• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread

arse never had the benefit of facing bottle job fc in a CL final it must be said

in head to heads like that, making sure you don't lose is often a smarter play than trying to win, you run the analysis, you go with the numbers, thats pro football, you play the percentages

Fergie did it that way for years

You could argue their small time tactics cost Arsenal the title last season in the away game against Emirates Marketing Project when they had a depleted side and Arsenal still went there for a draw with no intention or interest in winning. Emirates Marketing Project had no KDB or Rodri for 70 mins and they played like Stoke.

And despite the hilarious ending, that’s a great result for arsenal today, and a deeply concerning one for city

I’m just happy they didn’t win and aren’t top of the league. Played the same way AT HOME to Brighton too I might add. Emirates Marketing Project would still be going for it even with 10 men at home. Same for Klopp’s Liverpool. Hell even we would.

Do any of the top teams/nations actually win with that Jose style recently? It’s pretty much dominated by attacking teams like Emirates Marketing Project, Madrid, Spain, Argentina, Bayern, Leverkusen, Barcelona. The only anomaly is Atletico.

I'd put Madrid and Argentina firmly in the dark arts category myself.

And they both seem to have plenty of fans.

But they attack and try to win football matches. They are street wise but that’s not the same as playing for set pieces like Arsenal do.

They both do a lot of that depending on how the game is going and who they are playing. Madrid had a very similar gameplay against City in the CL last year for example.

Arsenal were happy to attack us last week. It wasn't all setting up corners and FK's.

They approach each game with a specific plan for that opposition, which is exactly what you should do IMO. Its arrogance and a misunderstanding of human psychology to think you can have one way of playing and to use that every week irrespective of opponent.

They both do a lot of that depending on how the game is going and who they are playing. Madrid had a very similar gameplay against City in the CL last year for example.

Arsenal were happy to attack us last week. It wasn't all setting up corners and FK's.

They approach each game with a specific plan for that opposition, which is exactly what you should do IMO. Its arrogance and a misunderstanding of human psychology to think you can have one way of playing and to use that every week irrespective of opponent.

What?
What game did I watch last week?
They basically did a version of what they did against Emirates Marketing Project!!!!

If the second point is an Ange-aimed comment, I think the whole 'we only play one way' is a tad overplayed given that during games systems are fluid and players often interchange. If you're saying he doesn't take the pragmatist's 'this week we'll lo-block because they might be better' approach, then I'd wholly agree we don't and am happy to see us try to maintain our attacking/creative standards...

Do you work for the BBC by any chance? I only ask because every single article on BBC sport tonight is relentlessly pro Arsenal.
Agreed. I’ve seen two references along the lines of “would’ve been a massive statement win”. Statement win? Last year in the charity shield we saw a draw described as a ‘statement win’ and now we are seeing it again, albeit with the use of a different tense (conditional pluperfect? 😂😂).

Further, none of the articles get to the truth of the time wasting issue - that it is cheating - preferring to hide behind euphemisms such as ‘dark arts’, ‘gamesmanship’ etc.

My theory is that everyone in the media is so heartily sick of City winning the league every year that they’re happy to give arsenal as much of a free ride as possible, in the hope of assisting a new winner.

Agreed. I’ve seen two references along the lines of “would’ve been a massive statement win”. Statement win? Last year in the charity shield we saw a draw described as a ‘statement win’ and now we are seeing it again, albeit with the use of a different tense (conditional pluperfect? 😂😂).

Further, none of the articles get to the truth of the time wasting issue - that it is cheating - preferring to hide behind euphemisms such as ‘dark arts’, ‘gamesmanship’ etc.

My theory is that everyone in the media is so heartily sick of City winning the league every year that they’re happy to give arsenal as much of a free ride as possible, in the hope of assisting a new winner.
Gamesmanship is one thing, targeting a player to injure and put them out of the game is another. In my opinion, they did that with, among others,Rodri yesterday. Trossard should have received a second yellow for deliberately taking out Silva with no attempt to play the ball, instead he got it for kicking the ball away. In other words Oliver would have let that incidence of violent play go.

Now that city could be proven to be cheats the press are pivoting away from the crap they have been peddling about how great they are and are now looking for a different turd to polish.
Arsenal and their "dark arts" are the best hope at the moment, but it could turn out to be Liverpool.

Back