• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official 2016/17 Premier League Thread

how was Bravo not sent off yesterday, shocking tackle

I really think he's a bad choice for city, and he's bloody short for a keeper too, I think he'll be a bit of a liability
Yeah, but now he has to play more games.
Surely it's a one off - otherwise I'm getting the popcorn in

I was just about to write that it didn't look likely, but I'd fudging love it if Swansea could hold on. Then the super-clam scores... fudge it! fudging cheating clam bastard!

Shame they couldn't deny them all three points, and of course, a terrible shame to see Terry turning his ankle near the end.

Just watched the highlights of the Chelsea match and I know it's easy to say with replays but there were so many game changing events the ref got wrong.

The Fer goal was a blatant foul on Cahill. Costa's 2nd was dangerous play. He actually kicked the defenders head. They were the most obvious but there were plenty more.

Last edited:
Indeed, and there's still too many games being decided by poor officiation instead of by good football. The answer is staring everyone in the face, but the use of video technology for the important decisions carries with it the threat of a level playing field for all and that is going to be resisted to the last by the game's ruling class.

Indeed, and there's still too many games being decided by poor officiation instead of by good football. The answer is staring everyone in the face, but the use of video technology for the important decisions carries with it the threat of a level playing field for all and that is going to be resisted to the last by the game's ruling class.
Who's gonna decide when to use video? And when are they gonna interfere? In next stop of play, or stop it immediately? What if play is stopped for an apparent foul, and then it's not a foul anyway? And it would be fudging ridiculous if a foul is NOT given, then play continues for 5 minutes, and then it's decided it was a foul 5 minutes ago? It would end up like a fudging NFL game, where a 60 minute match takes 4 hours! And even with 20 replays, pundits discussing situations rarely come to a unanimous decision. Video is not the solution!!!! Players make mistakes all the time. The referees get MOST decisions right. It's part of the game. Deal with it.

Who's gonna decide when to use video? And when are they gonna interfere? In next stop of play, or stop it immediately? What if play is stopped for an apparent foul, and then it's not a foul anyway? And it would be fudgeing ridiculous if a foul is NOT given, then play continues for 5 minutes, and then it's decided it was a foul 5 minutes ago? It would end up like a fudgeing NFL game, where a 60 minute match takes 4 hours! Video is not the solution!!!! Players make mistakes all the time. The referees get MOST decisions right. It's part of the game. Deal with it.

There are a lot of potential solutions. Managers could have a limited number of challenges like in other sports, this would probably mean an end to players whinging for no reason too as no manager would be happy using up his challenges because their player acted like a dingdonghead. It could be up to the referee when he feels he didn't see a situation clearly enough or wants a "second opinion" on a decision. I think referees would learn quite quickly when to let play flow and when to stop it. The "5 minutes ago" thing is a misrepresentation of what those positive about video refereeing are talking about.

It could also be up to a 4th official or video referee when to intervene and overrule the referee or when to provide the referee with a second opinion.

Which solutions would work the best could be figured out by testing out various solutions in friendlies, youth games and smaller leagues gradually as organizations learn what works for football and what doesn't work. None of this happens because of opinions like yours means the governing bodies aren't even looking into what would work and what wouldn't work. Because you all know beforehand and with such certainty.

People have been this negative about most changes in most sports.

It was great to see Cahill bitch and moan about the foul. I bet he forgot about the two wins Chelsea have had, both winning goals scored by Costa, a player who shouldn't have even been on the pitch each time.

Who's gonna decide when to use video? And when are they gonna interfere? In next stop of play, or stop it immediately? What if play is stopped for an apparent foul, and then it's not a foul anyway? And it would be fudgeing ridiculous if a foul is NOT given, then play continues for 5 minutes, and then it's decided it was a foul 5 minutes ago? It would end up like a fudgeing NFL game, where a 60 minute match takes 4 hours! And even with 20 replays, pundits discussing situations rarely come to a unanimous decision. Video is not the solution!!!! Players make mistakes all the time. The referees get MOST decisions right. It's part of the game. Deal with it.

Could not agree more with this post, and as for those saying give managers a number of times they could throw a flag on the field to object that would be a stupid suggestion.

Refs have get decisions wrong just like all people do in their working life.

Younger fitter refs? (most are to slow and over the hill)
A ref for each pitch half?
There is no need to stop a game for video technology just have a video ref or two.
All refs are wired up anyway.

Just a bit of common sense is all that's needed.

Younger fitter refs? (most are to slow and over the hill)
A ref for each pitch half?
There is no need to stop a game for video technology just have a video ref or two.
All refs are wired up anyway.

Just a bit of common sense is all that's needed.
The problem is that these are things that will only apply at the top level. It won't do diddely squat for the lower leagues and youth football. The refs authority needs to be STRENGTHENED, no diminished.

The problem is that these are things that will only apply at the top level. It won't do diddely squat for the lower leagues and youth football. The refs authority needs to be STRENGTHENED, no diminished.

But they can't keep up! It has been proved that the vast majority are too slow.
Look at this weekend the Swansea goal was woeful refereeing.......funny but still woeful.
I dont want the game stopped but the refs need help.
Something has to change and it has nothing to do with their "authority" ask Cahill! It's all to do with helping them get it right!

Back