• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The midweek/weekend games thread

whos fatter?

• grant holt

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • mark viduka

Votes: 17 89.5%

• Total voters
The Greek league game between leader Olympiakos and Panathinaikos was abandoned with eight minutes to go on Sunday because of escalating clashes between fans and the police.

Police announced that 57 people had been detained and a further 20 arrested, while nine police officers were
injured, two of them seriously.

"We dedicated several thousand personnel to policing the game and we faced, beginning two hours before the game started, escalating attacks," police spokesman Athanassios Kokalakis said.

Olympiakos, four points ahead of Panathinaikos before the game, was leading 1-0 from Djamel Abdoun's 51st-minute goal.

No Olympiakos fans attended the game at Olympic Stadium in accordance with a league policy not to allow visiting fans due to fears of violence.

Sports general secretary Panos Bitsaxis said on television that the state had taken "the best possible security measures" and accused football clubs of doing nothing to curb the fanatical supporters and of opposing the state's attempts to impose tougher sanctions. Bitsaxis left open the option of postponing the next round.

According to league rules, Panathinaikos is facing having three points deducted and a steep fine, up to €180,000, and could play several games in front of empty stands. Up to two points could also be deducted from the following season.

Clashes between police and fans started before the game, when hundreds of youths without tickets tried to enter the stadium. The conflict continued throughout, forcing the second half to start 35 minutes late.

A group of about 200 hooded individuals were seated in a VIP section, next to the players' tunnel. Some of them carried clubs and iron bars. They were confronted by a line of riot police on the other side of a trough, who they attacked at halftime.

At one stage, about 30 of the hooded hooligans isolated two policemen and attacked them with clubs and bars. The beating went on for about five minutes before another detachment of riot police came to their colleagues' rescue.

In the second half, Panathinaikos fans set fire to seats in the upper and lower decks. Referee Tassos Kakos abandoned the game when firebombs were added to the mix of projectiles thrown at police and photographers.

The firebombs — which were also thrown at police outside the stadium — were water bottles filled with gasoline, liquid ammonia and little sticks of dynamite.

"The noise was so much that the players could not concentrate," Olympiakos coach Ernesto Valverde said.

The stadium's electronic scoreboard caught fire and was damaged. Fire trucks entered the stadium's track to put out the fires but were attacked by fans, so trucks with water cannons were used instead. The fires were eventually put out.

"We had been cooperating with the police for almost a month in preparation for the game," league general manager Michalis Anagnostou said. "The result was not what we wished for."

Broadcaster NovaSports did not show any of the images of exploding firebombs, instead focusing entirely on the match.

Owner Forthnet Group released a statement saying they "will continue to isolate violent scenes and any message irrelevant to football."

Ha - a stalker

Well, this might shock you but I'm not able to monitor every thread continously for responses in addition to those being made on a Friday afternoon.

I said tongue in cheek 'I'm willing to bet' - not a certainty - well, I bet which I subsequently lost.

My personal observation here is for an El Classico final now that Utd are out. If you have a problem with that - not sure how I can help you seeing that you come across as some Barca die-hard ultras who takes offense of any mention of bias towards his beloved club.

What about Real Madrid getting second leg home advantage which you were clearly upset about when Barcelona got it? These were your quotes, I would hope you know what you are typing.

Also as I said, Hootnow's response you selectively quoted the betting part of it so you clearly read the rest of it which brought you up on your conspiracies.

Once more you've chosen to ignore responding to the replies and 'defend' yourself by calling me a Barca die-hard ultra. Barcelona can go fudge themselves as far as I'm concerned, unless that's something a die-hard would say in which case I love them so much I wish Messi would adopt me.

I'm going to throw a couple of chracteristics of conspiracy theorists and see whether you recognise your behaviour in them:

Relentlessness. They will always go on and on about a conspiracy no matter how little evidence they have to go on or how much of what they have is simply discredited. (Moreover, even if you listen to them ninety-eight times, the ninety-ninth time, when you say "no thanks", you'll be called a "sheep" again.) Additionally, they have no capacity for precis whatsoever. They go on and on at enormous length.

Inability to answer questions. For people who loudly advertise their determination to the principle of questioning everything, they're pretty poor at answering direct questions from sceptics about the claims that they make.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Yes, the theory suggested Madrid would also be favoured in order to hopefully meet in the final. Which part of that don't you understand?

What exactly is your problem, pal? I answered all your 'questions' - if you don't like the answers, go have a cup of coffee and a cookie and reminisce of better days. You'd soon feel relaxed and hopefully leave me alone. I'm not entirely sure what you want from me.

I think it's clear the only die-hard supporter here is the one who rips into Barcelona consistently but always gives Real Madrid no brick even when they get a better rub of the green from the 'theories'. That's my problem buddy. You just can't bring yourself to admit you are behaving like a Real Madrid ultra would.

But the fact it appears to bother you so much (to the extent of waiting in the shadows the entire weekend of me to re-surface and hit me with those quotes) indicates you are yourself a Barca die-hard who clearly feels offended at any allegations towards his club.

Eventhough I've already admitted Madrid's draw is also very favourable towards the ultimate goal

seriously, why cant we all enjoy the performances of both Real and Barca. Who gives a fcuk about anything apart from the facts that both sides play the best football on the planet right now

there is so so so much to admire about both clubs, players, managers, Messi, Ronaldo. It simply a joy to be alive to see these sides fighting it out week in, week out

I'd love to lie to you that I'm a Barca die-hard if it makes you feel better seeing as you've essentially not denied you are a Real Madrid one :)

I actually watch both Real and Barca as I enjoy both teams and they are always on the Al Jazeera channel, it really depends on what time the matches are on and genuinely hope either of the teams get far in the competition as they are a buffer to Chelsea winning it and therefore having unsufferable relatives for the rest of my life.

Stewart Downing has hailed his winning goal against Stoke as the highlight of his Liverpool career to date.

:lol: Not much competition is there.

Russian side Anzhi Makhachkala have called on Lokomotiv Moscow to identify the supporter who threw a banana at defender Christopher Samba after Sunday's game between them

Unbelievable, 2012 and sh#t like this still goes on ](*,)

I'd like to see Blackburn survive because I think Kean has done well to stick it out and has been putting out decent teams with decent formations and tactics - like he knows what he's doing. So I think he deserves to pull it out, and I actually think he might go on to be a very good manager with the experience. He has something about him Kean I think.

But I really turned against the Blackburn fans when they were on Kean's back earlier in the season and chanted for him to be fired. Their favourite chant at that time was: "You're getting sacked in the morning". Now, what bugs me so much about that chant is that it is a taunt. The Blackburn fans seem too dense to understand the difference between that chant and say "Kean out" or "We want Kean out" or "Sack the board", and those kinds of chants. Those are neutral expressions of their feelings, which would be fair enough. But "You're getting sacked in the morning" is sung at opposition managers because it's nasty and has an edge to it. You don't sing it to your own side, even if you want your manager out - there is no call to actually taunt the guy FFS! I'm not sure the Blackburn fans have the noodle to see the difference.

I had forgotten how crap rocha was

Watching the pompey brum game on the internet mainly so i can see townsend and wow rocha is having a mere for pompey, holly crap he has gone down hill fast, not that he was ever good for us, no wonder pompey are in the crapper with him playing for them.

Kane got a goal already i see.

Blackburn are fudged financially, even more so after the takeover. Can't see anyone doing much better than Kean has.

Back