• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread

Now that city could be proven to be cheats the press are pivoting away from the crap they have been peddling about how great they are and are now looking for a different turd to polish.
Arsenal and their "dark arts" are the best hope at the moment, but it could turn out to be Liverpool.
The media is desperate for a new title winner to help them maintain viewers and readers

The issue is for us that anyone but Arsenal is tolerable. I’ve seen fans of many other clubs excuse Arsenal’s play in a very odd way

Now that city could be proven to be cheats the press are pivoting away from the crap they have been peddling about how great they are and are now looking for a different turd to polish.
Arsenal and their "dark arts" are the best hope at the moment, but it could turn out to be Liverpool.
They really do set themselves up to be the team that can’t beat them legitimately so will push every other boundary to see how they can what they need

I found Arteta's 2nd half set up a bit odd, I don't think City a goal up at the Emirates but down to 10 men do the same thing and therefore he is, subconsciously at best, telling his team they are not as good as City. I'm so glad it didn't work out for them

The corner routine is obstruction, plain and simple. If it happened to a player at, say, a goal kick it would be blown for a foul so can't understand how it's being continually allowed. My guess is the laws will change to outlaw it before the start of next season/if Spurs benefit from a similar routine whatever comes sooner

Gamesmanship is one thing, targeting a player to injure and put them out of the game is another. In my opinion, they did that with, among others,Rodri yesterday. Trossard should have received a second yellow for deliberately taking out Silva with no attempt to play the ball, instead he got it for kicking the ball away. In other words Oliver would have let that incidence of violent play go.

I've said for a long while that referees ignoring the laws of the game is the biggest problem in football right now. We even have 2 of them nowadays with an on-pitch and video referee. It should be easier to manage a game.

The video referee should now be given an additional charter of informing the on-pitch referee on the dark arts, the professional fouls and the gamesmanship. We should even adapt the laws so more yellows are likely for a period before player behaviour reverts back to what it should be. There should also be more retrospective action on players and managers. Before that though, the 2 current referees should start following the current laws and stop making it up as they go along.

Yesterday's game should have been a football spectacle with the 2 best teams in the league playing each other. Instead, we see what football has degenerated into over the years. For me, the officials and the governing bodies need to step up and own this problem so football starts being entertaining again. It is currently dull as ditchwater. So much so, you never even hear the pundits talking about the skill in the game anymore. They only talk about the controversy on the pitch.

I found Arteta's 2nd half set up a bit odd, I don't think City a goal up at the Emirates but down to 10 men do the same thing and therefore he is, subconsciously at best, telling his team they are not as good as City. I'm so glad it didn't work out for them

The corner routine is obstruction, plain and simple. If it happened to a player at, say, a goal kick it would be blown for a foul so can't understand how it's being continually allowed. My guess is the laws will change to outlaw it before the start of next season/if Spurs benefit from a similar routine whatever comes sooner

It's a strange message to send out, and even if they should win the league it could feel hollow because he is imprinting a message.

The good news is that Arteta and his players aren't winning friends with the neutrals. I think a lot of neutrals had a soft spot for them when they started to transition and become an entertaining team again. More games like yesterday and they will become the pantomime villains of the PL.

Back