decisions on the pitch and the tech ref risking the wrath of commentators and public, if he acquiesced, very quickly.

Back