• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The midweek/weekend games thread

whos fatter?

• grant holt

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • mark viduka

Votes: 17 89.5%

• Total voters
In head 2 head games. Barca v Real, Barca v United. How many has messi won over ronaldo? And how often has Messi been the deciding factor. I don't know myself, I haven't checked. Just everytime I see the 2 clash it always appears to be Messi who provides the match winning performance.

I would argue that you cannot do head2head in that circumstance, how often have the rest of barcelona denied the RM players time and space to get the ball to Ronaldo and the RM players failed to stop the pass to Messi, football is a team game after all.

I would argue that you cannot do head2head in that circumstance, how often have the rest of barcelona denied the RM players time and space to get the ball to Ronaldo and the RM players failed to stop the pass to Messi, football is a team game after all.

Ronaldo didn't have Pepe trying to kill him every two seconds either. I'm not saying its decisive in the argument, but an important factor.

Ashley Young dives to win a penalty after receiving the ball in an offside position, Fergie says the ref did the right thing.

United lose after Wigan benefits from dubious decisions, Fergie goes mental.

I think whilst it's not a definitive factor in deciding who is better, the head to head comparison is some what significant. It's an absolutely massive game when the 2 collide. And each respective side looks to their talisman to produce the goods in the biggest of occasions. When one is continually trumping the other I'd imagine it's not a fact to ignore.

My main 'gripe' with derby games is the fact there can be numerous contributing factors to a lacklustre performance. I know a great player whould be head and shoulders above but if let's say your team-mates / tactics are wrong - the entire balance would struggle, etc. Same argument for winning the WC (random 6-7 games) to be considered a true great.

Look at Utd for instance- utterly humiliated at home to one their biggest rivals 6:1 but still on course to smash the league. Is Rooney a bricker player than Aguero or Balotelli for example?

But I agree mostly with your overall sentiemnt - perhaps Messi is the more-reliable but their system is also far more fine-tuned and hard to break. They simply obliterate any opposition. But Ronaldo simply makes up with goals in every other game so it largerly evens out.

Last edited:
Not to the mob-like extent of surrounding the ref like bullies demanding a red everytime someone dares to tackle them.

He's changed a lot since Utd

Zin, argue your point by all means, but be careful not to drift so close to personal abuse please.

As a neutral in this debate, Zin doesn't even get remotely close to personal abuse. Surely. I know there's new rules and such, but let's not swing too far.

As a neutral in this debate, Zin doesn't even get remotely close to personal abuse. Surely. I know there's new rules and such, but let's not swing too far.

Of course it doesnt come even remotely close to personal abuse, but rules are rules and are only open to interpretation by the ones that made and enforce them and in other words are fudging dying to start dishing out the points.

Of course it doesnt come even remotely close to personal abuse, but rules are rules and are only open to interpretation by the ones that made and enforce them and in other words are fudging dying to start dishing out the points.

Guess who just put themselves at the top of the list ;)

You called me, dear ?

:lol:

I feel like I should attempt to get some points to get a more of an edge to my online persona.

You're all dingdongheads.

I'm just joking please don't ban me.

Hope so, give it a few days and I'll have more points than Spurs.

Reason for a like button #198742981 ;)

ArcspacE you can get the assists info on the ESPN Soccernet site. Just google messi ESPN or ronaldo ESPN for their stats over the years (annoyingly they include international games and friendlies for the season so you'll need to scratch those off as I'm sure you'll agree they shouldn't be relevant).

The gamecast info you need to grab off each individual result, click on the team in question to get their results and then click on each result to see a Gamecast button which includes their starting positions (not sure how relevent) and their average positions throughout the game.

Both are unique talents in the game and levels above the rest but aslo at the very least - on par over the last 2 season, imv

Agreed that both are unique for this generation of footballers. I just believe Messi edges it as he creates more for his team mates and considering Real Madrid have outscored Barcelona I think that's saying something. You can't also dismiss the team Real have just because Barcelona have a great team surrounding Messi. Real have an equally impressive squad.

How accurate are the gamecast stats? Based on actual info or some blogger's interpretation of the game?

Just to summarise - do you disagree those 2 are on a similar level at the moment?

Bear in mind Ronaldo last night became the first human being in modern history to score 40 goals in 2 consectuive La Liga season. Something which hasn't been achieved to date in Italy, Germany or England's top leagues for that matter.

Back